My first scenario!

VFRHawk

Hi all,

Been putting together a first attempt at a scenario over the last couple of hours, and could do with some advise from those of you more knowledgeable than myself - i.e. everyone! So be gentle! :eek2:

The basis of the scenario is a defence in place by a single platoon of M1's being attacked by overwhelming numbers of grossly inferior soviet equipment - at the moment T62's and BMP1's. As it stands I've got the 3 waves of attackers each consisting of 4 platoons of T-62's and 3 platoons of BMP1's. What would be the nearest soviet unit designation for that sort of size unit, a Regiment made up of 3 battalions? Or if that isn't really close to a "real-life" Soviet OOB, what would be the closest match? The waves attack in a sort of 2 up 1 back order, the first two waves reasonably close together, the third well separated. I'm trying to practise ammo management basically.

I'm not too bothered by making it ultra realistic, but I'd like it to bear a passing resemblance if at all possible! And besides, I'd like the briefing to not sound completely off too..

Graham

Well a Motor Rifle (MR) Company would have 10 x BMP (three PLs each of 3 and 1 vehicle in CHQ).

That Company would likely have 1 x PL of T-62 attached.

Your other three platoons of T-62 would probably make up a Tk Coy (again usually 10 veh but you could either add one or just go with 3 x PL [each of 3] to give you 9).

To give your grouping some basis in doctrine (and I know you aren't too worried about that) you could say that each of these atks was a Tk Coy of 10 x T-62 closely followed up by a MR Coy (in turn supported by a PL from the Bn's Tk Coy).

Four waves of that could arguably be a Tk Bn and MR Bn atacking the same location with the First Echelon being 2/3s of each Bn (so that's the first 26 [2 x 10 + 2 x 3] x T-62 and 20 x BMP) and the 2nd Echelon being the remaining third (13 [10 + 3] x T-62 and 10 x BMP).

Thanks for the info....

"Four waves of that could arguably be a Tk Bn and MR Bn atacking the same location with the First Echelon being 2/3s of each Bn (so that's the first 26 [2 x 10 + 2 x 3] x T-62 and 20 x BMP) and the 2nd Echelon being the remaining third (13 [10 + 3] x T-62 and 10 x BMP)"

I currently have 8 platoons of 3 T-62s (so 24 T-62), so I could either add a CO and XO to that or perhaps claim a couple of tanks broke down on the march.. Same for the BMP's, I have 6 platoons of 3 so I could either add 2 or make an excuse for them not being there. Those are split evenly between the first two waves. The third wave has the same make up, 4 x 3 T-62's and 3 x 3 BMP's, so same excuse I guess!

Think I'll add a CO and XO to the first wave, then make excuses for the other two and see how that plays out!

Well a Motor Rifle (MR) Company would have 10 x BMP (three PLs each of 3 and 1 vehicle in CHQ).

That Company would likely have 1 x PL of T-62 attached.

Your other three platoons of T-62 would probably make up a Tk Coy (again usually 10 veh but you could either add one or just go with 3 x PL [each of 3] to give you 9).

To give your grouping some basis in doctrine (and I know you aren't too worried about that) you could say that each of these atks was a Tk Coy of 10 x T-62 closely followed up by a MR Coy (in turn supported by a PL from the Bn's Tk Coy).

Four waves of that could arguably be a Tk Bn and MR Bn atacking the same location with the First Echelon being 2/3s of each Bn (so that's the first 26 [2 x 10 + 2 x 3] x T-62 and 20 x BMP) and the 2nd Echelon being the remaining third (13 [10 + 3] x T-62 and 10 x BMP).

You wanted it to be overwhelming? Now, THAT's overwhelming! (Be careful what you wish for...) Good luck and stow enough rounds nearby! :diable:

Hmm, just completed a playthrough, worked well. Even with a tank damaged still didn't have too much trouble. Not sure if that's because I know what the scenario does though tbh.

Wouldn't think it'd interest most of you as it's little more than a shooting gallery most of the time, but I'll upload it if anyone's interested? It's based on the Golan Heights map so no idea what the rules are on giving credit to the map designer etc? Not read that part of the wiki yet!

You wanted it to be overwhelming? Now, THAT's overwhelming! (Be careful what you wish for...) Good luck and stow enough rounds nearby! :diable:

Well that's just describing in "units" what he said he had:

As it stands I've got the 3 waves of attackers each consisting of 4 platoons of T-62's and 3 platoons of BMP1's.

Graham

Or at least the way I read that was:

3 Waves:

Each wave has:

4 x PL T-62 = 4 x 3 = 12

3 x PL BMP1 = 9

But to "clean it up" those PLs should form Companies, so:

3 x PL T-62 (+ a HQ Tk is one Coy) = 3 x 3 = 9 + 1 = 10

3 x T-62 (to get the 4th PL) = 3

3 x PL BMP1 (+ a HQ BMP is another Coy) = 3 x 3 = 9 + 1 = 10

Ideally the 4th platoon would be a 4 tank platoon, rather than 3 tanks if from the MRB.

