Re-Installing SteelBeasts, Dongle Info and some Questions.

trek

I just experienced a HD failure and will be installing a new one along with updating from Vista 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit OS.

I'll be re-installing SteelBeasts. I'm currently using the disc-based V2.538 which I updated with the patch to v2.552. Not being familiar with the inner-workings of the dongle my question is: Does the dongle itself retain the current license I'm using so I don't have to download it again?

Also, I believe the update v2.552 which I have on a portable backup drive was just a small patch that I can simply install over v2.538?

Are there any other issues, tips I should know about installing SB with the Win 7 64-bit OS?

• Members
I'll be re-installing SteelBeasts. I'm currently using the disc-based V2.538 which I updated with the patch to v2.552.

Remember to uninstall before installing version 2.640.

Does the dongle itself retain the current license I'm using so I don't have to download it again?

Yes. In fact, you can activate a license ticket only once.

Also, I believe the update v2.552 which I have on a portable backup drive was just a small patch that I can simply install over v2.538?

Correct.

Are there any other issues, tips I should know about installing SB with the Win 7 64-bit OS?

The only recommendations I have:

1. Uninstall the CodeMeter runtime software on your computer via the "Add/Remove Programs" applet in the Windows Control Panel
  2. Download and install the latest CodeMeter runtime (in your case, the 64 bit version) from here
  3. Make a firmware upgrade; to do so, start the CodeMeter Control Center, click the circular arrow, and follow the on-screen instructions

Ssnake,

Thanks for the clarification and additional info. I'll probably stick with SB v2.552 until the disc version of v2.640 is available. I think I read that it will probably be available for purchase sometime in February.

• Members

You can always order the disc when it is made available in the store, and order the upgrade right away. The three steps I described above are somewhat unavoidable anyway.

The only thow things that you may be able to gain by waiting is

a) to bypass the download entirely, and

b) that the DVD will incorporate the first patch which otherwise will need to be downloaded and installed over the current 2.640 version.

• 3 weeks later...

Ssnake,

I too am reinstalling on a new computer.

I'm not sure which version I have on my dongle and thus which one I should download. Can you get me pointed in the right direction as to which version I can play until I shell out the cash for the most recent upgrade.

Also in 2006-2007 I wanted to get more than one license for my National Guard Platoon in the US but was unable to do so due to us being in the target audience for SB PRO. Does this still stand?

I need to get rocking with my Platoon as soon as possible.

Thanks.

• Members

1) Start the CodeMeter "WebAdmin". Go to "Content | Licenses". Check section "100146 eSim Games" for entries, where the following product codes stand for the different SB Pro PE versions,

SB Pro PE 2.4 and older
    SB Pro PE 2.5
    SB Pro PE 2.6

This should help you to identify for which versions you have a license.

Notice that SB Pro PE 2.460 isn't available for download; it required a specific installation disc. Update 2.483 requires an installed version 2.460. Therefore, if you don't own the 2.460 CD, 2.370 is the last available version that you can download from our web site.

2) Yes, in principle the classroom version is made for training purposes, and the Personal Edition for, well, personal use. Contact me by email again if you want, maybe we can work out something.

Stopped using SB PRO PE back in 2009...

Saw some really cool you tube vids of 2.64.

Installed original 2.328 vs from Disk to my current Win7 PC. Did not update from vs 2.328.

All seemed well until I tried to load SB PRO PE.... Nothing happened. Traced problem to no license on codemeter. Uninstalled wibu vs 3.21 and updated runtime to 4.4 64 bit. Updated firmware.

Got the license info back. Says I've got 11051 qty 1. Still no joy though. When loading SB PRO PE I get this message:

CodeMeter or WIBU-KEY runtime system is not installed.

What the heck does that mean? And how do I fix it?

I have attached the CM-Dust Results file which may be of help.

And when everything is fixed is the $25 upgrade to 2.64 available?

CmDust-Result.txt.a27aec0fa3c087756262cb

CmDust-Result.txt

Edited by Werewolf
Attach CM-Dust Results File

Well if you have the 2.328 license then that is whay you can use.

To run 2.640 you need to buy the upgrade (which includes a new license).

Once you pay for and download the license and install it on the USB stick it should work.

I don't have 2.64 but I do want to get it.

Trouble is that 2.328 won't run at all and gives the error I noted in my post; something to do with not having some kind of key installed.

I won't be getting 2.64 until I can get 2.328 to run. At that point I anticipate jumpin' back in with both feet right into the deep end. Very fond memories of SB1 from 2001 thru 2005. Pro PE had issues I couldn't deal with so bailed on it in '09 but it looks like they've been fixed from what I can see.

I'm really looking forward to getting back in, taking back of scenario design and with my current machine seeing it in all it's glory.

Welcome back!

Thanks man!

Surprised anyone even remembers me.

Looking forward to ugrading to 2.64 assuming I can get 2.328 up and running 1st. If I can't get it running it wouldn't be wise in my opinion to assume 2.64 would run either.

