ATGMS...me, joystick or new version?

F9F Panther

Gentlemen,

I like using ATGM-armed units (HMMV, M2A2, etc) but I am finding the flying the TOW is more "difficult" recently. Was there a change to ATGM flight/control model in 2.6, or is it perhaps that my joystick is wonky, or am I just getting a bit more feeble in my middle age?

Kind regards,

F9F Panther

I am still on the old version of SBproPE, but I have never had a issue using my stick to guide the TOWs. Perhaps its because I have my sensitivity set differently or I have a stick thats older than some of the people who work at Best Buy. (I am still using a Sidewinder 2 Pro stick... and it STILL works, mostly)

I found really small easy movements work best. Almost like flying in Falcon 4.0, if you fly a F16C and your doing in air refueling, small easy movements make a BIG difference.

I have a sidewinder precision 2 joystick I bought back in 99. I love the feel of it and can aim anything with ease. However one of the buttons that I don't use has gone and the end may be near for the rest of it. I have no intention of gambleing with a different joystick when this one dies and I hate gunning with a mouse. I am going to order a couple good condition used ones or new( if any exist) from ebay. That should ensure good aiming for at least another 20 years or so.

• Members

...to answer the original question - no, I don't remember us fiddling with the missile flight model. If it is of any consolation, missiles ARE vulnerable to sudden, sharp flight maneuvers so that it actually is a desirable, realistic feature to be a bit touchy in their guidance (which is probably one of the biggest yet underreported advantages of a fire and forget missile like the Javelin).

Mouse control arguably makes missile guidance too easy.

F9F panther, try recentering the joystick in game, its either ctrl-j or alt-j. One recenters and one flips y axis i can't remember which. If that gives no joy run the windows game controllers configuration and check your joystick responses for jitters. If it jitters in there or in the calibration part then you could have a dirty pot.. If so its time to get a new joystick.

I always use joystick, current got a Hotas Warthog. I didn't like it to start as it was a bit stiff for my taste but have gotten used to it now.