Need Mouse Help

VegasGeorge

I just got v. 2.640 installed and running on my i7 iMac under Parallels 7. My mouse has gone nuts! I've tried different mice, wireless and USB. Same problem. The view in all positions spins around crazily whenever I move the mouse. The arrow keys pan the view normally. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks! :-)

I just got v. 2.640 installed and running on my i7 iMac under Parallels 7. My mouse has gone nuts! I've tried different mice, wireless and USB. Same problem. The view in all positions spins around crazily whenever I move the mouse. The arrow keys pan the view normally. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks! :-)

Is there anything in the Parallels 7 prefernces about "pointing devices", etc.?

It maybe a Parallels 7 setting that's messing it up.

Does the mouse work normally in either Parallels 7 or Snow Leopard / Lion?

Do you have other USB devices attached that the software might interpret as "pointing devices"?

From memory you need to select one and call it the "main device" (or similar) so that moving it is the one the application responds to.

Sorry but I use BootCamp myself so I'm not across Parallels 7 (drawing on Soft PC experience). :)

I have a similar problem if I control the view using my wacom tablet, though not with a mouse. Maybe it has something to do with giving absolute mouse coords rather then relative? Maybe something Parallels does? I run on a MacBook via BootCamp and have no mouse issues, maybe try running on BootCamp? PITA, I know.

Yes, I've tried a standard Logitech USB mouse, same problem. My Apple wireless mouse works fine in all other applications running under Parallels 7. In fact, it works fine in SB for other functions. For example, my mouse works fine going through the menus, and traversing the main gun in the gunner's position, and using the map, etc. It's only when panning the view that it goes crazy. It's jumpy, and seems to reverse directions unpredictably, and it's ultra sensitive. I'll be looking straight ahead, move the mouse a tiny bit, and suddenly I'm looking up into the sky. If I'm inside the tank and move the mouse, the interior of the tank starts spinning around. It's totally unusable. But the up, down, left, right arrows work just fine. Any more ideas?

Have you run any other games with this setup that use panning (mouse-look)? An FPS like Battlefield or similar?

It sounds like the mouse position is being reported to SB fine, but the changes in mouse position are incorrect.

If you can't resolve it, using a gamepad or joystick might be a workaround

Any more ideas?

Well until you give us some feedback on how you went with the suggestions already made (i.e. I can’t see responses to) ...

Is there anything in the Parallels 7 prefernces about "pointing devices", etc.?

It maybe a Parallels 7 setting that's messing it up.

Do you have other USB devices attached that the software might interpret as "pointing devices"?

From memory you need to select one and call it the "main device" (or similar) so that moving it is the one the application responds to.

Solved!

By leaving my Mac mouse active, and then plugging in my USB mouse and "attaching" it (enabling it) to my virtual machine (Parallels 7) I got the USB mouse working normally in SB and in World of Tanks, so I think it would probably work normally in most games.

The Mac mouse still "spins" in SB, and the USB mouse doesn't work at all on the Mac side. But the USB mouse works perfectly on the Windows side.

Problem solved! Weird having to use two mice, but what the heck, whatever works!

PS: I'd still like to know if anyone has an X-65F joystick profile to share!

Edited by VegasGeorge

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The Mouse Look function in Parallels 7 is still flaky. It works sometimes, sometimes not. The second mouse idea gets it going, but then it drops its settings and you have to "reattach" the mouse to Windows. I also discovered that Parallels 7 won't utilize all the resources available on my machine, and it won't release all the resources it does use when you switch back to the Mac OS X operating system. All in all, I'm disappointed with Parallels.

I've gone back to Boot Camp. Actually, with a name like "Boot Camp" its sort of a natural for guys like us. :-)