Lack of big games and online community ??

oscar19681

I,ve been playing online alot lately but one thing i,ve noticed is that there are never more then 10 to 12 people on teamspeak to play around with , half of them only speak spanish so most of the time i play with the guys from 3rd armour division and from time to time with Sbgenerals . I know there are events like TGIF and such that draw more people but since i,m from The Netherlands that would mean that i would have to play at 0400 in the morning . How come there are no events more oriented for the European community? Is it because the community in general is just simply to small in the first place? As it is now it just depends on the people online what will be played and since the latest upgrade i rarely ever played with more then 6 players if there are enought people in the first place . What happened to the mass online games i used to play with the generals and the german community in the good old days?

Also the lack of the abilty to enter a game in progress adds to the fact that when one does come online he must wait for the game to finish before being able to join , i think this also adds to the reluctance to stick around on TS

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people who own this game come from other types of gaming communities.

Sub-simmers, and Flight simmers probably stay on their own forums and play in small groups with others that they convinced to buy the game.

Its just the nature of the web where there are more communities out there now days.

Edited by sabot_ready

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=2222&highlight=pond

Been done before. More European players now so it could work again. Games that start around 1500-1800GMT'ish work ok for across the pond matches. Early evening in Europe and early afternoon in The U.S. on Sat or Sun.

If you want it done then start it up again and get the word out. I'll come.

Those who are dedicated will find a way.

Well yes I must agree.

Grenny's last "European Centric" mixed BG (where almost all vehicle types were present so people could use their favourite) was on at 0400 Local time for me and the O Group the day earlier was a 0300 kick off (which required a wake up, connect to TS, etc. prior to that).

The Brave Rifles Campaign was in a similar time slot as was the Vigilant Guardian series before it, so I don’t think you can say there’s been a lack of opportunities in “Europe friendly” time slots.

Luckily for me TGIF for me is on at 1400 on a Saturday afternoon.

The ADF campaign had/has a 0600 kick off local time just so it was more convenient for people in other time zones.

If you want it done then start it up again and get the word out. I'll come.

Indeed.

As for

the reluctance to stick around on TS
I think that’s fairly poor. If you start on a side I’d like to think you’d want to see it though even if your vehicle has been shot out from under you (or lost the session) and are just “monitoring the net” to see how it works out.

Certainly I remaining in the TS channel once I dropped from Grenny’s game in order to see how my plan worked out. ;)

But part of that might well be that I’ve made the “investment” to get up early and want to get some value from it.

Edited by Gibsonm

Also the lack of the abilty to enter a game in progress adds to the fact that when one does come online he must wait for the game to finish before being able to join , i think this also adds to the reluctance to stick around on TS

It is true that SB is not the most conducive to a "pick up game." The solution: talk to other players ahead of time and schedule your play time. Or attend the large public games that have developed over time, i.e. TGIF. If this time doesn't work for you, start something! Lead. Take action and organize an event. Don't just whinge that no one is around to play with you. :)

If you do decide that you want a pick up game, be willing to wait a while. There's even a whole channel dedicated to the concept of "Looking for game." And it's not like you have to sit there staring at the TS screen. I often go and play SB while waiting, and if a group happens to free up a game, they know where to find me. If I don't find a game, I have no one to blame but myself for not arranging people to play with.

The ability to enter a game in progress is a separate issue. This isn't Team Fortress or some massively multiplayer arcade fest. I, for one, would not want you jumping in mid-mission, then expecting those in the mission to explain to you just what the hell is going on, how the plan is developing, and then assigning assets to you and HOPING you "get it." Successful mission execution beyond the most basic "go kill tanks" missions requires planning. Would it be cool to allow dropped players back in a game? Yes. Would it be cool to allow some random guy to jump in mid-mission? Hell no.

Has eSim ever thought of adding a server function like DCS A10 where you could join games in progress ? Would help guys like me with limited time due to RL. I could drop in, man some tanks, get blown up umpteen times, then split and go play dad when duty calls.

Has eSim ever thought of adding a server function like DCS A10 where you could join games in progress?

Well that's just the point that has been made a few times above already.

You can't "join games in progress".

Hence the need for dedicated/masochistic people to plan, design and conduct campaigns.

"Plan" includes advertise, co-ordinate with others to avoid overlap, etc.

The calendar feature above plus posts in this forum (plus other previously discussed scheduling tools) allows the "organiser" to either pick a date/time that most want or specify when it will be run due to their availability.

Also as mentioned above, the "join in progress" option is probably not a good thing anyway as people need to know the plan and execute it. I'd hate to rely on some person who just arrived, had no situational awareness of what was going on, but suddenly became a vital part of the plan.

On the networking development front, the ability to roll back so many minutes (in case of a crash) as opposed to "starting over" or the ability for people to "rejoin" (note not "join") after we leave the Assembly Area (in case of a crash on their machine, etc.) is far more important IMHO than providing the digital equivalent of a drop in centre for people with a spare 20 minutes or so.

