Tank intercom activation.

Crusty

I was wondering, in Team speak we have a push to talk button,

how is the intercom activated in a real tank.

Is it by a button on a cable or a button/pedal on the floor,

does it vary from country to country?

Germany: switch on the left side of "headset".

3-position switch...1-intercom(this one locks, so you don't have to push all the

time),2-neutral position, 3-radio(command net)-this one is push to talk

3-position switch...

1-intercom(this one locks, so you don't have to push all the time),

2-neutral position,

3-radio(command net)-this one is push to talk

Similar here with our "CVC" helmets.

Radio is spring loaded so you don't leave the mic "on" and jam the net.

Used to be on a breast plate on the old headsets (that worked well but provided little protection).

3-position switch...1-intercom(this one locks, so you don't have to push all the

time),2-neutral position, 3-radio(command net)-this one is push to talk

That's exactly how our CVC's worked in the early 70's when I served in M-60A1's.

I guess the old adage that if it ain't broke don't fix it is true.

That's exactly how our CVC's worked in the early 70's when I served in M-60A1's.

I guess the old adage that if it ain't broke don't fix it is true.

Surprised it's not a spring-loaded button on the crew member's controller. On all aircraft I've come across it's on the stick or control column. The original HOTAS item dating back to prewar.

Same in Gemany:

9_Sem_35_BV-Bedien_2.jpg

Only hear in Pos I+II

Hear and Speak in Pos I or II

Intercom allways

So if you want to sent something you have to switch to I or II ( mostly I for the Platoon Channel; II for the Company Channel) and push sent on your Headset.

On new Generation Head Set Sent/Speak Button is located on the left Side intigratet in the Speaker:

headset.jpg

Older Systems work with a Switch at the Breast:

kopfhoerer_16050081.jpg

Surprised it's not a spring-loaded button on the crew member's controller. On all aircraft I've come across it's on the stick or control column. The original HOTAS item dating back to prewar.

Maybe works for the Gunner and driver. but the TC and loader arent always touching their toys. Like the gunner has to turn around to steer the driver in reverse. then the TC control will be uncomfortable. Having it on the side of the helmet makes it always accessible.

Sweden have the same solution as Germany and I love it. :smilelove-1:

Yes but being in a tank is less constrictive than a fighter cockpit.

You can often be on the turret roof (or elsewhere away from your seat) and still able to "talk" since you are only constrained by the length of cable.

Often you can hang a headset out of a hatch and "monitor the net" while you are off doing something else and to talk you just grab the CVC, you don't have to climb inside.

Just think of a loadmaster in a C-130, C-17, C-5, etc. he needs to talk and move.

No idea.

"We" don't need it for Pro since we either:

a. Use real radios, or

b. Use a combat net radio (CNR) sim if required.

We use the one CNR sim for this, Sig Trg, CPX's etc. so we have common platform and people don't need to learn the comms sim (since its only an enabler for the real trg).

No idea.

"We" don't need it for Pro since we either:

My bad, I meant for us lowlife types with the PE edition..lol

not in the military side... I will update my posting.

It's good to know that this is thought out and is actually used on the military side though..

My bad, I meant for us lowlife types with the PE edition..lol

not in the military side... I will update my posting.

It's good to know that this is thought out and is actually used on the military side though..

Yes the guys just use their normal CVC or handset (as appropriate) and they don't know if they are using a radio or a radio sim.

I suspect through that you might get some "push back" from PE users if they had to fight for comms as well as fight the bad guy - sort of detracts from the entertainment value / fun factor.

I suspect through that you might get some "push back" from PE users if they had to fight for comms as well as fight the bad guy - sort of detracts from the entertainment value / fun factor.

I thought you mentioned in another posting , this is not a game? And reality should be the main object? Hmmm... I get so confused what this game / sim is at times.. wonder why?

ahh well.. it don't matter..was just a thought thrown outloud.. as some sims actually go that far.. and are considered just "games" around here..

That tar is actually a very nice system / plugin, no need for different channels.. you all stay together and just change frequency... like in the real world... but yeah, I can see we need to not talk about it here.. rgr..

I digress..

Was there ever a foot button used for push to talk? I realise it would be no use for the commander or loader, but maybe the gunner,.

ON Cheiftan and CR1 the intercom (i/c) was always set to live, ie no pressell is needed to be pressed in order to communicate with crew. The commander had a breast plate (CPU) which he used to select which radio he wished to transmit on, it also had a transmit button on the breast plate. The commander also had a foot pressel which he could use to transmit with. This was often disconnected as young inexperienced commanders often stood on it without realising and put themselves on "Permanent Send". The other crew members made their own radio or i/c settings via their individual crewboxes.

Irish

PS

From the mid nineties onwards Active Noise Reduction (ANR) headsets were introduced so that the live mic or live i/c became voice activated.

CR2 was the same untill it was retro-fitted for the new digitised radios. As I had left the service by then I can not comment any further.