M113AS4 TIS

Panzer_Leader

I've been familiarising myself with the M113AS4 and notice it is modelled with a full TIS whereas I understand the vehicle is actually fitted with an Image Intensifying (II) day/night sight. Has the TIS been modelled as the most appropriate proxy in the SB world for an II sight or have I missed something in terms of the M113AS4's capabilities?

I'm interested because the TIS can be used for more effective target acquisition during the day versus a pure "day" sight (by picking up hot spots) but understand II cannot be used in this way so, if the above assumption is correct, the M113AS4 is more capable in SB than in the real world.

Thanks guys.

Its easy, in the Mission Editor if you don't want the vehicle to have a thermal sight then disable it -- it is much easier to remove a thermal sight than to add one. ;)

Sure, it's easy enough to do that. I just wanted to confirm it was something I should be doing during daytime scenarios.

At night (which I don't play that often) I'll continue to use the TIS. Having said that, I imagine in the real world the night sight on the M113AS4 would look more like the current NVG view in SB, perhaps with greater range and resolution due to it being a larger II unit, with a sight graticule over the top? Just curious is all.

It´s not easy to bring light on it.....

The Project to upgrade the M113 AS1 is called "Project LAND 106" given to Tenix Defence.

Tenix cooperate with FFG and a bunch of others Companies.

One of these were Thales, to built the Turret and the Optics.

It´not 100% clear, but FCS is a Thalis DNGS.

So the M113 AS4 should have a TIS or a last Generation Image Intensifier, that´s as good as a TIS.

http://www.thalesgroup.com/Portfolio/Defence/LandJoint_Products_Lethality_DNGS/?pid=1498

It´s not easy to bring light on it.....

You're right, it is very hard to find definitive information.

It´not 100% clear, but FCS is a Thalis DNGS.

So the M113 AS4 should have a TIS or a last Generation Image Intensifier, that´s as good as a TIS.

http://www.thalesgroup.com/Portfolio/Defence/LandJoint_Products_Lethality_DNGS/?pid=1498

Nice find. Interestingly the DNGS B image in your link above corresponds exactly to the TC's sight in the attached photograph.

The only other detailed reference I could find is here: http://www.australiandefence.com.au/39F12F30-F807-11DD-8DFE0050568C22C9 (refer third last paragraph). The article states "The APC variant sports a new turret, designed by Tenix and mounting a .50 calibre machine gun with powered drive and Thales Maxi day-night sight." The reference to "Thales Maxi" is not overly helpful as the only match I could find through a web search is for a "Thales MAXI-KITE MK 2" heavy weapon's sight and it's not clear to me whether that's the same thing or not (perhaps the II technology is shared with the DNGS)?

Anyway, if I only use the day channel during the day and leave the TIS for night this should be a workable approximation of a late generation II sight by the sound of it.

56e83cb817fbe_TCPositionM113AS4.jpg.dd9c

56e83cb817fbe_TCPositionM113AS4.jpg.dd9c