CV9035 observations

RIPper

I've been going through the CV9035 tutorial missions - the vehicle is great, there's a lot of attention to details. I've noticed that this is probably the first vehicle where the gunner can look out of his hatch - not very useful but great for immersion :). I've encountered some questions/problems:

- it's very hard to destroy the Mi-24 with KETF munition, especially from the front. In several instances I needed at least 20 hits (the submunition was hitting the chopper, I could see the small impacts in the IR sight)...Maybe I was doing something wrong, because the text of this specific tutorial was in Danish (I think this was reported already).

- I had trouble completing the first few tutorial missions - I think I wasn't really destroying the targets. As this is more of a "1 shot to kill" vehicle, I was expecting a reply from TC like "target, re-engage" when I should've continued firing. Instead I got only "target" which I understood as target destroyed. Only later I noticed that the TC stops me from firing by saying "target, cease fire"..... So there was some confusion on my side as I expected different orders. Was this changed overall in the sim? I don't remember being confused in other missions. Maybe it was just some brain damage on my side yesterday :)

- in the tutorial for emergency mode, I think I got too much damage before the phase where I should be using manual traverse. There was a big explosion and TC, turrent, tracks etc all were dead - I couldn't even use the manual traverse.

- I can't really see anything useful from the vision blocks (not the 1:1 sight, but from the ordinary ones). They seem to be pointing slightly upwards.

- some keyboard shortcuts didn't work (e.g. closed bolt button). This might be caused by my existing settings maybe (though I've never changed the controls).

- what's the SOP for using closed bolt button? Should I generally press the "closed bolt" button before every shot for better accuracy? I'm asking because i'm lazy to press it ;) If yes, then I think I'll need to bind it on some button on the mouse, because with the default key it's slightly awkward.

• Members

I'll need more time to answer the rest (if I can, at all), but this one is relatively easy:

what's the SOP for using closed bolt button? Should I generally press the "closed bolt" button before every shot for better accuracy?

1. You can only fire single rounds in closed bolt mode, so it's useful only against point targets.
  2. Firing speed is drastically reduced for obvious reasons, so it's useful only in situations where you have reason to expect to kill the target with one or two rounds only.
  3. In real life, the gun barrel will heat up more in closed bolt mode. We do not (yet) simulate this effect in SB Pro.

From these two and a half governing principles you should be able to work out a reasonable set of operational practices and procedures.

• Members
some keyboard shortcuts didn't work (e.g. closed bolt button). This might be caused by my existing settings maybe (though I've never changed the controls).

Would be helpful to know more details here, e.g. were certain hotkeys listed in the tutorial briefing that didn't work or were changed (which hotkeys, which tutorials) - or is it a matter that the Controls dialog box doesn't show the right hotkeys, even if you load the default set?

(You can safely load the defaults so after exporting/saving your current hotkey layout in the Controls dialog box; you can afterwards import your custom layout again).

As this is more of a "1 shot to kill" vehicle, I was expecting a reply from TC like "target, re-engage" when I should've continued firing. Instead I got only "target" which I understood as target destroyed. Only later I noticed that the TC stops me from firing by saying "target, cease fire".....

I think the "cease fire" order is only given when the mission is over, that is, when you have destroyed all targets. So I don't think this has anything to do with a particular target being destroyed or not, while the mission is still going on. Or did you get the "cease fire" order in the middle of the mission?

• Members

You'll also get the cease fire command if the unit arrives on a waypoint with fire control orders that prevent engaging that specific target (or if you embark on a route with similar restrictions) - in other words, whenever you're naughty and shoot when you shouldn't.

Replay-ing some of the tutorials, here's some more detail:

Gunner's 3rd tutorial - IR sight:

- I destroyed most targets with 1 shot. Orders from TC were always: "Gunner, sabot, PC", "Fire", "Target, cease fire". In one case I had problems hitting a BMP in a ditch (shot either short or over, I needed maybe 5 shots to hit it) - I think the TC didn't say anything like "short" etc.

- the final target didn't appear, even though all the previous ones were destroyed, I've checked this in AAR

- see attached AAR for more details

Gunner's 9th tutorial - ABM air targets

- I was engaging the first target in ABM mode. It took a lot of hits, then I got bored and killed it with PENE mode in a few shots. See attached AAR - you can see all those hits doing minimum damage

- after killing the target, I got "cease fire" command again

56e83cb195ab4_Gunner03IRsig_010812T80018

56e83cb19997c_Gunner09ABMai_010812T80018

Gunner 03 IR sig_010812T8001812.zip

Gunner 09 ABM ai_010812T8001824.zip

Some final tests:

- tried the gunner's vision blocks again, and I still think they're pointing slightly upwards. I've created a test mission for this, it's attached. I've also attached 2 screenshots - I would expect to see more of the church and the buildings from the vision block.

- I've also tried re-setting keyboard shortcuts to default, and then the ";" key correctly closes the bolt. So I guess I must've had messed up shortcut, even though I don't change them...

56e83cb1cf601_cv90-35tests_zip.8802e9726

SS_19_10_01.jpg.ef112fe40e453488cdafabb3

SS_19_10_11.jpg.3007f1f98b56439dae0a2710

cv90-35 tests.zip

SS_19_10_01.jpg.ef112fe40e453488cdafabb3

SS_19_10_11.jpg.3007f1f98b56439dae0a2710