How to install skins

RogueSnake79

This is my first time downloading and installing a skin, and I downloaded the CZ Studios Arab Armor Pack, I extracted the files and ended up with one T72 folder and one T80 folder, I putted these in My Documents/esim/mods/textures, then desert and then in the red folder.

Am I suppsed to put the skins in the red or blue folder? I mean I ran 73rd Easting and the T72 skin was still standard...weird?

EDIT: there is one "destroyed" folder aswell...should I put the skins in there to or what...because I only looked at the tanks in the "world" view which becomes available when you quit or finnish the mission. And then the tanks are wrecks right?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok Tiny, first thing is you do not put any "folders" in your mod's folder. Only BMP files, or sound files.

First thing you need to know is why ppl put all these different folders in a download. Like why not just have all the files inside in one place, so you can quickly copy and paste them in.

Well, lets take the T-72, it has several skin files associated with it. It has 4 different exturnal skin files for the different enviorments. Plus one file for what it will look like once destroyed. Desert, Winter, Woodland, and Destroyed. And they are all named the same thing.

So if you are a skinner, and want to include lets say a Desert T-72 with its assosiated destroyed file in a download. You must put them in different folders. Becuse as we all know, you can't have 2 files of the same type, with the same name, in the same folder. After you place the first one in, it will try to replace it with the next one.

That is why skinners do that.

I hope that part makes sence, I bairly understand it myself :)

The destroyed skin is visable on a tank that you've killed. And can only be seen ingame. If you had a pink destroyed skin on that T72, as soon as you shot it with an M1, it would turn pink. Don't do that BTW, pink is a gay color:)

So what you should do is, go to the folder with the T72 skin you downloaded,

go in it, open the desert folder, and copy the t72M1.bmp file, and paste it in the red desert folder. You should pick another T-72 skin for the blue folder.

And generally put your favorite Russian vehicle skins in the red folders. %90 of the time you fighting the red team.

I hope this helps, if not, I'm will be here.

• 6 months later...

Yes, each vehicle in the game (most of them I know of) have more than one texture file. 1 file for the main exterior model, 1 file for the tracks, and 1 for the turret roof. Some vehicles have a few more textures, but those are the most common.

Sometimes ppl have time to include all the texture files associated with a vehicle, and sometimes they don't. Just remember what I said earlier in this thread about only pasting bmp's in the mod/textures folders. If a dl has folders inside the zip, never just paste those folders in.

• 2 months later...

Salute gents,

I'm having some problems installing a high resolution interior skin for the Leopard2A5. I'm familiar with the process of extracting skins for the tanks etc. but I'm lost with this skin.

Do I -as with vehicle skins- extract to the mods/textures directory in my documents? If so where precisely in that folder? TIS? Or do I extract to the textures/TIS folder in program files. Is the TIS folder the wrong location? I'm lost.

This is the mod by the way....http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/282/p13_fileid/1200

Salute gents,

I'm having some problems installing a high resolution interior skin for the Leopard2A5. I'm familiar with the process of extracting skins for the tanks etc. but I'm lost with this skin.

Do I -as with vehicle skins- extract to the mods/textures directory in my documents? If so where precisely in that folder? TIS? Or do I extract to the textures/TIS folder in program files. Is the TIS folder the wrong location? I'm lost.

This is the mod by the way....http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/282/p13_fileid/1200

Do not install in the TIS folder this is for thermal images. Place bmp file in your mods folder under my documents in the woodlands texture folder.

After installing the mod into the woodland folder I fired up SBPE and tested the change. This is when I discovered that terrain/season counts in skin modification for more than just vehicle exteriors DOH!! It now resides in all of the season and terrain texture folders.

After installing the mod into the woodland folder I fired up SBPE and tested the change. This is when I discovered that terrain/season counts in skin modification for more than just vehicle exteriors DOH!! It now resides in all of the season and terrain texture folders.

Yes, If you play with the sims files long enough you will become enlightened. Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that's right. So, you can have two different skins for every vehicle depending on whether or not it's on the Blue side, or the Red side. Having different skins can be helpful in scenarios that use the same equipment. Not much use in the thermal view, but it's easier to ID visually with the normal optics. Can save a frat, especially when there are no map updates.

• 9 months later...

Doc,

I dont know how Vista 32 file structure is but you should have a folder under MY COMPUTER called (YOUR NAME HERE),s Documents. When you find this folder look for the sub-folder called eSim games and then the Steel Beasts folder and then a mods folder and then a textures folder. Depending what the skin is it will be put in one of the folders in the textures folder,either woodland,winter,autumn or desert. You may have to turn on Show HIDDEN Files but Im not sure about that.

DOC,

You need to find the search feature for vista and search for the mods folder. If you only have one drive in your puter it should be a snap. You'll be searching for something along the lines of C:\My documents\eSim games\Steel Beasts\Mods\textures. As an alternative you could run them under the Program Files folder but if you do make sure you back up all the files you replace. This is not the ideal method but it does work.

Best of Luck

Congo

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista/vista_documents.htm#Users_Folders_-_Including_Documents

Doc.

My advise on the PM clearly did not help. There will be a document called (Your name) documents. The Esim Games folder will be in here.

Advise as above is to do a search on your computer to find Esim.

I must admit that when I started using Vista I found it a little tricky to find my way around at first. It is different to the previous versions. If I find time at home I will attempt to send a sceen shot of where mine is!

Try the search and if that does not work then wait out!

Maps folder was a nightmare to find! I will attempt to post some clearer advise - probaby in a new thread for Vista!

Cheers and good luck.

• 5 months later...