How to install skins

RogueSnake79

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems to work ok once converted - it only failed to work while in .bmp format

Here is the same file as a DDS applied to the M1A1 in 2.546 - and there is some mis-mapping.

Still the bmp/dds behaviour didn't match my expectation here even if the skin has mapping issues - when using an old BMD-2 skin it still simply displays but looks wrong on the new model.

SS_06_00_49.jpg.a746476129a2c07042a17f89

SS_06_00_49.jpg.a746476129a2c07042a17f89

Edited by GH_Lieste
Oops, yes some mapping differences on skirts etc.

• Members
OK so here's where the confusion on my part kicks in.

If I say download the AUSCAM M1A1 mod (consisting of a M1A1.bmp file and a M1A1_roof.bmp file) and place them in "my":

\mods\texture\woodland folder

and there still exists a M1a1.dds and M1a1_roof.dds files in the "game's":

\texture\woodland folder

Which takes precedence (i.e. is loaded).

The mod folder's files take precedence. These belong to you, so you can swap them in and out as you please even if you user account doesn't give you access to the program files. If the mod folder is missing the needed file, SB Pro will fall back to the default textures in the program folder.

By placing an "experimental" texture in the mod folder you can therefore not damage the actual installation. If the file doesn't work, you simply replace it or delete it.

Do I need to rename / delete the *.dds files to ensure SB Pro PE is loading (successfully or not) the mod I've downloaded?

The file type suffix doesn't matter. SB Pro will load BMP, JPG and DDS alike. DDS works fastest with the load times, but that's a secondary issue. The only thing that must be made sure is that it is in the right folder and has the same name as the original file that it is supposed to replace. This may or may not be the case with any given mod package.

And I'm not even going to touch on "Why *.BMP and *.DDS formats?" :)

BMP is the most basic and simple bitmap format there is. Of all the supported three file formats, it is the only lossless format that you can open, edit and save an unlimited number of times without compression artifacts ever ruining the whole image. Unfortunately BMP doesn't use any form of compression - not even a lossless runlength compression like GIF, so the file sizes quickly become large. This means long loading time since disk access is the slowest method of transferring data.

JPG uses a wavelet compression format which, if applied with moderation and only once, is a great method to reduce the file size (and with it the disk space usage). It is a symmetrical compression format - each image takes a fair bit of CPU cycles to decompress the pixel information so that the graphics card can store it properly.

DDS is similar to JPG, but uses an asymmetrical compression - takes more CPU cycles to create the file, but significantly fewer to decompress it. That's why DDS files work best as texture files - they use comparatively little disk space, very few CPU cycles to process the files, and consequently they take the least amount of loading time.

That may be more than you wanted to know ... but you asked. ;)

• 2 months later...

A question that may have been answered in 14 pages that I do not have the time to read (f*cking midterm exams...) at the moment: With regards to multiplayer, does everybody participating in a given session have to have identical mod installations? That is to say, will SB Pro PE check to ensure that all files are identical to everybody else's in an online session?

Some games do this, some don't, and Pro PE isn't quite a game so much as it's a way of life. Err, I mean simulation. If everything is "local only", then that's fantastic, I can run whatever skins for whatever vehicles I want at any time and not have to worry about reverting these installations to eventually get in on some of the quality MP here like Variable/Brave Rifles/et al.

Secondary question I suspect has already been answered somewheres and I just missed the forest for the trees with it: Can I install multiple skins per vehicle and select amongst them in-editor (note: Have done SFA with the game thus far, for fear of paying attention to it rather than exams) or am I limited to one vehicle, one skin, per folder (woodland/desert etc)?

I know it's been mentioned but for the benefit of others who may not want to read through 14 pages, JSGME is a great tool for swapping skins in and out easily. I think I have almost every mod loaded into it and I can just switch them in and out by toggling them from one pane to the other in the GUI. Takes some setting up, but is by no means difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used the JSGME (JonesSoft Generic Mod Enabler) for Silent Hunter III for years now. It's very stable and works a treat. The logic behind it is quite simple; I'd recommend if you have multiple skins and are looking for a 'quick swap' solution, it's the way to go. Thanks Toyguy for reminding me that exists, that's the thing to use.

• 1 month later...
Ok, this is a step by step guide to installing skins in Steel Beast Pro.

Step one:

Download a skin :) These can be found here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=25

Once you've download a skin, you need to extract it. So if its in a zip folder copy the contents and paste them to your desktop.

Is there an update to this thread? I am having problem downloading and installing skins. My OS is Windows 7. The program downloads to dds. files

I've used the JSGME (JonesSoft Generic Mod Enabler) for Silent Hunter III for years now. It's very stable and works a treat. The logic behind it is quite simple; I'd recommend if you have multiple skins and are looking for a 'quick swap' solution, it's the way to go. Thanks Toyguy for reminding me that exists, that's the thing to use.

I have tried the JSGME also in SH3/4/5 without a problem. Not quite sure where to download it to in the Mods folder.

• Members
I am having problem downloading and installing skins.

...like, what?

- You don't see anything?

- You're seeing something weird?

- You can't download the files?

- You can download the files but don't know where to put them?

My OS is Windows 7. The program downloads to dds. files

The ..\mods folder location is still the same:

"My Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\..."

• 2 months later...

Step one:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=25

Once you've download a skin, you need to extract it. So if its in a zip folder copy the contents and paste them to your desktop.

Oh BTW your link doesn't function! Sorry! :shocked:

He posted that 5 years ago. Cut him some slack lol. Click the downloads area, then navigate to the mods/skins.

Cut me some slack also :) Noob here and I did not pay attention to the date on is thread, sorry! :frown:

Edited by Redemption

• Administrators
Cut me some slack also :) Noob here and I did not pay attention to the date os is thread, sorry! :frown:

No worries. You are actually reading what is already here, that's more than what 95% of people do.

Step one:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/255

The problem here is that none of my skins works, and I think I have done what you have said. BTW your file are old ones bitmap files, and mine are .DDS so mayne that is the problem, cause no matter what I do, the skins doesn't appear on my game, solo or multi.

I take a scenario with Leopard 2A5 autumn, and when the game starts skins doesnt appear on my Leo.

Can you help me please?

Autumn has it's own mod folder, so verify that you placed your new skin in that folder, and not in the Woodland or Winter folder.

ok will do, after hours on the mod folder for my skins some of them works and some seem not to show up, nut hey at least it works for some.

Take care and thank you all! :)

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I've searched this thread and can't find the answer so thought I'd ask: how do you remove decals (I think this is what they're called) from the original skin when the downloaded skin has them hand-painted on?

My example is the Leopard AS1 here: http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/292/p13_fileid/1107

When I download this skin and extract it to the Mods/Textures/Woodland folder the skin is applied as expected but the original decals also feature, meaning there are two sets of overlapping unit markings (decals) on the vehicle. I've tried deleting files from the non-Mods equivalent folder in the hope of removing the original decals but with no success. I must be missing something.

Any guidance gratefully received.

Thanks

Some vehicles use separate decal files. These files use what is known as an "alpha channel" to define the decal edges. It is not readily apparent when looking at the file unless you are specifically viewing the alpha channel. Otherwise it just looks like a white (or colored square.)

I use Adobe Photoshop to modify the files. However, when I save them the alpha channel is no longer visible. Still trying to figure that out. But the textures should work in the game, regardless.