Virtual unit for AS / NZ - BG ANZAC

Gibsonm

Can't let the poms get ahead of us. :)

https://bganzac.basecamphq.com

You will need to create a userid and password (but no questions about address, date of birth, etc.).

The idea is not revolutionary - a forum for players in AS and NZ to exchange ideas and schedule events when the Sun is up around here. Those events would also be copied from the Calendar there to the one here for wider information.

The intent is not to replace here but provide a local venue. I see all major discussions still happening here.

The Basecamp option lets us exchange emails, run a calendar, set "To Do's" if we want, host files (10Mb limit) and a planning whiteboard for $0.

So if you are interested, send me a PM (or email) and I'll send you the invitation and set you up.

Your message to me needs to contain:

First name:

Surname:

Email Address:

I’ll assume the nickname is to be the same as the one you use here.

Depending on the take up rate I'll then talk to the TS "powers that be" re setting up a dedicated channel.

(If no NZ support it may become BG Paratus) :)

Anyway drop me a line and we'll see how it goes. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

No danger of that - but we're only 9 hours behind!

But that actually isn't so bad. 19:00 your time is 10:00 UK time. What time of day (local) are you thinking of operating?

I'm assuming here that poms would be allowed to particpate. :heu::heu:

Regards

Well no idea as to timing yet but I suspect it wont be the oft preferred "European" option of 1800 GMT which equates to approx 0500 here (earlier to get up, etc.) made worse by it being say Sunday night which equates to early Monday morning here.

I see it as an "open" outfit available to all. We may end up with games offered in various time zones to satisfy all tastes.

The only real issue is the number of hops for a game - from here I often get 300+ which generates lags so you aren't getting the instant updates that others get.

Well no idea as to timing yet but I suspect it wont be the oft preferred "European" option of 1800 GMT which equates to approx 0500 here (earlier to get up, etc.) made worse by it being say Sunday night which equates to early Monday morning here.

I see it as an "open" outfit available to all. We may end up with games offered in various time zones to satisfy all tastes.

The only real issue is the number of hops for a game - from here I often get 300+ which generates lags so you aren't getting the instant updates that others get.

Roger. 10:00 your time would be feasible for me - at least at weekends.

Best wishes

Can't let the poms get ahead of us. :)

https://bganzac.basecamphq.com

You will need to create a userid and password (but no questions about address, date of birth, etc.).

The idea is not revolutionary - a forum for players in AS and NZ to exchange ideas and schedule events when the Sun is up around here. Those events would also be copied from the Calendar there to the one here for wider information.

The intent is not to replace here but provide a local venue. I see all major discussions still happening here.

The Basecamp option lets us exchange emails, run a calendar, set "To Do's" if we want, host files (10Mb limit) and a planning whiteboard for $0.

So if you are interested, send me a PM (or email) and I'll send you the invitation and set you up.

Can I ask that the nickname that you use equates to the one you have here? :)

Depending on the take up rate I'll then talk to the TS "powers that be" re setting up a dedicated channel.

(If no NZ support it may become BG Paratus) :)

Anyway drop me a line and we'll see how it goes. :)

Well, as an Aussie living in New Zealand (not sure if that counts as "NZ support" or not?), I'm in. I've sent you a PM to that effect.

I look forward to some Antipodean multiplayer action :-D

Well until I get a critical base I’m not going to try and shape anything.

I would expect though that people will “fight” their vehicle of choice (just like they do here). Focusing on just say M1 implies only M1 vs M1 H2H battles and that will get boring very quickly.

I’m sure though we will have an AS / NZ feel (i.e. use our call sign templates, etc.).

I can’t say about games against other VU’s but I’d suspect not, at least initially.

To do so puts us back into the same “tyranny of distance issue” as now except worse. Currently I experience 300+ hops to either TGIF or Europe and if I drop out, I’m the only one effected. If everyone in Blue dropped out the “other side” would be pretty pi**ed.

I also don’t want to make it a “formed unit” as that generates possible expectations about people have to be a certain standard to play or good on “a” vehicle.

I don’t want to alienate anyone before we have even started. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

Hi Gibsonm.

I am corresponding with tony at the moment.

And intend to join a Brit Vu unit i wondering.Do you think having a military background gives

Players an unfair advantage against civilians.in the multiplayer realm i don't mean any offence to anybody

I am new to the hole multiplayer experience and if i am honest i am not a very skillful player

I tend to fight my battles in observer mode .Due to my poor gunnery skills.the funny thing is I Am pretty good on the range but pretty poor in the field.guess i don't like being shoot at. ha

Well the following is subjective and “IMHO”.

I don’t think having a military background matters too much.

Yes if that military background is as a tank crewman on the tank in question you may have a better instinctive understanding of ground, tactics, etc. but if the rest of the group has a civilian background then it doesn’t matter as you end up with conversations like:

Military: “32 move your csn to feature 26, occupy the ABF and support the ME against the MDCOA”

Civilian person who has “32”: “huh”? or “WTF!?”, etc.

If everyone on one side has the same military background (so say all M1 crewman in a M1 outfit) then yes there are advantages as that group will probably move better and faster than a civilian based opponent.

If the unit is predominantly military with some civilians then as long as the military guys have an open mind that’s fine. If they start abusing the civilian for not doing something that is instinctive to the military guy but unknown to the civilian, then it can get messy.

IMHO nothing wrong with fighting at F8. If you want the AI to do the gunning, etc. fine. If you want as you gain confidence you can jump from F8 to F6 or start working from F7.

I don’t think there’s an issue with learning to walk before we enter you in the 100m Final at London. :)

Military: “32 move your csn to feature 26, occupy the ABF and support the ME against the MDCOA”

Civilian person who has “32”: “huh”? or “WTF!?”, etc.

Thanks for the insight mark.i watched a few you tube videos of Guy,s playing online

I found it a bit of putting the way they used military terminologies.like you said civilian WTF.

Still i have more time so i can research a bit more.i agree an all military Team. would certainly Be Faster. i am looking forward to giving it a try.it would also be interesting if the civilian team Had better equipment in a vs game.as i have seen interviews with armored officers saying if They had to choose between.A well trained crew or a poorly trained but better equipped crew They would pick A well trained crew. i wonder what the result would be if the well trained Crew were in say a Leo-1AS and there opposites were in The Leo-2e or a M1.

Its some thing i have experimented with many times in single player mode and the side with the better equipment normally comes out on top.

military backround does help, but a good unit will not just use those opinions from those with military backrounds but from everyone. When I ran 2nd Dragoons, I liked using military jargon, but I tried to teach the non military guys what each term meant, and if they didnt catch, i didnt use it. Although I had years of military backround, I still used suggestions from those that werent military. (xept when it came to employing the bradleys, hehe) But anyhows, dont let a unit with a lot of military backround intimidate you, because, after all, they are human also, and can make mistakes. I know, I made a lot myself.

Well until I get a critical base I’m not going to try and shape anything.

I also don’t want to make it a “formed unit” as that generates possible expectations about people have to be a certain standard to play or good on “a” vehicle.

I don’t want to alienate anyone before we have even started. :)

That's exactly the approach I'm adopting with UKArmour. Great minds think alike.

Best wishes

Tony

C.O UKArmour

Firstly to the sysadmins:

Sorry for using the wrong thread, thanks for relocating it (as opposed to deleting). :)

To the rest of the guys, I found some old threads about AS co-op sessions and have PM'ed the participants. They date back to 2007 ish so unsure if we will receive a response.