Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

• Members
1 hour ago, IrishHussar said:

In todays modern Army soldiers do train for many events other than Combat.

Yes, but Steel Beasts is a Combat Simulation.

You can also do other stuff with it, sure. It's also possible to play music with a saw, but no saw maker will start redesigning the tool based on the input of musicians.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Yes, but Steel Beasts is a Combat Simulation.

You can also do other stuff with it, sure. It's also possible to play music with a saw, but no saw maker will start redesigning the tool based on the input of musicians.

At the end of the day this is a wish list, a place to ask for future inclusions!

Your reply is a balance of argument against that request. Thank you, I understand you argument but I dont personally agree with you. 

"It's also possible to play music with a saw, but no saw maker will start redesigning the tool based on the input of musicians."

Bearing this in mind how tools are designed to be used and thereafter how they are used could be classed as intelectual developement.
To hinder the use, albeit for unitended applications, is akin to burning books, well nearly.
The use of the items requested is not even non millitary specific and Im sure the time to implement it is thousand times shorter than getting an individual to change his mind.   

• Members

Yes, it's a wish list. You may wish anything here (if it's Steel Beasts related). I'm just telling you why it's unlikely that your wish will be fulfilled instead of just remaining silent.

True, it would be easy to do, but here's where my own ideas about what Steel Beasts is and what it's not come into play. Who knows, there may be a very good argument that I haven't heard yet that changes my mind.

6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Yes, it's a wish list. You may wish anything here (if it's Steel Beasts related). I'm just telling you why it's unlikely that your wish will be fulfilled instead of just remaining silent.

True, it would be easy to do, but here's where my own ideas about what Steel Beasts is and what it's not come into play. Who knows, there may be a very good argument that I haven't heard yet that changes my mind.

Billboards!

That move!

:D

22 minutes ago, DavidRN said:

Hi There 

Would be handy if you had the ability to copy and paste directly from WP to the terrain map e.g objectives and so on.

Or from the briefing itself.

DavidRN

David you can, at least from Notepad, I don't know about Word, etc.

You can export the briefing to Notepad, select the text you want, go to SB Mission Editor, select "New text" and then Paste.

FWIW, I usually write the briefing in Word, taking advantage of spell checking etc. Then Copy / Paste into Notepad (strip out the surplus "helpful" Word formatting) then Import into the Scenario.

i wanted to include a request following the camera editor before the thread was parsed and broken off to a new topic:

a camera shaking or bouncing effect related to nearby blasts or explosings of sufficient power, and some kind of recoil related effects when using crew served weapons or light machine guns. related to the camera editor it would be a nice visual effect as well for video makers.

6 minutes ago, Captain_Colossus said:

i wanted to include a request following the camera editor before the thread was parsed and broken off to a new topic:

a camera shaking or bouncing effect related to nearby blasts or explosings of sufficient power, and some kind of recoil related effects when using crew served weapons or light machine guns. related to the camera editor it would be a nice visual effect as well for video makers.

Not totally disagreeing here, but I think this should be kept to the same realm as the camera animation editor

(Mission editor only)

The reason I say this, is back in SB 1 if you took a hit you were bounced back into the Gunner's F1 view.

And that was annoying, really annoying, so annoying it stopped with SB 2

i should clarify: i did not think of so much the gunner view, but say for example when the player is using the infantry first person view, or say, and exposed TC out of the hatch when a HE projectile lands nearby- some sort of suppressive or visual effect which is temporarily disorienting or distracting.

of course this could also be a toggle in the preference settings for the user's discretion.

20 minutes ago, Captain_Colossus said:

In the meantime, a good work around in the camera animation editor is to set multiple angles to create a "Shakey Cam" effect about 1-2 keyframes apart will do the trick right now. That would be easier though :)

On 7/13/2022 at 5:57 PM, Ssnake said:

Ha gotcha!!!

Cut from another thread but your words,
"4.

Steel Beasts is a tool for

a - gunnery and crew procedure training; here, the accuracy of armor models is of lesser importance"

Only joking!!!

On 5/22/2022 at 6:58 PM, Mirzayev said:

Figured I'd spare everyone from requesting satellite-based lasers, modeling of ICBMs, or <Insert Random Low-Production Prototype Here> and focus instead on asking for some more quality of life/planning phase improvements.

1. Having a number of participants counter be displayed for all players during a Network Session. Yes, the host can see this on their end somehow; I'm not a host with a server key. The issue is that the host is sometimes not the "leader" of the session, who needs to know if they are up on the proper number of players (or if the new guy is still in TeamSpeak and doesn't have the IP address), how to adjust the manning roster, etc. Something like this would be great, with the "# Of Participants Here" saying 15 in this case. 

image.thumb.png.cde7c0f64da2a7ffe00174111f267a7f.png

2. Having a "flip text" option associated with graphics, where it turns the text 180 degrees but still locks it in to rotate with the graphic control measure. Sometimes you just want the text to be the other way, and don't wanna have to start moving text while changing from 22 to 45 degrees until it finally fits on the map overlay while still being legible. 

image.png.2eefb000d4ba111ad7bc072491d3cdef.png

3. Being able to hold down the SHIFT key while placing a custom line to lock it onto a road. This would make creating route graphic control measures a LOT quicker. This is my second most common use for custom lines (phase lines are the first). 

4. Having the Axis of Attack being "drawable" similar to the Direction of Attack, where the graphic control measure shapes itself to your desired direction as opposed to being a rigid "arrow." This is doctrinally appropriate (US, ADP 3-90):

An axis of advance ((name change; same method of marking)) November 2020) provides a general area through which the bulk of a unit’s combat power must move.

A direction of attack (November 2020) a specific direction or assigned route a force uses and does not deviate from when attacking.

Sometimes I want assigned combat power to move anywhere within a larger area to get into an advantageous position, versus moving along an assigned route and not deviating from it. 

Just bumping this so it doesn't get forgotten in the next update. ;)