Reversing

VFRHawk

Think I must be mis-understanding something here, so hopefully someone can put me straight....

If I'm in the drivers position, and I press the "D" key whilst going forward (I believe) the sim shows the effect of the tanks right track slowing so the left track drives round it, long way of saying the tank turns right. However when I'm reversing, I'd expect pressing "D" to slow the right track and again the left track should drive round it, turning the front of the tank to the left. However, it doesn't it still seems to turn the tank to the right?

Am I mis-understanding how tanks steer, or is there some system in the real thing that reverses the affect of the steering when going in reverse?

Graham :confused:

It's not modeled like that where you're controlling individual treads, more like a car. The direction you press is where the front of the tank will face.

When you press "D" you're turning the front of the tank to the right. While moving forward that turns you right. While moving backwards it turns you left. If you turn your view around it'll be "normal", ie pressing "D" will turn your tank to the right if you're looking backwards. :)

So on a modern tank the steering steers in the "opposite" direction when it's in reverse? Clever....

Well in a “modern” tank you should be able to do a “neutral” turn (where one track goes fwd and the other goes back), so it turns in it’s own length. ;)

Of course the “slowing one side down” technique is still in use for more gradual turns too.

Thought it just felt counter-intuitive tbh - in a car if I turn the wheel to the right going forward, the front of the car turns right. In reverse, the front turns left. In SB it turns right in both forward AND reverse! Having very briefly driven a Chieftan (over a Ford Sierra, good use for it!) I expected a tank to do the same. Didn't realise newer tanks had got so complicated!

Didn't realise newer tanks had got so complicated!

Quite the opposite.

Tanks too now have steering wheels for this reason:

Yeah, most of the drivers are 19-year old kids :biggrin:

Makes training easier.

"You ever Driven a car son?"

"Sir! Yes, Sir!"

"Good, thats the first month of training done already"

:biggrin:

Think I must have got lost somewhere in this conversation .... the tanks in SB DON'T behave like a car, so if you've passsed your driving test you're in for a shock reversing a tank - it turns the other way when you turn the steering wheel to a car?

In a car, turn the wheel right whilst going forward, the car goes to the right at the front, in reverse the front of the car turns left. In steel beasts (and from this convo I was assuming modern tanks also) turn right in both forward and reverse! :confused:

• Members

...hence our practice as Leo 2 commanders when backing up and giving driving commands to the driver to cross our arms to remind you to say "right" when you meant to go left. Some crews had the driver to cross the arms, but I always considered that as a bad practice as it is less safe, obviously.

Thanks to the backup camera, this is no longer much of an issue.

• Members

Well, we didn't want to make it too complicated. In any position that is not the driver's position, driving commands must be understood in SB as commands to the driver who will then follow your intent instead of literally turning the steering wheel per your key presses.

Well, we didn't want to make it too complicated. In any position that is not the driver's position, driving commands must be understood in SB as commands to the driver who will then follow your intent instead of literally turning the steering wheel per your key presses.

But it does exactly the same when you occupy the drivers position so it does not mimic a steering wheel but is the opposite. It is counter-intuitive or complicated. The D key should tell the driver the vehicle goes to his right whether forward or reverse.