TO&E Template for scenario design

dpabrams

I am anal, I admit this. In my pursuit to perfectly recreate NATO/ PACT scenarios from the mid 80's, I grew frustrated with the generic layout of the units and the lack of some specific units. I though since you can create units and switch maps, why not pick a flat map. Lay out specific units, customize their weapons, manpower and even prescribed ammo allotment. For example each Soviet rifleman has 120 rounds. Do this according to published TO&E’s and build the blocks of a Motorized Rifle Regiment, for example. When it comes time for a scenario, add the map you like and delete the companies, platoon and sections you won’t need. That was idea. I have built most of the components of a Soviet MRR (BTR) circa mid 80’s. They are some items lacking of course but what is the use of towed artillery and a bunch of man portable SAM’s at this stage. It would be nice to have the actual RPK, PKM, AGS-17 and SPG-9 but it is not crucial. At any rate the building blocks of a massive Soviet MRR (BTR) are nearly all in place. I could add engineers but that can wait. This is what it looks like on a blank map.

Image1.jpg.43dfdd85b70276bf9017f1af647cc

Image2.jpg.9b2c997294f6997affef88a512fad

Image3.jpg.c8c4768475e5f90525f313965a1a9

Image4.jpg.627f6098679b06087126c2b7bf4d0

Image1.jpg.43dfdd85b70276bf9017f1af647cc

Image2.jpg.9b2c997294f6997affef88a512fad

Image3.jpg.c8c4768475e5f90525f313965a1a9

Image4.jpg.627f6098679b06087126c2b7bf4d0

I have done something similar with the last year release that I never uploaded here. I made a US Company and US Cavalry Troop vs. an MRB+ and several variations. Same idea: load the scenario, "Save As" and select a new map. Certainly reduces the design burden.

The reason I never uploaded is that I decided I wanted to have the functional format, not the ORBAT one. i.e. an MRB doesn't just deploy as a block. There are other employments that a threat force was expected to use, the CRP, FSE, AGMB/FD, etc.

So I am back at drawing board on a few, grouping them together in a slightly different format, with these "functional groups" highlighted, vs. a raw "as seen in an ORBAT near you" organization.

The other reason this idea stuck with me is that many scenarios leave out the CS and CSS elements that would actually be seen in the battle space. Especially with regards to artillery..the stuff is MUCH closer than most SB designs suggest. With the advent of the new SPA models, employment is now possible, if limited in how they actually affect the support available. (I have a forthcoming demo on a concept for this...)

They are some items lacking of course but what is the use of towed artillery and a bunch of man portable SAM’s at this stage. It would be nice to have the actual RPK, PKM, AGS-17 and SPG-9 but it is not crucial.

SAMs and AGLs would have direct use, IMO. With the new model of being able to delete infantry from transports, the SAM and AGL platoons are included in my version. While the designer can't have the CC units load them up, they can certainly work for MP games.

The big win for 2.64 is the SP guns, IMO. They are very much part of the fight at the battalion level and up, and should be part of the battlefield management.

Ähhh, sorry, but the Tank Company in the independent Tank Bataillon in a Mot Rifle Regiment has a strength of 13 Tanks (1- 3x4)

Nothing shown there indicates that isn't already done... this is indicating 3 companies of 3 platoons (this platoon strength not indicated).

If not already accounted for then the platoons need replacing with the 4 tank equivalents to take the role of the MRR tank Bn.

The Divisional TB is 5 (or sometimes 4?) companies of the 'normal' 10 tank company (3x 3 tank platoons).

All the Tank Regiments use the 10 tank company formation as well.