Hopefully SSnake will jump in with a solution.

I don't have 2.64 but I do want to get it.

Ah my mistake, mis read the post.

When you installed the CodeMeter software, did you do that "As Administrator" (option when you right click on installer).

I'm guess this here because the log file mentions you are missing some 64 Bit files and therefore I'm assuming (never a good thing) you are using a flavour of Windows 7?

Also re 2.640 depending on how urgent it is, you may want to wait a week or two (or three) and get 2.6X (a patched version of 2.640). This would mean a single install instead of installing 2.60 and then the patch.

I have CmContainer 11055703.

Is this still 2.4 and older? I purchased the the disk copy of SB PRO PE but after a few deployments it was hosed. I asked about getting a replacement and was sent a version to download. That may still be on my external hard drive. The home computer crapped out as well while I was in S. Iraq last year and my lady got it fixed. We lost plenty of stuff but I'll take a look as what is on the Ext HD.

On another note I was given SB Pro license, limited to 100hrs or so if I remember, in an attempt to get my BN to get working on purchasing it. Now that we are getting M1A2 SEP V2s in my state I don't think purchasing the PRO license would be an option, unless M1A2s are a FMC model and even then not likely. The state is grumbling over having to fund the construction of plumb and sync ramps!

Anywho, I let my PLT know this weekend about SB PRO PE and if they were interested in coughing up part of their meager drill checks for it we could play/train in partial limited fashion until we get our simulators on the ground here.

Having the PRO liscense has been nice as I did build a model of our firing range in MT in 2008-2009 and I would like to get one done for OTA in Idaho. I'm having trouble with the time though as I'm very close to having my Mechanical Engineering Degree done...

1. Anyway, which version can I get.

2. If I upgrade to 2.6 will I still be able to use the Pro, assuming I still have the program here? I would like to complete the maps and upload them for others to use.

Thanks for the help, as the only qualified Abrams Master Gunner in my BN I'm begining to feel a bit on my own....

AV

Edited by Blade_Runner
spelling

Ah my mistake, mis read the post.

When you installed the CodeMeter software, did you do that "As Administrator" (option when you right click on installer).

I'm guess this here because the log file mentions you are missing some 64 Bit files and therefore I'm assuming (never a good thing) you are using a flavour of Windows 7?

Also re 2.640 depending on how urgent it is, you may want to wait a week or two (or three) and get 2.6X (a patched version of 2.640). This would mean a single install instead of installing 2.60 and then the patch.

I always install as administrator. Right-click and run setup's as admin. Then I'll go in to the .exe's properties after install and usually set them up to run as admin's too.

I noticed that the Dust file stated it couldn't find a number of files - like the password manager for one and IIRC when doing a fresh install there is something one needs to do with the master password but it's been since 2006 or so since I did a fresh install of SB PRO PE.

I read a message somewhere that said the 11051 bucket was for 2.4 and higher versions. That's the bucket I've got and the version is the original disk version 2.328. If that is the issue I may just be hosed.

Thanks for the heads up on the 2.64 coming patch.

• Members

If the error message is that the Runtime software is missing, chances are that it is a somewhat incomplete installation. My recommendation is to uninstall all CodeMeter related software through the Add/Remove Programs applet in the System Settings. Then check the C:\Programs folder for left-overs, maybe even scan the Windows registry for CodeMeter related entries. Then try to reinstall the Runtime again. Notice that there's both a 32 and 64 bit version on the CodeMeter downloads page; be sure to pick the right one.

Try to start SB Pro PE again. If it works now, you can uninstall SB Pro PE 2.328, download and install version 2.640, acquire the license, and everything should be roses again.

:)

If the error message is that the Runtime software is missing, chances are that it is a somewhat incomplete installation. My recommendation is to uninstall all CodeMeter related software through the Add/Remove Programs applet in the System Settings. Then check the C:\Programs folder for left-overs, maybe even scan the Windows registry for CodeMeter related entries. Then try to reinstall the Runtime again. Notice that there's both a 32 and 64 bit version on the CodeMeter downloads page; be sure to pick the right one.

Try to start SB Pro PE again. If it works now, you can uninstall SB Pro PE 2.328, download and install version 2.640, acquire the license, and everything should be roses again.

I'll give that a shot this evening.

Thanks for the heads up. didn't think about cleaning out the registry and the C drive for leftover stuff after doing an uninstall. Good idea.

Win7 doesn't recommend using the Programs(x86) install locations anymore. Is there a way to change the install directory for codemeter runtimes? I ask because I normally put new software installs into their own directory just below the root and never in Programs. Don't remember seeing that option when doing the codemeter install.

• Members
Win7 doesn't recommend using the Programs(x86) install locations anymore.

Funny. Never heard of that, and all my programs are still there. I agree, in principle it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't know why one would want to actively discourage people to use that folder...?

