Top Tank Platoon 2011 (discussion thread)

Volcano

• Moderators

Hello all,

Now that I have some free time coming up after the patch releases "soon", I was able to put together Top Tank Platoon 2011 which, if everything goes to plan, is scheduled to begin on 6th April (a month from now) --provided that we have at least two teams that want to participate of course. The sign up deadline is April 1st, so that I have time to make a list of match ups).

(If you are wondering why it is TTP 2011, instead of 2012: it was supposed to begin 6 months ago in 2011, as a continuation of the tournament that began at the end of 2010.)

!!!With some exceptions, EVERYONE is invited to participate, all time zones, communities, nationalities and ability levels are welcome!!! SB.com, SB.eu, SimHQ, all VUs!!!

The basic premise of the tournament is this:

A friendly competition within the community to see who can be the best tank platoon and also the best individual gunner (the "top gun").
The competition is team based where four people band together as a "platoon" and participate in 4 vs. 4 head to head SHORT (~45 min or less) scenarios.
The teams that participate will be paired up, and through the process of elimination, two teams will eventually play each other for the title of "Top Tank Platoon of 2011".

Needless to say, the tournament is just for fun, and this will be the second such tournament, the first happened in 2010 which you can review here: HERE.

Interested? I hope so. What are you waiting for, all you need to do is find three other people who wish to be on the same team and contact me with the following info:

• Team/platoon name (optional)
  • Forum names/nick names/handle names of the four participants on the team (mandatory)
  • The tank type of choice that your ENTIRE platoon will use for the duration of the tournament (mandatory); the list of selectable tanks and the ammunition types they will have is listed HERE, make your selection from this list (this list is non negotiable, be sure to study the ammo selections!).

You can send me this information either by posting it here in this thread (which is the preferred method), or by sending me a Private Message. As teams are announced I will put them on the TTP 2011 page.

///////////////////////////////////

The full list of contest rules are HERE. It might look like a lot of text, but it is just that all facets had to be covered. At least one person on the team should familiarize themselves with the rules.

NOTE: Winner determination may change closer to the start date, because it depends on the number of teams that participate.

WHERE / WHEN?

Starting on April 6th, several official times will be available for teams to choose from. These times will be posted when the match pairings are listed. If you are in Europe, US or Australia, don't worry, the available times will vary in such a degree that there will be many options available between Friday and Saturday, and if none of those times suit you, then you can always coordinate your own time to meet from week to week (there will be six days or so between matches to coordinate). More information about exact time slots will be made available as we get closer to April 6th.

Edited by Volcano

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Volcano

First of all. Will observers be allowed.

Secondly in regards to the CR2 ammo load out. You have included the hesh round.

Would i be right in thinking that the Issues relating to the round. Have been addressed in the up Coming Patch. { It sounds like its going to be a lot of fun}

• Moderators

Hello Marko,

As for observers, well, unfortunately no observers are allowed at the current time because the observer position at the moment has the ability to actually jump into the vehicle and gun if someone wanted. This provides too much of a headache if we get someone in there who does not want to behave as they could potentially destroy the match. Hopefully we can address this in the future and make it so that the observer that can jump in any position and even look in GPS, but not control anything.

As for the Challengers HESH round, actually the problem with the round is not a bug but rather a necessary simplification for the current time. This is mentioned somewhere else in greater detail, but the problem is due to parallax with the TOGS and LRF. The simplification is that the FCS currently lacks an aided lay ability where the gunner puts the TOGS sight on the point of impact, then presses the button and the FCS compensates for the next shot -- or something to that effect (my interpretation of it anyway). This will not be addressed in the coming patch, however, now that we know what the issue is it simply means that you should avoid using HESH on targets beyond 1200 meters or so in TOGS, and instead use it in day sight for that round only. With daysight it will hit, providing for the natural difficulties involved in using the high trajectory HESH round of course.

In any case, I did not want to remove the HESH from the TTP because it is very powerful and will come in handy if the target can be hit of course. ;)

• Moderators

Teams are supposed to be 4 people, no more, no less, and there are four tanks in the platoon. Whether or not people want to jump around from tank to tank during the mission and multicrew is up to them, certainly if half the tanks are lost then the other two guys could be gunners on the remaining two if the tank commander allows it. But the short answer is, one tank per person.

• Moderators
Any chance we will see something like an official virtual CAT competition in the fufture. That idea has been a wet SBP dream for some time.

Sure, we would see something like that if you create/organize an event like that. ;)

These campaigns and tournaments are really just up to the person that wants to create and run them out of their own kindness. I thought Top Tank Platoon was fun the first time so I am doing it again, and I have a campaign idea that I would like to get around to doing at some point. Tacbat has Variable, Tarball made Red Leopard, and the Spanish run a tournament from time to time etc. Nothing is stopping anyone from making their own tournament.

Count me in as available for this kik ass tourney. Last time it was held I had to ditch due to unfavorable father type personal issues but this time around I'm making iron allowances.

All I ask is the opportunity to take a shot at and engage the local pantheon of establishment Deity's.

• Moderators
Count me in as available for this kik ass tourney. Last time it was held I had to ditch due to unfavorable father type personal issues but this time around I'm making iron allowances.

OK, yes, good idea: if anyone is free to be recruited then please post here. Maybe someone can pickup the lead and gather people together as the weeks go by. :)

• Moderators

Everyone please note that the T-72M1's ammo selection changed slightly to M711 to help balance it a bit with the other tanks in the list (not that anyone will actually choose it). IRL T-72s would be at a 3:1 advantage and since that is not allowed in the tournament, at least the ammo selection will be very favorable. ;)

Everyone please note that the T-72M1's ammo selection changed slightly to M711 to help balance it a bit with the other tanks in the list (not that anyone will actually choose it). IRL T-72s would be at a 3:1 advantage and since that is not allowed in the tournament, at least the ammo selection will be very favorable. ;)

What will be the most level round for the rest? DM53 is good for both 2A4 and HA. What gets used by the Challenger, strv122 and Leopardo? Challenger has the weakest KE round and the Leopardo has the strongest.

• Moderators
What will be the most level round for the rest? DM53 is good for both 2A4 and HA. What gets used by the Challenger, strv122 and Leopardo? Challenger has the weakest KE round and the Leopardo has the strongest.

The rounds and tank selections to choose from are already made, the selections to choose from are HERE. The first tournament had all the modern tanks available, but I am changing it up here to keep things fresh. The rounds and tank selections were made based ROUGHLY on an era (mid 1980s for the tanks), and then the round types were made as a balancing force. The general rule of thumb is: if a tank has a very high level or armor then it has a weaker round.

Those choices are the only ones you can choose from; if you put together a team you have to pick the tank choice out of that list. A lot of thought has gone into that list to attempt to provide a pro/con relationship with each tank selection to avoid a "perfect choice" as much as is possible, so except for some possibly minor adjustments before it starts, that is essentially the list set in stone. So you have to choose: do you want protection (Challenger) over power (T-72), or do you want a more balanced choice of vehicle (M1, Leo2A4)?

Sure, we would see something like that if you create/organize an event like that. ;)

These campaigns and tournaments are really just up to the person that wants to create and run them out of their own kindness. I thought Top Tank Platoon was fun the first time so I am doing it again, and I have a campaign idea that I would like to get around to doing at some point. Tacbat has Variable, Tarball made Red Leopard, and the Spanish run a tournament from time to time etc. Nothing is stopping anyone from making their own tournament.

Yeah i tried to revive the Virtual CAT competition a while ago because it seemed there was one in the past but there was no joy. Someone also promissed me scoring tables from the virtual CAT competition but i never got them . I guess if i want one i must create one from scratch. But i have been experiementing with eisenshweins bergen map so there is hope.

• Moderators

BTW, I forgot to mention:

At least one team has emailed me that they aren't sure what tank they will take. Keep in mind that even if you sign up, you can still change your tank type and team name up until the sign up deadline (APR 1st). So, just keep in mind that neither is set in stone until after that date, in other words, you don't have to put too much thought into either selection if you just want to sign up and figure that out later. ;)

• Moderators

Announcing the second team:

"Team Heidegeist" consisting of...

Duke(911)

RommelJunior(911)

Gladiator(911)

Ricopico(911)

They will be using the Leopard2A4. Welcome, and good luck!

////////////////////

A reminder to all: only two weeks remaining to sign up. Step up your recruitment if you plan on participating. ;)