Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

6 hours ago, Parachuteprone said:

Now if we had a "disregard target"  option so the commander could over ride the gunner when he is pumping the entire ammo load at a target he can't hit. That would be great.

Already there.

"H" as above and as per the keyboard template.

Or if its an AI controlled unit, set the Fire Control range appropriately.

Edited by Gibsonm

I believe "hold fire" instructs the gunner to stop firing.

I don't want him to stop firing altogether.

I would like him to find another target and stop firing countless rounds into the ground or building etc., which is preventing him from hitting his current target.

Instead, I would like him to find a new target that he "can" hit.

I've tried finding another target for him but he keeps shooting at the initial one.

I've tried telling him to scan in another direction, which he does then locks back on his original.

By this time I'm usually dead from all the other enemy coming at me.

I've even tried using reload, but then it's back to the same target.

Only thing that sometimes works is to retreat completely out of sight then move forward again. 

(By this time my tank has usually expended most or all of it's ammunition)

Only other thing that works is if someone else happens to destroy the target for me.

Edited by Parachuteprone

1 hour ago, Parachuteprone said:

I believe "hold fire" instructs the gunner to stop firing.

I don't want him to stop firing altogether.

I would like him to find another target and stop firing countless rounds into the ground or building etc., which is preventing him from hitting his current target.

Instead, I would like him to find a new target that he "can" hit.

I've tried finding another target for him but he keeps shooting at the initial one.

I've tried telling him to scan in another direction, which he does then locks back on his original.

By this time I'm usually dead from all the other enemy coming at me.

I've even tried using reload, but then it's back to the same target.

Only thing that sometimes works is to retreat completely out of sight then move forward again. 

(By this time my tank has usually expended most or all of it's ammunition)

Only other thing that works is if someone else happens to destroy the target for me.

What if you lay the Gunner onto the new target and hit "T"?

Firing 20 or so rounds sounds like you have stayed in the same place for far too long (which it why you are attracting lots of incoming enemy fire).

We usually train to fire one or two rounds before "jockeying" (reversing back to dead ground, displacing laterally and then coming back up to a new firing point).

8 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

What if you lay the Gunner onto the new target and hit "T"?

Firing 20 or so rounds sounds like you have stayed in the same place for far too long (which it why you are attracting lots of incoming enemy fire).

We usually train to fire one or two rounds before "jockeying" (reversing back to dead ground, displacing laterally and then coming back up to a new firing point).

I do move, but the gunner keeps throwing rounds until LOS is blocked so you may waste rounds while repositioning.

It's even worse if you are immobilized and the enemy keeps throwing rounds at you while you're trying to get the gunner to change target.

Actually switching to the gunner position seems a bit gamey to me so I don't like to do it unless the gunner is hurt.

I've always used arrow up (Gun to peri) to designate targets, thinking it does the same thing as T.

I'll try T.

Thanks

• Members

I don't know if T, used from the CDR's position, really helps to make the AI GNR switch to the new target; its original intention was for the gunner to temporarily "stun" the AI CDR's attempts to redesignate or to change to a different target right in the middle of an engagement.

But if it helps, maybe something happened in the last years that I missed, so I guess it's worth trying out. It may however just as well be that the fact that you're overriding the gunner and take the time to press T gives him that one extra second to recognize the new target in his sight, and simply switches to it because the intent is now clear.

A super-quick target handover might fail if the gunner doesn't "see" the new target, and "because there isn't anything here" goes back to the location where he knows enemy to be hiding.

I'm super new here, but ive been playing the game about 1 month now.  Thought i'd toss in my few wishes.  T-80BVM (I know its very close to in-game T-72B3) and German Puma IFV.  

I'd also love to see a Suwalki Gap map.  

t80bvm.png

SPz-Puma-KMW-003.jpg

So there is the H key

I guess what we're asking for is a manual "reduce this target priority in the hive mind target list" key

But that would only work with 2 or more "visible" targets to that vehicle

Which brings me to

Mission editor Test mode Feature

Setting to show player which targets are visible to the AI Hive mind in the observer view (not the over head view)

Something like a blue arrow pointing down at it? Or a drone TIS red hybrid highlight?

• 2 weeks later...

Ability for a player in drone to send target / obstacle to hive mind by pointing crosshair on visible part of target / obstacle ans  pressing SHIFT + CTRL 

also wishing this to work on all other optics on all vehicles with crosshair. as way of telling AI that plaer has seen enemy. lazing generally works but its not always reliable. 

generally on blind vehicles occupied by player atleast with binocular pressing SHIFT + CTRL will mark targets.

this currendly doesnt work or i havent found way how to get it work in a drone  or auxiliary sigths. 

Edited by Lumituisku

I think T-72B1 Obr. 2022/2023 (Unofficial name) would be interesting. IIRC they're T-72B3M Obr. 2022's but with 1PN96MT-02 thermals instead of the Thales unit. Seems like some additional top ERA too.

FnggKQ-WIAUBciu.thumb.jpg.3fbd00a6c88aa0bffec768eaa9241052.jpg

Edited by Arch

Further develop the Mission Debugger tool.

I'm in the midst of trying to understand someone else's work.

I'm sure in their head they knew what they were doing and the various linkages / relationships.

However I'm encountering Events which in turn rely on Conditions and those Conditions are in turn based on yet more Triggers, Conditions, Events, etc.

In some cases the there are six or more layers / links between the top level Event and the the initial inputs.