Funny. Never heard of that, and all my programs are still there. I agree, in principle it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't know why one would want to actively discourage people to use that folder...?

Win7 tries to manage a number of user file types like game saves, docs and others. It wants to automatically put them in a user's app data location and in some cases will even though the ap doesn't expect that. Older and even some newer programs that default to the programs(x86) install location expect to find their files where the application wants to put them and can't when win7 shortstops 'em and puts them where it thinks they should be. to keep win7 from doing this apps designed under XP or earlier should be placed in their own directory outside of the programs(X86) folder. One would think that setting compatibility would fix the issue. Usually does in my experience but not always.

I have at least one app, POA2 that putting it in the default programs folder on install may or may not run right. some of the Tiller games won't run if installed into the default programs folder in win 7

some experience no problems others have to do an install outside of the default. check the MS knowledge base - its in there somewhere.

I think that most of the issue is with folks who turn off UAC in win7. But that is just my opinion, I can't prove it.

1. Uninstalled 64 bit Codemeter Runtime 4.40

2. Scrubbed registry of all references to codemeter and wibu

3. Deleted all codemeter folders and contents from Programs(X86

Searched for WIBU and Codemeter. found only the installation execute

Rebooted PC

Installed 64 bit codemeter runtime 4.40

Checked to see if license available -11051 in container 1-1053925

Ran SB PRO PE vs 2.328 - spinning icon.

Received this error:

Codemeter or WIBU-KEY runtime system is not installed

I am attaching the CM-Dust file ran after trying to launch SB PRO PD

Below find listed some of the text file entries I find interesting. The one I find most likely to be the source of the problem has to do with a password. It has been a very long time, but I seem to remember we had to enter one on an initial installation or maybe I'm just getting old. In any event i'd like to get this worked out so I can go ahead and purchase a new license and download 2.64.

These registry keys could not be found:

Could not find or read in registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WIBU-SYSTEMS\AxProtector

Could not find or read in registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WIBU-SYSTEMS\CM Password Manager

Could not find or read in registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WIBU-SYSTEMS\CM Password Manager

Do I need to enter a password?

These keys also could not be found:

Could not find or read in registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WIBU-SYSTEMS AG

Could not find or read in registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WIBU-SYSTEMS AG

Could not find or read in registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Griffin Technologies\SecuriKey

Could not find or read in registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Steganos

Another interesting note in the text file says Securikey Not Active

This was listed in the file and references the Password once again:

================================================================================

Listing some interesting details about CmDongles

CmDongle 1-1053925:

No entry for CM Password Manager found (0:100000)

Checking CmActLicense Plugins:

No CmAct Plugins found.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

CmDust-Result.txt.9372a0ea1931892574f6af

CmDust-Result.txt

I took a look at your CmDust file and found this:

DataExecutionProtection state:
OPTOUT (DEP is enabled for all processes. Exceptions could be defined.)

Set DEP back to essential programs and services only or set CM as an exception.

Also, turn on logging (CTRL-C or File > Logging) and view using the Event tab. It will show each step of what the CMstick is doing and when it fails. Post the log here if DEP doesn't fix it.

BTW, regarding those registry errors... if I remember correctly, those are add-on utilities lets you use the CMstick's security features for other non-license specific thingies. You have to own one of the other larger capacity CMsticks (ours are only 128k) in order to install those utils.

I took a look at your CmDust file and found this:

DataExecutionProtection state:
OPTOUT (DEP is enabled for all processes. Exceptions could be defined.)

Set DEP back to essential programs and services only or set CM as an exception.

Also, turn on logging (CTRL-C or File > Logging) and view using the Event tab. It will show each step of what the CMstick is doing and when it fails. Post the log here if DEP doesn't fix it.

did that. no joy. still get the same error that codemeter or wibu-securi key runtime is not installed.

Overview of available drives:
C:\ = Fix Drive (451338 MB)
D:\ = Fix Drive (238459 MB)
E:\ = Fix Drive (238479 MB)
F:\ = CDROM
G:\ = Fix Drive Bus=Usb;WIBU - CodeMeter-Stick (38 MB), contains codemtr.io
Q:\ = Fix Drive

Windows sees your CM stick.

File: C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeMeter\Runtime\bin\CodeMeter.exe; Version: 4.40 (Build 687, Count 500)
File: C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeMeter\Runtime\bin\CodeMeterJp.wbb; Version: Version 4.40 of Dec/16/2011

Latest CM software installed

There are 1 CmContainers found
CmDongle with serial number 1-1053925 and firmware version 1.18.

CM stick firmware is up to date.

ProductCode: 11051 at [16] (Dependency 0x07)
License Quantity (Dependency 0x07) 1
Extended Protected Data (#=16, Type 128, Dependency 0x07)
63 6d 6e 77 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
==> License Quantity: 1, Network Mode: UserLimit NoUserLimit Exclusive StationShare

You only have the original license. You are limited to running SB Pro PE 2.4 and older.