Calling UK tankies

Tonywjones44

A group of friends and I (all ex-military, but no tankies) are toying with the idea of forming a UK Regiment for coop multiplay. We would host the missions ourselves twice a week - Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons maybe, but this could be discussed. It would be a relatively informal group convened by email as none of us have the time to put up a website!

Expressions of interest invited.

Best wishes.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not in th UK, but I could make game time every now and then if you need someone to run OPFOR for you. ;)

Thanks Tacbat. That might be very useful. I'll see if I get any other replies, discuss it with the other guys, and get back to you.

I must say I'm amazed that there isn't a thriving UK scene for the excellent sim.

Regards

Greetings...

Hope the "UK-VU" kicks of well!

I'm dreaming of a CR2 vs Leo2 Head-to-Head on the Bergen-Hohne Map :-)

@Irish:

All the best wishes for your wife.

@Alicatt:

A Scot? Hope you are still in the UK after 2014 ;-)

It would be fun depending on witch version of the leopard was used.The 2E with the L55 is Superior {in game } it would Not be an even fight.

Was thinking about Leo2A4, so CHARM3 has a chance to bite...

That would be a good match

I haven't really explored the the multiplayer side of SB.

Do we have many VU units. It would be interesting if we could arrange some type of Tournament Between the teams.

Well its pretty simple.

You select "Network Session" and then "Host" for your machine.

The others connect as "Clients" connecting to your machine's IP address (usually published by you in TeamSpeak).

This is the same if you are doing "Co-Op" (your human players Vs the AI) or "Head to Head" (humans on both sides).

The main differences are:

In "Co-Op" players choose slots on the Blue side and the Red side is scripted.

In "Head to Head" you need players on both sides and since players tend to want to be able to crew their tanks that has resulted in a lot of hypothetical M1 Vs Leo type fights. The recent advent of CR2 and T-72 means you can expand those options but the players need to be familair with how to fight the tank they choose.

A seasoned M1 player jumping into a T-72 for the first time is going to be in a world of hurt trying to figure out "what's what" until they die.

The scenario you pick though needs to be written accordingly (the download section has areas for "Single Player" and "Multi Player" - with MP further divided into Co-Op and Head to Head).

Best idea is to come to a TGIF and see how its done.

Or if you like, drop me a line and I can talk you through it.

Commonwealth soldiers ok?

The TGIF games have always been at a sucky time (0400) for me, and combined with a chaotic work/home schedule, I've never been able to make it. Those Thursday night times sound nice though....also, the UK timezone is much more agreeable. Would notices be up here?

I have created a Yahoo Group at: http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/UKArmour

Anyone on this forum is welcome to join. There is an associated email group:

UKArmour@yahoogroups.co.uk

Any messages posted to this address will be received by all members. Traffic is likely to be light in the near future, but it will a good way of letting members know about coops etc.

Best wishes.

Well its pretty simple.

You select "Network Session" and then "Host" for your machine.

The others connect as "Clients" connecting to your machine's IP address (usually published by you in TeamSpeak).

This is the same if you are doing "Co-Op" (your human players Vs the AI) or "Head to Head" (humans on both sides).

The main differences are:

In "Co-Op" players choose slots on the Blue side and the Red side is scripted.

In "Head to Head" you need players on both sides and since players tend to want to be able to crew their tanks that has resulted in a lot of hypothetical M1 Vs Leo type fights. The recent advent of CR2 and T-72 means you can expand those options but the players need to be familair with how to fight the tank they choose.

A seasoned M1 player jumping into a T-72 for the first time is going to be in a world of hurt trying to figure out "what's what" until they die.

The scenario you pick though needs to be written accordingly (the download section has areas for "Single Player" and "Multi Player" - with MP further divided into Co-Op and Head to Head).

Best idea is to come to a TGIF and see how its done.

Or if you like, drop me a line and I can talk you through it.

Thanks for the info Mark. The problem with TGIF is that it takes place at 03:00 in the UK!

I've downloaded some Single scenarios to play offline, and will now go and download some multiplayer ones. An I think it would be best if I bought another licence so I can use a PC other than the one I'm playing on as host, yes?

Best wishes

• Moderators
Nothing wrong with the HESH, its a feature not a bug!!.

Yes actually we figured the HESH issue out (I suppose we forgot to mention it though). HESH trajectory and accuracy is correct, but the problem (IRL and in SB) is that there is a lot of parallax between the day and TOGS and the high angle arc magnifies the error in parallax. So technically the current behavior is correct in SB, BUT the problem is that there is a feature that has not yet been modeled which helps CR2 gunners conduct long range HESH engagements by adjusting fire and laying the TOGS reticle on point of impact to adjust fire for the second round (basically compensating for parallax). Still, it means that probably means that first round hits in TOGS in long range HESH engagements would be rare, but second round is possible, or so I gather from casual listening. This is yet another unique quirk about the CR2 of course, and its... unique TOGS system. Take this explanation with a pound of salt, as I am simplifying it a great deal.

In any case, in the mean time we suggest that everyone uses day sight while using HESH at anything over 1000m as in that case there will be no parallax issues and the round should be right on target in day sight at all ranges. So, I would caution against reducing HESH rounds too much right now as they are often needed to kill targets (it is the CR2s main "punch"), but, again, just be sure to use it in day sight at long ranges at the moment. It is up to personal preference though of course...

The TOGS still sits above the axis of the gun barrel, which introduces parallax in a verticle axis, plus when the gun is aiming at long range with HESH it has a lot of super elevation.

The TOGS super elevates with the gun and the aiming mark goes off the bottom of the screen in SB