Adjusting artillery

OldnSlow

Hi guys, just started trying to learn this sim so please bear with me if I ask any stupid questions. I am trying to adjust artillery fire from the 3D view. Can anyone give me the idiots guide on artillery adjustment? There seem to be a lot of variables in the adjustment dialog. What is the difference between Add/Drop and Up/Down. How do I adjust fire along a certain bearing?

Any help gratefully received. :confused:

Hmm, that would be something worth a wiki entry.

As it would be a more lengthy explaination with screenshots and all...

1st:

-add: impact will be further away from observers point of view

-drop:impact closer to the observer

there should be no "up and down"(??) but:

-right...

-left...

(I think they are obvious)

One thing I'm not shure about is wether these corrections are made along your line of sight, or according to the bearing you entered.

If you want to adjust the fire, you also need to use the stadia lines in you sights, f.e. you need to know how many meters

10-mil(degree) are at distance of lets say 5000m.

Again, something best explained best screenshots, which I can't provide right now as I#m not at my own PC. :-/

There are still a few bugs in the artillery. Expect them to get squashed this year.

Any chance that SeanPatrick's suggestion would be implemented: a "minor" change to the support option?

E.g.:"Allow HE support if:

* unit x has reached waypoint y

* mission time > 15:00

* howitzers are not destroyed

* etc..."

=> this would allow to simulate (partly) counterbatteryfire ... shoot & scoot with the howitzers ...

= a major new tactical dimension to SB

Grtz, Koen

Up and Down is a change in Target's Elevation I Believe, which is not implemented.

(Neither is the type of target, type if cover & number of target frame in the FS Dialog.)

I Think (Guessing) that the Add/Drop Left Right will be along/across the Axis set ijn the Fire Mission.

Well a "mil" is a more precise unit of measuring an angle.

360 degress = 6400 mils

In addition a mil has a special trigonomic property in that "1mil subtends 1m at 1,000m"

So if I set a bearing of 10mils and walk out 1,000m and put a marker in the ground, go back to where I started from and then set a bearing of 11mils and put in a second marker, those markers will be 1m apart.

Practical application?

Well lets say you have some binoculars with mils marked on the lens that indicate a gap of 5mils or 10mils apart (look at the FO binos in the game).

Lets also say that an enemy tank whose hull is 5m long (T-72 = 7m) is driving along a road from your left to right.

If the tank fills the 5mil "space" then the tank is 1,000m away from you.

Similarly if it fills two spaces its now 500m away from you.

If it is a T-72 and fills 5mils then the range is 1,500m (5mils x 1.5 [1mil subtends 1.5m at 1,500m] = 7m [ish])

Works in reverse too.

So if some vehicle is at a known point say a road junction that you know from your map is 1,000m away and it fills the 10mil gap then you know the vehicle is 10m long.

So in Artillery, a target 1,000m away that is 100m to the left of the line "OT" (observer/target) will need a correction of:

"Left" (because its to the left of where the rounds fell).

"100" (100m x 1 [because 1mil subtends 1m at 1,000m]).

At 2,000m it would be "Left 50" because 1mil subtends 2m at 2,000m so 100m divided by 2m = 50mils correction.

Tomorrow's "pop quiz" ....

Be advise that you have to set the bearing before giving the adjustement.

By "bearing" do you mean the "direction" field in the adjustment dialogue? I always kinda wondered about that. The manual/tutorial isn't too specific in that regard.

Also, how is the "previous direction" checkbox used? I assume it refers back to the previous units bearing to the target if the direction was changed to suit a new unit?

Edit: Never mind, I just read further into the "support 2" tutorial briefing and found what I was looking for. I swear that wasn't there before. :redface:

Yes, this is when GTA 05-02-012 comes in handy.

Awesome!...I happened to have some inkjet transparencies laying around so I printed this out on one. Now I'm going to try it in-game.

To be sure: from what I could find on the 'net the protractor is supposed to be about 120x120mm. Is that correct?

Edit: If printed at 120x120mm with a full-screen resolution of 1680x1050, the scales work thusly:

1. 1:25,000 scale works at map zoom 1.8
  2. 1:50,000 scale works at map zoom 0.8 (barely usable, really)
  3. 1:100,000 scale works at map zoom 0.4 (doubt this would be useful at all)

Screenshots of the protractor in use:

1. I used the scales to determine the address of the target (matches the spot I lased)
  2. I put a reference point at that location
  3. I drew a line from my vehicle to the target
  4. I measured the mils w/ the protractor (again, matches :) )

Pretty cool. Now, before I waste all of my printer ink: Does the map print at a set resolution? Or does it vary with the zoom? I know I could just hit "printscreen" and size it how I'd like, but it'd be way easier if the map printed at a set scale (say 1:25,000) or whatever zoom is currently set.

Line.JPG.33888e8043bfa25a8c24d2306c60167

Mils1.JPG.370da09fcb2920d7a7024bbea857f4

Mils2.jpg.16170a7ba99c15f85a42ecb2df17f1

Address.JPG.818b9a85450d3ddfde54fc11230c

Line.JPG.33888e8043bfa25a8c24d2306c60167

Mils1.JPG.370da09fcb2920d7a7024bbea857f4

Mils2.jpg.16170a7ba99c15f85a42ecb2df17f1

Address.JPG.818b9a85450d3ddfde54fc11230c

• Members

There's different ways to print a map. You could zoom in, pan and scan, and make overlapping screenshots which you then stitch together in Photoshop. This would get you the highest possible resolution.

Otherwise I think that we treat each terrain tile of 12.5 x 12.5 m² as one pixel. At 300 dpi (black & white) that's 3,750m per inch or 1:147,637.79 scale; at 100dpi that's 1:49,212 scale, reasonably close to 1:50k.

But I'm not 100% sure that this is really what the print function will do. I'd print a blank map once. That will use minimal ink and print the grid, so you can then take a ruler and see what the scale is.

• Moderators
Awesome!...I happened to have some inkjet transparencies laying around so I printed this out on one. Now I'm going to try it in-game.

To be sure: from what I could find on the 'net the protractor is supposed to be about 120x120mm. Is that correct?

Edit: If printed at 120x120mm with a full-screen resolution of 1680x1050, the scales work thusly:

1. 1:25,000 scale works at map zoom 1.8
  2. 1:50,000 scale works at map zoom 0.8 (barely usable, really)
  3. 1:100,000 scale works at map zoom 0.4 (doubt this would be useful at all)

Hmm, not sure about the exact dimensions, but that sounds about right.

Is it assumed that the guns are firing along the OT line and no parallax correction is needed?

Thats the job of the gunnies to figure out the right angle.

The observer has to give his angle of observation and range to the tgt.

This way the guns can make the adjustments according to his point of view.

An alternative for shots from the map (rather than or instead of observed fires) is to set the bearing line line to 0 mils, and then give N-S (over-short) and E-W (right-left) corrections.

An 'Incorrect' method, but can be useful when the observer is also dropping in and out of other vehicles and can find the relationships of each call made and their directions of fire can be forgotten over time - while if the user was only directing fires, this would be easier to manage.