Cost of ammunition

Sabot_Up

I remember our master gunner mentioning one time before TT VIII (or was it XII......) something about each round (training round mind you) costing somewhere around 900 to 1100 dollars. Don't know if that was true or not.

Being a machinist, as well as related to a machinist that actually made DU 105mm rounds, I know that service rounds would be drastically more expensive. My relative mentioned that they held tolerances on those to .0001"--on a very very long rod like that quite difficult. Not sure exactly how they do it, especially considering the different properties of the DU core and the tungsten outer shell.....

• Members

I'm sure it's less for the Abrams since

1. the Euro/Dollar exchange rate doesn't matter since they're domestically produced
  2. the US are producing main gun ammmo in much larger quantities (larger fleet, actual combat deployment == many more rounds to be consumed per tank and year than in the Bundeswehr). Therefore the per piece price should be no more than maybe twice that of training rounds which are about $1000.- (as mentioned above).
    With HEAT rounds the price difference may be higher since only the projectile mass and form must be ballistically matched (so the casing gets filled with concrete), which is probably much cheaper than the real projectile. So I'd expect a higher cost spread.
    MPATs should be another matter due to their programmable fuzes and, probably, lower production number. I'd expect them to be the most costly round per piece.
    TERM and STAFF...?
    $$$...