T-72 campaign kickoff sat 3rd March

Zipuli

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone willing to Fraps the mission? I will be doing it too so maybe we can have AAR from multiple points of view? Maybe even the red side?

I will NOT post the briefings here not to spoil what the other side is supposed to do and once the game launches there'll be limited time to work out a plan before the action begins. I will post the overall situation though later today.

CAMPAIGN KICK OFF SITUATION:

It's september 15th, 1996, 07.00 hrs.

The war has been raging on for three weeks now, and the Russian attack has ground to a halt. President Zhirinovski, fearing loss of face, has ordered more units to be moved to the northern front, including special airborne assault units and a marine unit, capable of amphibious landings. With these shock forces he will try to restart the attack by striking in the Finnish flanks and rear forcing the Finns on their knees...

1st Armour Brigade has been laying in wait, deep in Finnish territory as a reserve. Well camoflaged and spread out it has managed to avoid the full attention of the Russian air power. The men have been training and plans have been produced by the HQs...

14th September the Russians launched the second phase of their attack after much preparation. Units of the 76th Airborne Division were dropped in the depth of the Finnish defences, managing to cut many important supply routes. So far the main supply route (MSR) Highway 6 has been kept open and enemy air activity has been low due to well placed AA assets along the route.

During the night between 14th and 15th September elements of the 234 Regiment were dropped dangerously close to Highway 6 and 3rd Battalion of the Finnish 1st Armour Brigade were ordered to move in and prevent the enemy from reaching the MSR by defeating the enemy airborne force. So far it's unclear what is the strenght of the enemy unit, or how many more units will follow, but looking at the map it looks like the Russian airborne landings form a corridor that a mechanized unit could move along in the Finnish rear once the ground attack can be relaunched and a breakthrough forced. Also alarming news of Russian amphibious units forming up, clearly preparing for a major operation, have been heard and seen in news. Looks like the late september 1996 will see the outcome of this unfortunate confict in the north.

Current weather and terrain conditions:

It's still warm and the fall rains have not started yet - leaving the fields solid enough to carry the weight of armoured vehicles. Once the rains begin, the fields will turn into muddy tank ditches, but this seems to be weeks away... This allows both sides excellent mobility in the area of operation.

in for OPFOR? *hand raised*

Grenny,

I'll probably be there, and I'll take any job open. I'm assuming that the T-72 company will be well-manned, so any job for me will likely be OPFOR. If you can confirm that (due to your more in-depth knowledge of the requirements) pencil me in for an OPFOR slot and we can coordinate tomorrow.

Grenny,

I'll probably be there, and I'll take any job open. I'm assuming that the T-72 company will be well-manned, so any job for me will likely be OPFOR. If you can confirm that (due to your more in-depth knowledge of the requirements) pencil me in for an OPFOR slot and we can coordinate tomorrow.

you guess is as googd as mine.

We'll just show up and do our best to help the peoples army to free the suppressed working class ;-)