Sure, but I'm trying to keep it simple. :)

So be gentle! :eek2:

Graham

Grouping these random PLs into Coys is probably a good first step, then we can add all the intricacies of 3 veh PLs if from this organisation but 4 veh PLs if from that one. :)

Right, had some sleep back at it again! :)

Now each wave consists of 3 x 3 tank platoons of T-62's, plus a CO tank (a tank company?), plus 3 x 3 BMP1 platoons, plus a CO BMP1 and a 4 tank T62 platoon which is attached to the MR coy (that is a MR coy, right?). There's 3 waves all made up like that, so would that make a battalion? Just need to adjust the brief...

I've added a CO tank to the M1's to try and even out the extra units on red side. About to play it through for the first time.

As a next step, I'm thinking about expanding it to multiple platoons of M1's against multiple versions of the red force template above. What would be a reasonable version of an M1 coy, 3 platoons of 4 tanks each plus a CO?

Thanks for everyone help. Not sure if I'm not enjoying designing scenarios more than I am playing them! :shocked:

Graham

I don't play online and it gets a little old setting up scenarios for my self to play. What might be fun is to start a scenario similiar to the one you have designed. Have player A set up his defence within the assigned area of deployment. Have player B set the waypoints and marching orders for the attacking side. Add recon units, TRP's etc by agreement and eventually arise at a scenario.The trick is not to look at the editor in too great of detail for whichever side you decide not to play. Player B would only know that a force of a given size is attacking from a given direction.

Now each wave consists of 3 x 3 tank platoons of T-62's, plus a CO tank (a tank company?), plus 3 x 3 BMP1 platoons, plus a CO BMP1 and a 4 tank T62 platoon which is attached to the MR coy (that is a MR coy, right?). There's 3 waves all made up like that, so would that make a battalion?

Graham

No not really what you have there is some sort of composite.

A Tk Bn’s structure is roughly (less the “non Tk“ bits):

3 x Tks to a PL.

3 x PLs + Coy Comdr = 10 tks in a Coy

3 x Coy + 2 x Tk in BN HQ = 32 tks to a Tk Bn.

3 x Tk Bns = Tk Regt.

A MR Bn’s structure is roughly (less the “non MR“ bits):

3 x BTR / BMP to a PL.

3 x PLs + Coy Comdr = 10 BTR / BMP in a MR Coy

3 x MR Coy + its own Tk Coy (which has 3 x 4 veh PLS and a Coy Comdr = 13 Tks) = MR Bn.

3 x MR Bns = MR Regt.

So if it were only the MR Bn attacking would have:

3 x MR Coy (each of 10 BTR / BMP)

1 x Tk Coy (with 4 veh Tk PLs - usually a Tk PL per MR Coy)

But you have 4 x Tk Coy (3 complete per wave and one spread out with a PL per wave)

So as I said earlier your atk, per wave, is:

1 x Tk Coy

1 x MR Coy

1 x Tk PL from the MR Bn sit the MR Coy.

Normally you wouldn’t have two units intermingled like that (part of the reason why the MR guys have their “own” tanks).

But as you said in your first post “I'm not too bothered by making it ultra realistic“ so the fact that its atypical to say the least doesn’t really matter.

Oh OK, think it's close enough for my purposes.

Each wave is a tank company and a MR company. 10 tanks in the tank coy, 10 BMP's and 4 T62's in the MR coy. 3 lots of this attacking at intervals. Makes for a "Target rich environment"! And quite a challenge. I mostly play from the map or F8 view to enjoy the show, and enjoy this sort of all out slaughter (what does that say about me?). I've used the golan heights map so it's all open hilly terrain. Quite fun and it's filled a few hours.

DPAbrams: Like the idea of that, though I doubt my scenario design skills are really up to it yet. I also haven't taken the plunge to play online yet, though intend to when my mic turns up and I'm not working on a Friday night, but if you're prepared to take it slow whilst I learn the editor/tools then we could give it a go?

Graham

V2.... :)

I've now expanded the scenario to give the attacking Soviet forces a choice of 3 possible routes, chosen at random. I've also given the Blue side 3 recce vehicles.

What are the rules regarding sharing maps? I'm using the Golan Heights map from the mini campaign in the downloads section by HotTom, but obviously don't want to step on anyone's toes. Would like to share the .sce and get some feedback from you guys (if anyone's interested?).

Graham

What are the rules regarding sharing maps? I'm using the Golan Heights map from the mini campaign in the downloads section by HotTom, but obviously don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Graham

I think as long as you credit it.

This information plus perhaps an attribution in the readme file?

But I'm not an expert up on this?

Unfortunately, the user concerned (HotTom) hasn't been online for over a year according to the members list. Oh well, I'm enjoying the scenario. If I do any more I'll have to use a stock map, presumably you can use those freely as long as you don't alter the map itself?

It's a courtesy, that's all. Nothing that says you can't use the existing map. Just give credit where it's due, and all is well. This isn't a copyright issue, as much as a small community that likes to acknowledge the work of other members.

So alter the maps to your heart's content. That's why the tool is there. If you modify a scenario or map that was worked on by someone else and you know it, throw in a note in the summary with thanks. It's easy. :)