Scenario QC

OnAlienware

I suspect some of the stock missions are broken. Stryker Ambush (M1) seems to be the most egregious example, with the enemy almost entirely bogged down in the rocks.

Nevermind that the "T-55s" are still Leo 1s. The mission briefing also leaves significant room for improvement.

Given how few official desert-themed single player M1 scenarios there are, it's a disappointment.

Edited by FlatTax
typo

Get to work my friend and fix them+ make new ones

Smiley or not that was not the OP's point...

Order a BMW with a specific set of features, pay for it and get something different; would you be pleased?

Neither would I.

If the scenario in question has the faults as described someone blew it.

In addition - a paying customer made a reasonable observation and provided detailed feedback about an issue of concern.

Wouldn't a more reasonable response have been to acknowledge his concern and suggest something other than what boils down to "fix it yourself".

Supplying broken scenarios in a game that costs what SB Pro Pe costs is not the best way for a company to earn a reputation for quality.

Since I ran the Quality Assurance group for an international medical equipment manufacturer for 7 years (Organon Teknika, Oklahoma City - now Akzo Noble) I think I am qualified to make the above observation.

They weren't broken to begin with now were they? :)

Such is the nature of advancements.

Does this mean in an earlier version they worked fine?

Myself, as a "new" user coming on the scene in 2.640 I would expect all the maps within the game "did" work if they are still included. Yes, that would be a quality issue. Not everyone been around ten years. If nothing else, a list of maps that currently work and do not work should be included no?

I think the map issue is not so much that its "broken" but that its initial design made it too rocky to use.

The issue is that earlier versions had other vehicles as "proxies".

So in the example the Leo 1 was a proxy for T-55.

Now we have T-55 included it probably makes sense for eSim to go back and change the scenario so T-55s are used to represent T-55.

No doubt similar issues apply to scenarios where Leo 1 is a proxy for T-62, etc.

More likely, an object used in the map had its characteristic changed in one on the annual updates and the scenario creator did not update the scenario. AI pathfinding has changed more than once, I would bet. The result is AI units that do not act as the originally did. Nobody blew anything.

Mog

Good point, I'd forgotten about those changes. ;)

• Moderators

Ok, here are the three Stryker Ambush scenarios -- I fixed them in about 30 minutes.

A couple of things to keep in mind before we think the worst about a scenario:

1) Look at when the scenario was created. These were created in 2006, and a heckuvalot has changed in SB in six years.

2) We rely on submissions out of the kindness of people's hearts for one thing, as there is also no dedicated group of scenario designers.

3) We don't have the resources to check every scenario between updates as there are too many.

4) Because of #3 and #4, we have to assume that the scenario is in working order until someone points out that there is something wrong with it. At that point we make a decision: fix it or remove it from SB? In this case, I fixed it because it was not that extensive to do so.

Wow. The M1 scenario feels like another world. If this is going into the patch, there's a European building at the south end of town which is, well, out of its element.

Your kidding right?

Extract the map, replace the building in the map editor, save it and refresh the map back in the mission editor.

No good deed goes unpunished I guess...

Mog

• Moderators
No, not kidding. If this build of the scenario is becoming official, fixing my copy (done, btw) doesn't help anyone else.

It doesn't matter if the buildings looks European, that is how the mission designer wanted it to look; I made no change to the building types. I think what Mog is saying is that you are now talking about enhancing the scenario, feel free to enhance your local copy all you want.

I suspect the changes were automated, but they're there. A series of buildings on the east side of town are missing, a pond is missing, and the European building on the south end of town isn't original.

I think the scenario is worth a second look before it goes out to the whole community.

• Moderators
I suspect the changes were automated, but they're there. A series of buildings on the east side of town are missing, a pond is missing, and the European building on the south end of town isn't original.

I think the scenario is worth a second look before it goes out to the whole community.

Here is what I did:

I opened all three scenarios and noticed that the third one, the one titled "LTH" had no rocks, which is what your original complaint was. I then extract that map, and refreshed the others to fix that problem which it did. I also fixed a few ammunition problems and change the Leo 1s to T-55s as was another complaint, except for one of the scenarios which was supposed to be T-72s. Now whether or not the town in the LTH version is a little different or what, OK fine. However, I am not remaking the town. If someone wants to open the scenario, extract the map in it, then edit the terrain map to have the missing buildings and pond then send it to me so I can update the scenarios, well, knock yourself out.

The way I see it though, there are no more rocks and the village is a little different now, an acceptable difference.

• Members

...or change the group policy for the map folder and its children by giving normal users write access (as I would do it). A bit more complicated, but offers a slight (theoretical) advantage in system security.

"Run as admin" certainly is the more convenient solution ... it's just not mandatory.