Edited by Gibsonm

Has eSim ever thought of adding a server function like DCS A10 where you could join games in progress ? Would help guys like me with limited time due to RL. I could drop in, man some tanks, get blown up umpteen times, then split and go play dad when duty calls.

That would be more "World of Tanks" and less "Steel Beasts" as far as play style goes.

I totally understand the "I haven't got much time" aspect. But the reality of this sim is that it's not about just hopping in and shooting. If that's the time you have, I recommend practice on the range, or maybe the Instant Action options.

Anything but the simplest scenarios usually take at least 10-15 minutes of reading the briefing, understanding the mission, and planning orders to any units not directly under your control. This is in front of the actual play time. (I take far longer, and look at planning as a joy unto itself, but some just like trigger time.)

Then I guess you haven't flown DCS A10, because thats exactly how MP works, you join a server with a mission in progress, you pick an A10 and a mission task then go at it. You can come and go at anytime, spend 6 hours or 30 mins. So there's one example of a Hi fidelity sim with that functionality.

No need to get all World of Tanks now buddy, just making a suggestion on how large MP involvement could improve.

Well that's just the point that has been made a few times above already.

You can't "join games in progress".

Hence the need for dedicated/masochistic people to plan, design and conduct campaigns.

"Plan" includes advertise, co-ordinate with others to avoid overlap, etc.

The calendar feature above plus posts in this forum (plus other previously discussed scheduling tools) allows the "organiser" to either pick a date/time that most want or specify when it will be run due to their availability.

Also as mentioned above, the "join in progress" option is probably not a good thing anyway as people need to know the plan and execute it. I'd hate to rely on some person who just arrived, had no situational awareness of what was going on, but suddenly became a vital part of the plan.

On the networking development front, the ability to roll back so many minutes (in case of a crash) as opposed to "starting over" or the ability for people to "rejoin" (note not "join") after we leave the Assembly Area (in case of a crash on their machine, etc.) is far more important IMHO than providing the digital equivalent of a drop in centre for people with a spare 20 minutes or so.

Good point, I realize suggesting is easier than eSim implementing it. I still think it could work, some senarios are so big, you could just give late comers secondary roles or tie up loose ends. You could password the missions that are to intense for players to join in progress. It just seems like it would add more versitility to the MP side of things.

You could still have deeply involved missions that require lengthy planning and commitment by players.

To have a join in progress style option it would require more of a random dynamic set of tasks / events that players could jump in to a server and start completing. Would take alot of work on the senario building, endless triggers and AI scripting to keep the mission going. It sounds Hoaky I know, but it could make some cool combat situations that could be fun to play out.

I know I keep referencing DCS A10's MP, but that is the only thing I can think of that runs like this and works well. They set the missions up like a huge battle that runs continuously on a server. Players pilot A10s and start hitting required targets to advance the mission triggers. I've seen some of these dynamic missions go on with 3 guys or 30 guys, just a matter of who shows up at various times. Players coordinate well on TS or fly solo, it's your choice.

Then I guess you haven't flown DCS A10, because thats exactly how MP works, you join a server with a mission in progress, you pick an A10 and a mission task then go at it. You can come and go at anytime, spend 6 hours or 30 mins. So there's one example of a Hi fidelity sim with that functionality.

No need to get all World of Tanks now buddy, just making a suggestion on how large MP involvement could improve.

The 10A you are hopping into, is it still landed at a base or in mid air?

Also one problem with stealbeasts: depending on how the scenario runs, units may lay in wait for a good amount at time. So people hopping in for 20-30 mike, will spend that time "looking at things" or doing a road march :-P

Running a ground battle, so it actually feels like a battle, you need to do multiple tasks at the same time as f.e. fire and movement have to be coordinated. Someone hopping in saying:"Hey dude i've got 20 mike...give me a job please, and make it something exiting." puts a HUGE task on the CO. I mean for about 10 minutes he has to abandon anything else to brief and task the newcommer (or you'd have one player who is ONLY doing that, to relieve the CO from it...good luck in finding volunteers for that :-P ).

To have a join in progress style option it would require more of a random dynamic set of tasks / events that players could jump in to a server and start completing. Would take alot of work on the senario building, endless triggers and AI scripting to keep the mission going. It sounds Hoaky I know, but it could make some cool combat situations that could be fun to play out.

And I suspect that's the next rub point.

Who is going to do this ongoing scripting, etc?

Most of us "interested amateurs" take a few weeks or so to compile a BG level scenario and the paid eSim staff are already flat out working on the software.

Then you need reasonable machine (not quite a server farm, but more than an entry level PC), pipe to support all the possible clients connecting, etc.

I think you rapidly spiral into either some sort of paid subscription model or you need a larger firm than eSim's current size to offer this for $0. :)