Videogaming - 50th anniversary

daskal

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/02/what-was-the-first-videogame-youve-ever-played.html?cmp=rss

My first video game experience was Falcon Patrol for the C64 - great memories.

And what was the first video game you ever played?

Silent service. on the Nintendo NS.

That was it for me. Hooked for the rest of my life.

I even owned an Atari 32.i must have been the only person to buy one.

The bloody think just kept crashing.i gave it away in the end.

Microprose Gunship from the mid-80's.

Thats the game that really grabbed me and started my lifelong love of simulations.

Had the PC version. PlayStation.and the Atari 32 version had Hasbro not took over Micropose it would have developed in to something exceptional.the same could be said About tank platoon.

USS Dewey, DDG45, 1978: Star Trek in CIC on the OS's radar consoles run by the ship's computers. We could have 10 or 12 guys all playing at the same time, free for all or team play.

That was some of - if not the most fun I ever had playing multiplayer.

One of the DS's programmed one of our Fire Control computers to play Chess. Simple algorithm where the program remembered positions and whether or not that position and the move made led to victory or defeat. We started playing against the computer when we left Charleston, SC for the Med. Anyone could beat the thing. Six months later when we returned to Charleston no one on the ship could beat that computer.

Good times...

Although I remember Pong and having an Atari In the house, I think the first game I ever played and owned was this... Arcadia for the ZX-Spectrum 48k

... the bad thing is I still have it. Although I can no longer play it as I do not have a screen that will work with the spectrum any longer

1st I ever played? Yeah, Pong.

1st I ever owned? I think it was "Tiger Heli" for the NES. (If you don't count Super Mario 1 which I co-owned with my sister.)

9RpKgfqRHrU

I also had this device called a "

" which let you chea..er um "enhance" a lot of games. So one day I made my Tiger Heli invincible and left it running while I went out to play. (Yes, it was not so long ago that children went outside occasionally. :) ) I came back that evening to find the game still scrolling away. I don't think there was an end to it at all.

My first game was probably Prince of Persia. (No. 1) runnin on a IBM PS2 286.

And we had a sample 3.5" Floppy with an M1TP Demo!

4 pointed muzzle flashes and everything!

Metal Gear Solid only the Japanese could come with names like that!

Plus If I was in that M1 (How Civvies got hold of it....):

A) Shut the Hatch.

B) Use the GAS.

C) Saw him in half with the coax.

:men_ani:

Silent service. on the Nintendo NS.

That was it for me. Hooked for the rest of my life.

I even owned an Atari 32.i must have been the only person to buy one.

The bloody think just kept crashing.i gave it away in the end.

Same for me. IIRC I upgraded my Atari 32 to a 64. But I could be mistaken.

Anyone remember the precursor to video games - text based games?

Such as: Computer - 'You are in room'. Me - turn left. Computer - a wall. Me - turn right. Computer - You see a door. Me - open door. Computer - door open. Me - go through door. Computer - you have fallen down a well. You should have looked first.

Wildly exciting at the time. But you had to be there...

Such as: Computer - 'You are in room'. Me - turn left. Computer - a wall. Me - turn right. Computer - You see a door. Me - open door. Computer - door open. Me - go through door. Computer - you have fallen down a well. You should have looked first.

Yes! King's Quest comes to mind...

Ahhh, the memories! Like Rump, my first videogame experience was Atari Pong, in a bar in Victorville, CA when I was TDY doing some training at George AFB.

Text adventures - loved them and still do. I still play some of the old Infocom games, some of which I have never solved because I despise taking hints. And of course, the original Adventure on, at the time, a DEC minicomputer. "You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike."

Then, when the Internet came along, I was working at a College in the IT department and we'd spend hours at night playing NetTrek and MUD. Good times!

Zork, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, etc....