Is there a way / possibility to develop a system whereby selecting a Route from the map, or an Event or Condition from the menu will result in the displaying what contributes to this?

e.g. Click on say a conditional route ("embark if ...", "retreat if ...") or a waypoint with associated conditions (Dismount if ... or Open fire if ... or Hitch nearby vehicle if ... or any of the others with "something if ...") and have the Conditions or Events or Triggers that induce that "if ..." displayed?

Similarly click on a given Condition or Event in the Control Logic menu and have its dependencies displayed?

This would avoid the current approach of taking screenshots, printing them off and then trying to build a spreadsheet telling me Condition X influences how many other things.

Perhaps a Ver 5 feature?

Edited by Gibsonm

6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Further develop the Mission Debugger tool.

I'm in the midst of trying to understand someone else's work.

I'm sure in their head they knew what they were doing and the various linkages / relationships.

However I'm encountering Events which in turn rely on Conditions and those Conditions are in turn based on yet more Triggers, Conditions, Events, etc.

In some cases the there are six or more layers / links between the top level Event and the the initial inputs.

Is there a way / possibility to develop a system whereby selecting a Route from the map, or an Event or Condition from the menu will result in the displaying what contributes to this?

e.g. Click on say a conditional route ("embark if ...", "retreat if ...") or a waypoint with associated conditions (Dismount if ... or Open fire if ... or Hitch nearby vehicle if ... or any of the others with "something if ...") and have the Conditions or Events or Triggers that induce that "if ..." displayed?

Similarly click on a given Condition or Event in the Control Logic menu and have its dependencies displayed?

This would avoid the current approach of taking screenshots, printing them off and then trying to build a spreadsheet telling me Condition X influences how many other things.

Perhaps a Ver 5 feature?

I would often come back to old work in whatever I was doing and get confused and spend needless time reverse-engineering my own system, and anything that has to do with coding or gamelogic is the worst in this regard. Ideally you would leave good hints and make notes, but this isn't an ideal world. It also wastes time. So + to this.

For extra points I'd love to be able to re-sequence Events and Conditions too.

I like to create these as they occur in the scenario (i.e. the first event might be a message at H= 00:01).

That way as you look down the list you have an idea as to how the mission progresses.

Of course there will be times when you get up to say event 20 and you remember something that should by rights sit between Event 6 and Event 7, but its now Event 21.

However in the mission I'm working on the initial messages at the start are generated by Events 49 and 50!

It would be great to either "Drag and Drop" to re-sequence or somehow otherwise re sort the list without having losing the linkages.

Something along the lines of how you can change an Event or Conditions user friendly name (the underlying label of "Event X" doesn't change) and the various conditional statements just reflect the new user friendly name.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

I thought we had that automatically - if your map/mission had selected a desert theme, and you then set a visibility of under some value (possibly 1,000m)?

Maybe you now also need to set a certain minimum wind speed. Please try it out and let me know the results.

i just tried it with 500 meter visibility, zero windspeed and the sun at the 12:00 position, the fog-in effect is stark white on a desert map. it is somewhat possible to do this based more on the time of day- early dawn or dusk  sort of produces a darker fog with the sun a little bit more above the horizon- but this is not the same. it is not exactly like a regional shamal, nor does it last long as the sun rises or falls past a certain window.

Two things that I'd like to see:

1.  Some form of representation of radars.  Suggestion, at least as a first step, would be non-functioning VISMOD of:

- vehicle/ground mounted GSR.  Aim is to represent something like the MSTAR or equivalent - a box with a small rotating (?) dish approx size 60cm.  It may be good if this could be modeled in similar fashion to RWS, and allowed as option on a number of vehicles, or "ground mount" in similar fashion to the current ground mount RWS.  

- vehicle/ground mounted "billboard" radar.  Aim is to represent something like the "Zoopark" or AN/TPQ-36 - an approx 2m x 3m (?) rotating billboard.  Ideally able to be mounted to variety of suitable vehicles such as MT-LB as an option (?), or alternately as a static/truck mounted container based system

- mast mounted radar.  Aim is to represent something like  the Swedish"Giraffe" or Russian "Clamshell" - a rotating dish (?) of approx 1-1.5m on an extendable mast.  Like the "billboard" radars, could be mounted to a variety of suitable vehicles, or alternately as a static/truck mounted container based system.

I acknowledge that introducing any form of radar opens up a whole new can of worms, particularly in regard to a requirement (?) to be able to then detect active radar systems.  I'd be happy with a simple representation at first, although:

- the ground mount RWS will already autonomously detect and report enemy in line of sight - this could be sufficient of the vehicle/ground mount GSR.  Could that detection zone be increased and the RWS report "unknown" contacts out to a reasonable range (10km?)?

- could any system intended to represent a counter battery radar be made capable of detecting and reporting artillery/mortar/rocket lines of fire?

2.  Boats.  I'm trying to develop littoral scenarios, but am challenged by the absence of watercraft.  I'd love to see an initial representation of:

- small watercraft like RHIB.  May be optionally armed.  Should be able to to carry up to 10 (?) infantry.  

- Fast armed patrol craft.  Something like the Swedish CB-90, able to represent (with a degree of squint) a number of similar sized craft.  Armed with HMG.  May be optionally armed with light missile systems.

I also acknowledge that boats now introduces issues regarding sea states and relative depths of waterways - but in the short term, let's just ignore those..........

Have I mentioned before the need for units to identify themself when they call out a target? I cant tell if my gunner or my wingman (who could be pointing a different directioni) is calling out the "Tank Right!"

"One-Four! Tank to the front!" As I understand they do it in real world.

The unit names might be need to be simplified for the sim, as I show above.