T-72M1 Issues

OnAlienware

I've noticed this as well. It shows up quite often for me while praticing on the gunnery range. It is as FlatTax has said...I will put the little circle dead center on a target. The target is usually quite far out. Lase the target and get no return. The solution I've found is lower target circle on the target to where it is hitting the ground by the target vehicle...that seems to do the job and I get a proper range then.

If I were to guess....and I'm absolutely illerate when it comes to programing...I'd say that the actual representation of the target (programming wise) is lower than the graphical representation...at least at significant distances.

I've also noticed in gunnery practice that the little red lase circle will sometimes move on me in relation to where it should be from the main target carrot (spelling?) What I mean is if you zero out the range, the carrot will sometimes be right underneath the point of aiming carrot, other times (like I beleive it should) it will be slightly down and to the right of the main tip of the aiming carrot.

• Moderators
I've also noticed in gunnery practice that the little red lase circle will sometimes move on me in relation to where it should be from the main target carrot (spelling?) What I mean is if you zero out the range, the carrot will sometimes be right underneath the point of aiming carrot, other times (like I beleive it should) it will be slightly down and to the right of the main tip of the aiming carrot.

Do you mean when you use the gunner range the LRF circle will appear in one place, then when you run the scenario again it will appear in another? This is by design, the T-72 is kind of like a hand assembled tank where each one is unique. The LRF on one tank may be aligned to one place, and on another it is in a different area.

Do you mean when you use the gunner range the LRF circle will appear in one place, then when you run the scenario again it will appear in another? This is by design, the T-72 is kind of like a hand assembled tank where each one is unique. The LRF on one tank may be aligned to one place, and on another it is in a different area.

Can't get more realistic than that...

• Moderators
I've been having problems getting the LRF to generate a return at mid to long ranges (2-2.5k meters), sometimes taking five or more attempts. It makes me suspect the LRF isn't properly zeroed on the red circle. Anyone else find the LRF tempermental?

Well, I believe the trouble in your case is that the target may not fully fill the LRF circle, and you will get a multiple return, in which case the FCS returns "0000". I could be wrong about how the actual tank handles multiple returns, but that is how I see it. In that case you should aim the LRF lower than target.

Also, make sure you are not pressing the ~ key (which is toggle between 1st and multiple return on other tanks). If you do this, you will unknowingly toggle the LRF into a three way mode between gated ranges of 1000, 1800 and back to normal. You can see this three way switch to the right of the GPS. If the red light is lit above that black switch (below the LED range indicator) then you are gating the range. If ~ is pressed once then you will gate range to 1000 meters. So any range lased beyond 1000 will not move the reticle but rather will only display the range in the LED indicator. If you toggle the switch again you will limit it to 1800. So, before you think you are getting bad lases, you should always look to the right of the GPS at the LED indicator to what values are actually there first.

Of course the other issue with long range is that the T-72 will only accept so long of a range, but that is not applicable here. In that case however, you need to reference the LED and get the range, then use the scroll wheel to manually index it.

Anyway, hopefully that helps. Of course no one is ruling out a bug, but I think the above is most likely the case here. Let us know if that is not the case.

No kidding? I guess you can't get more real than that. And yes...that was what I was noticing.

Well, I believe the trouble in your case is that the target may not fully fill the LRF circle, and you will get a multiple return, in which case the FCS returns "0000". I could be wrong about how the actual tank handles multiple returns, but that is how I see it. In that case you should aim the LRF lower than target.

Also, make sure you are not pressing the ~ key (which is toggle between 1st and multiple return on other tanks). If you do this, you will unknowingly toggle the LRF into a three way mode between gated ranges of 1000, 1800 and back to normal. You can see this three way switch to the right of the GPS. If the red light is lit above that black switch (below the LED range indicator) then you are gating the range. If ~ is pressed once then you will gate range to 1000 meters. So any range lased beyond 1000 will not move the reticle but rather will only display the range in the LED indicator. If you toggle the switch again you will limit it to 1800. So, before you think you are getting bad lases, you should always look to the right of the GPS at the LED indicator to what values are actually there first.

Of course the other issue with long range is that the T-72 will only accept so long of a range, but that is not applicable here. In that case however, you need to reference the LED and get the range, then use the scroll wheel to manually index it.

Anyway, hopefully that helps. Of course no one is ruling out a bug, but I think the above is most likely the case here. Let us know if that is not the case.

Very cool. I'll have to take a closer look.

• Members
No kidding? I guess you can't get more real than that. And yes...that was what I was noticing.

Actually I think it was more that production batch N of the tank got the LRF circle in one position, and series N+1 in another.. but since SB does not track a tank's way from the production facility to the platoon it's used in (horrible oversight on part of the dev team, and that's for a 100$ sim!), it's just placed randomly..

Actually I think it was more that production batch N of the tank got the LRF circle in one position, and series N+1 in another.. but since SB does not track a tank's way from the production facility to the platoon it's used in (horrible oversight on part of the dev team, and that's for a 100$ sim!), it's just placed randomly..

Agreed: it is a nice touch and a good effort to simulate the variances in build between T-72's re: the LRF alignment. :luxhello:

However, considering that a T-72 gunner would get used to the LRF alignment on his tank and not have to deal with it shifting around from day to day I would submit that the same should be true for the SB player.

In other words lock the alignment down to one spot. It may be appropriate to take another look at the feature and remove it from the next build.

Unless, of course, the norm for real life tank crews using the T-72 is to hop around from tank to tank on a regular basis.

• Moderators
Agreed: it is a nice touch and a good effort to simulate the variances in build between T-72's re: the LRF alignment. :luxhello:

However, considering that a T-72 gunner would get used to the LRF alignment on his tank and not have to deal with it shifting around from day to day I would submit that the same should be true for the SB player.

In other words lock the alignment down to one spot. It may be appropriate to take another look at the feature and remove it from the next build.

Unless, of course, the norm for real life tank crews using the T-72 is to hop around from tank to tank on a regular basis.

Well, no, this doesn't make sense to me because in SB you do not represent one gunner across all of your scenarios. The LRF circle could be variable IRL from tank to tank, so why we would lock it down to one spot simply because the user can jump from tank to tank in SB? You could however stick to the same tank in one mission and get used to its location, sure, but the life expectancy is so short that it is not likely to happen. Besides, what is the big deal? All you have to do is see where the circle is and put the target inside of that to lase it, there is no guessing involved. ;)

At least Sovs used to roll a few selected tanks for training and keep a large inventory of tanks in mint condition enough to equip entire unit just in case Europe goes down in flames...

So yes, in war scenarios Sov T-72 crews would not ride on tanks they were used to ride during peacetime.

So get used to it soldier :debile2: