"Supress"

Ben_C

Hi All

I'm trying to understand the uses of the fire control 'supress' within SB PE. I know what supress means in the real world, but I can't see how it is any use within SB PE over, say, 'engage'.

I've been doing a bit of testing with some red infantry as the enemy located both outside and inside buildings. I split my platoon of APC's (Pizarro) and send two off to the flank to act as fire support with the 'supress' command. They will happily brass up any troops outside but happily ignore troops in buildings.

My expirements with my dismounts give the same results. I can use the context menu in game (the white arrow) and 'supress here' for them to fire at a patch of ground/building but given 'supress' from the map using a BP they will sit and look at the building held by the red troops. I'd have thought a LAW through the wall would be on order.

The method I was expecting/hoping to work was that the dismounts would fire on the house occupied by red which provides the target indication for me to assist with some 30mm instead of turning every potential enemy location to rubble.

I realise this is an armoured simulation but is there any functionality using 'supress' and the use of dismounts?

Hi All

I'm trying to understand the uses of the fire control 'supress' within SB PE. I know what supress means in the real world, but I can't see how it is any use within SB PE over, say, 'engage'.

Very good questions Ben. I will follow this thread with interest.

But there's one question I'm sure you can answer for me right now. When I'm in a tank, identify a building from which small arms fire is coming, and pump enough HEAT or HESH rounds into it to set it ablaze, the infantry seems unharmed. And more often than not a RPG round comes whistling straight back at me. Am I doing someting wrong?

The Wiki does give a bit of an explanation on the various "tactics".

Yes, I know what RTFM means, and as an ex-aviator I'm used to doing that. But the SB Wiki is far from encyclopediac. 'A bit of an explanation' is about right. And some of us noobs will not understand it at first reading. Hence the questions.

Thanks for the link. However, if you type 'suppress' into the wiki search box it produces a nil result, hence the question.

So it does have an affect, thats good to know. With that in mind I'll do some more directed play testing to see how much it does FIX the enemy.

Cheers all.

• Moderators
Thanks for the link. However, if you type 'suppress' into the wiki search box it produces a nil result, hence the question.

So it does have an affect, thats good to know. With that in mind I'll do some more directed play testing to see how much it does FIX the enemy.

Cheers all.

Make sure when you type something in the wiki search you actually left click on the Search button. If you just press enter instead then it will default as "Go" which is not very helpful, as it will try to take you to a wiki page of the text string you just entered, which will almost always be nonexistent.

Well at the risk of being a pedant, there's "RTFM" and "RTFW". ;)

I find that often the Wiki expands on stuff that doesn't receive in depth coverage in the Manual. :)

Yes Mark, but by mentioning the Wiki by name in my post I would have thought it obvious that that's what I was referring to. I must follow your lead and become more ped... err precise. :)

Question (just a detail):

Wasn't "suppress" called "shoot here" before ?

(not in map view, but e.g. in observer view: click on the vehicle icon to give a "assault", "suppress" etc command ...

see: SBProPE_2.538_Release_Notes_(updated) p.5:

talks about: "shoot here / suppress"

THX, K

Well from my experience.

In SB: Troops keep thier swedes down when being shot at.

(In the open anyway)

If you see one pop up with his RPG blast a few coax rounds in his general direction and you can see the little bugger go "F**K!" and he promptly hits the deck. :)

Under Engage ROE units will blast anything they can "PID"

(This one is better for overwatch as they will watch a large area.)

Suppress ROE means Brass up the general area without waiting for "PID"

However units on suppression will only cover a very small area in front of them (you need to be very precise in what you want covered.)

As far as I'm concerned 'brass up' is an effective fire control order.

As for suppress in SB I've played around a bit and found that with a troop of Pizarros enaging from the flank to an enemy position (BTRs & troops in open) that if they have the suppress command they are hesitant about firing. It seems if they can see a 'legit' target they want to engage that rather suppress an area.

In that example the 2 Piz that were to suppress the troops in the open didn't, which allowed a goober with an RPG to cause problems for the assaulting 2 Piz's.

More testing this week I feel.

WARNING: You will need common sense before editing this (Pstrings) file. :)

Tip: Using the search feature of text editors, there is 2000 odd lines in there :eek2:

Is that 'common' as in 'universally found within a group'?

Or 'common' as in 'widely found in general'?

Or 'common' as in 'an area - usually of grass - that is collectively owned by a community for recreational purposes. Historically used by that community to graze their animals'?

Or 'common' as in 'unrefined in speech and mannerism'?

:biggrin: