Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Been doing all of those things. When I can't find an answer, or if the info is not consistent with what I'm seeing in the sim, I ask the question. Maybe I don't know how to use the search in the wiki or the forum, but I just type in some key words, wade through the threads, using CTL f to find said key words, and then post. If you only knew how many times I didn't post.... ;)

The wiki search hasn't normally yeilded anything for me. I invariably wind up in the index looking for topics. Entering "artillery" into the wiki just says this page has been locked to prevent editing, and sends me back to the main page.

Not sure what else I can do to search wiki/forum. Sorry for wasting people's time.

Hi Rangoon.

The SB Wiki is a very comprehensive.

But as i imagine you have discovered armoured warfare is very complex.

I have been studying it for years.and some on this site make a living from it.

I can understand your enthusiasm for SB. but from my time playing SB i

Have discovered what i consider the best way to learn join a VU and watch and listen.

Hi Rangoon.

The SB Wiki is a very comprehensive.

But as i imagine you have discovered armoured warfare is very complex.

I have been studying it for years.and some on this site make a living from it.

I can understand your enthusiasm for SB. but from my time playing SB i

Have discovered what i consider the best way to learn join a VU and watch and listen.

I make my living crop dusting by helicopter, and my schedule is far too unpredictable to join a VU, unfortunately. I hope to in the late fall/winter, but not until then.

Here are the words I've typed into the wiki, with zero results: TOW, record, records, artillery, GAS, ammo, reload, reloading, etc... I guess I need to find a new approach to the wiki, then, if it's really that comprehensive. I don't doubt that it is, but that's why I wind up in the index/complete index. I had started to basically give up on the wiki. I even know there is a page called Ammunition, but a search for ammunition comes up with nothing. Not sure why that would be.

• Members

While the manual does NOT list a complete list of all weapon systems and munitions, all the ammunitions listed in documents like "Choosing Ammunition" and the user manual's appendix chapter "Battlefield Hazards" do list the ATGMs that have always been part of SB Pro. By and large, they simply vary in range, flight speed, and terminal performance (also, whether they are top attack of tandem munitions).

Another option is to simply open the mission editor, and to place a few units that should be capable of lobbing missiles, and then go to the Options.... Ammunition menu to see what's available. You'll find quite a lot.

While the manual does NOT list a complete list of all weapon systems and munitions, all the ammunitions listed in documents like "Choosing Ammunition" and the user manual's appendix chapter "Battlefield Hazards" do list the ATGMs that have always been part of SB Pro. By and large, they simply vary in range, flight speed, and terminal performance (also, whether they are top attack of tandem munitions).

Another option is to simply open the mission editor, and to place a few units that should be capable of lobbing missiles, and then go to the Options.... Ammunition menu to see what's available. You'll find quite a lot.

I went the editor route. I never trust game manuals to be 100% up-to-date for various reasons.

In the editor, I only see AT-3 & AT-4 variants available. It is my understanding there is significant difference with these and modern ATGW missiles like AT-14. I thought AT-14 had TI capability for example.

It just seems Red gets a little short changed. The available Blue missiles seems fairly current and extensive, but Red seems to be working with at best, 20-year old ATGW missiles.

Have you checked the "documents" folder under your "Esim Folder" in your start menu? There are quite a few documents there on tactics, weapon systems, ammunition, maps etc.

Yes, I was basically able to spend the whole weekend going through tutorials and re-reading the manual, etc. I skimmed all of the documents in that folder (same folder where the manual is found), but spent real time learning about NATO symbols, and a few other topics, from one of the army field manuals.

Rangoon,

You can also try Google's site search. It might give you better results:

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/sitesearch/

Thanks, I will give that a try!

Edited by Rangoon

I don't know where you looked, but the T-72B can have missiles, the T-80, the BRDM-2/AT, even the BMP-2, all of which are neither AT-3 nor AT-4. Not to speak of infantry missile teams.

I was speaking specifically of infantry portable missiles.

A few additional, small things I’d like to see in SB Pro PE for us Cold War aficionados, based on gaps I’ve noticed when developing or thinking about scenarios:

• RPG-16D for Soviet airborne troops
  • SPG-9 recoilless rifle for Soviet motorised rifle and naval infantry troops
  • M47 Dragon for US infantry
  • SA-7 / SA-14 / SA-16 / Redeye / Stinger-style MANPADS without “tripod” / base and lacking ability to engage ground targets like RBS 70

Cheers

I've read that an upgrade of the sound system is planned for the future (beyond 3.0) so this will probably be fixed if a proper positional audio system is used, but I figured I'd mention it now:

Currently (as of 2.654) sounds are in stereo, but when you pan the view the stereo position of any currently playing samples stays fixed. For example: I hear a gun fire directly to my right, so I look that way while the sound is still playing; Instead of panning to the center, the sound will continue to play from the right channel only, which can make it a bit hard at times to be certain which direction sounds are actually coming from.