Calling UK tankies

Tonywjones44

• Moderators
Ähm...isn't the TOGS right on top of the gun? So parallaxe should be no issue.

The Daysight sits right of teh gun...I'd expect the problem there??

The parallax has to do with the gun / TOGS, and where the LRF is located (in the GPS day sight housing to the right). This is why currently all the HESH rounds fly off to the side while using TOGS at long ranges. This is explained better in another area that you have access to. ;)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The parallax has to do with the gun / TOGS, and where the LRF is located (in the GPS day sight housing to the right). This is why currently all the HESH rounds fly off to the side while using TOGS at long ranges. This is explained better in another area that you have access to. ;)

Ahhh, forgot about the LRF...makes sense

In any case, in the mean time we suggest that everyone uses day sight while using HESH at anything over 1000m as in that case there will be no parallax issues and the round should be right on target in day sight at all ranges. So, I would caution against reducing HESH rounds too much right now as they are often needed to kill targets (it is the CR2s main "punch"), but, again, just be sure to use it in day sight at long ranges at the moment. It is up to personal preference though of course...

OK well I'd better go back to the books again because on the gunnery range (all reasonably close range targets and using the day sight) when the commander calls for HESH because its a soft target I miss everytime and a simple 1000m (battle sabot / battle fin) engagement becomes a six or seven round HESH one.

An I think it would be best if I bought another licence so I can use a PC other than the one I'm playing on as host, yes?

Best wishes

Depends on your Internet connection.

If you use a router with port forwarding then a second licence is no good as the ports/traffic for SB can only be forwarded to one IP address (i.e. one computer) in your house.

Himachi may let you get around that, but I've been able to run my machine as "host" while still participating in the battle.

I have created a Yahoo Group at: http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/UKArmour

Anyone on this forum is welcome to join. There is an associated email group:

UKArmour@yahoogroups.co.uk

Any messages posted to this address will be received by all members. Traffic is likely to be light in the near future, but it will a good way of letting members know about coops etc.

Best wishes.

Thanks but that Group wants my real email address and bunch of other stuff that is none of Yahoo's buisness.

I'll email instead.

Its not that he is paranoid but everybody's out to get him.

Well tell that to some of the MI5 and MI6 guys who were targetted by various people (including the para military wing of a political party over your way) because their (or their family's) details somehow got into the public arena.

There are good and valid reasons why I'm not allowed to have a Facebook page, Twitter account, etc. (even if I wanted one).

Edited by Gibsonm

Well tell that to some of the MI5 and MI6 guys who were targetted by various people (including the para military wing of a political party over your way) because their (or their family's) details somehow got into the public arena.

Their are good and valid reasons why I'm not allowed to have a Facebook page, Twitter account, etc. (even if I wanted one).

Totally understandable considering your job it was meant as a jest.

• Moderators
OK well I'd better go back to the books again because on the gunnery range (all reasonably close range targets and using the day sight) when the commander calls for HESH because its a soft target I miss everytime and a simple 1000m (battle sabot / battle fin) engagement becomes a six or seven round HESH one.

Well, the tank range is probably not the best place to hit targets with HESH rounds. The trouble is that our current CR2 gunnery range scenario is not very nice for HESH gunnery, since it is a one size fits all range currently where the lower trajectory (by comparison to HESH) HEAT rounds can relatively easily hit long range movers. Some of the light armor/non-armored targets appear at 2500 meters or so and move at top speed and to make maters worse, they are not always going perfectly perpendicular to your and are at a slight angle. So, all the times when the round goes long in this case is usually due to the high arc and the angular direction of travel of the target. The best thing to do would be to use HESH on stationary targets only, but obviously you don't have a choice on the gunnery range with the AI TC calling the shots. Besides that, if the notice the vehicle moving at an angular direction, you should predict the closure or divergence rate and aim below or above to compensate a bit. If you don't then your tracking rate might be correct, but 3 seconds later when the round gets there the range itself is no longer correct (especially if the round is arcing in from above already).

In the Network Session scenarios, just remember to use day sight with HESH at long range and only engage stationary long range targets with it if possible. In the mean time, maybe we can look into slightly modifying the CR2 gunnery range so that the long range light armor/non-armored targets aren't moving at blistering speeds.

One suggestion: try creating your own Challenger 2 scenario with blind stationary BMPs at medium and long ranges. It is good practice and you can generally get nice first round hits with daysight and HESH.

Edited by Volcano
typo

Was 2 RTR for almost a decade... Too bad my internet is so crap out here in this dusty armpit that is, well this place...

Also left my blasted Dongle back home... Oh well 10 days until leave...

Hey, did we ever get the Chally 2 into SB2??? I'll have to upgrade and see how accurate it is, if we did...

I was asked some questions about it, but you know how that OPSEC shnit is... In Germany our German helpers down at the LAD weren't even allowed to look in the turrets even though they worked on the hulls, you know the nasty dirty bit us gunnery gurus looked at with disgust?... Anyways... Hope everyone is well... Good to see this sim still kicken...

Hey, did we ever get the Chally 2 into SB2??? I'll have to upgrade and see how accurate it is, if we did...

Well SB2 doesn’t actually exist yet / ever (?)

There is a Gunner‘s sight picture for CR2 in SB Pro PE 2.640 (with day sight and TOGS), but no look around interior.

Ongoing discussions about whether CHARM3 is under/over modelled. :)

Stay aware from the lair of the “hull creature”. ;)

• Moderators

I was asked some questions about it, but you know how that OPSEC shnit is... In Germany our German helpers down at the LAD weren't even allowed to look in the turrets even though they worked on the hulls, you know the nasty dirty bit us gunnery gurus looked at with disgust?... Anyways... Hope everyone is well... Good to see this sim still kicken...

Yes, we've already got Challenger 2 crew members providing info (which is how we got the current representation of it), but you are welcome to pick it up and add in your two cents (the more the better). ;)

Hi Tony

please keep me in mind, ex armoured corps 24 years service and still working in the defence industry.

Not much time in the immediate future as my dear wife is poorly at the moment but would love to work with other like minded to form a VU.

Irish

Hello Irish

Sorry to hear about your wife. Why not join the group anyway? There's no committment to online play at any specific time.

Best wishes

Tony

Been toying with the idea of trying out MP, but have held off as I can't commit to anything regular because of my work hours. With that proviso (and my abject lack of ability!) I'd be interested...

Graham

Hi Graham

Do please join the group if you wish. There's no committment to regular play.

And I'm a newbie to SB too!

Best wishes

Tony

Commonwealth soldiers ok?

The TGIF games have always been at a sucky time (0400) for me, and combined with a chaotic work/home schedule, I've never been able to make it. Those Thursday night times sound nice though....also, the UK timezone is much more agreeable. Would notices be up here?

You are very welcome to join UKArmour. (We are a bit undermanned at the moment!)

Best wishes

Tony

C.O UKArmour