“Soviet Advance” T-72M1 mission

solus

Hello!

I’m glad to present my scenario – “Soviet Advance” for T-72M1, available for download here http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/24/p13_fileid/2201

The mission is pretty big – dozens of tanks from both side, and so it’s more tactics, than simulation.

In the scenario you have to break through the NATO strong line of defense, and capture the city behind it.

When I designed the mission, I made an attempt to create the scenario with several different paths of winning it. So, in the briefing you advised to choose one of the three main routes to the city.

It is my first experience in creating the scenario, so I’m open to criticism, and hope that you can offer some improvements or tell your opinion about my work.

Thank you!

Sorry, but a Soviet Doctrine Follower never will split their Battalion Sized Element in 3 directions.

What they would do is a concentrate advance with all possible units at one Point and try to push trough a weak point of BLUE Defense with a Mass of Arty.

BLUE Defense should be not that way, BLUE would defend with some Eyes at the first Line of Defence and a quick reverse Fighting, when RED Target of Attack is known they will reinforce Troops.

Then BLUE, if there is enough Power left, try to counterattack the Flanks of RED Advance.

Fiction, but that´s what I learn about Tactics so far......

Its a good mission.The one Element that i personally think is missing is some resupply and Repair vehicles.
You are right. I would add some repair units in the next version.
Sorry' date=' but a Soviet Doctrine Follower never will split their Battalion Sized Element in 3 directions.[/quote']I never suggested to split it into 3 directions. Mission gives a choice to advance in one of the 3 direction - it is a totally different thing.

I agree with you, that it would be unwise to split the forces instead of concentrating them into one weak point. Moreover, I doubt that anybody would succeed if he tries to do so.

Sorry, but a Soviet Doctrine Follower never will split their Battalion Sized Element in 3 directions.

What they would do is a concentrate advance with all possible units at one Point and try to push trough a weak point of BLUE Defense with a Mass of Arty.

BLUE Defense should be not that way, BLUE would defend with some Eyes at the first Line of Defence and a quick reverse Fighting, when RED Target of Attack is known they will reinforce Troops.

Then BLUE, if there is enough Power left, try to counterattack the Flanks of RED Advance.

Fiction, but that´s what I learn about Tactics so far......

why dont you make some sce missions?you hv a alot of mil. exp and a real world tanker.i would like too see a sce with what you just described.:)

Most of the SB 1 Sce. are lost in Time, except "Hase&Igel" and "Mittelandkanal"

"Excalibur" you can find on the CD in Contest Folder.

Some Sce. you can find in the German Download Section (aprox. 25).

Some are lost with a HDD crash 2 Years ago and the Rest is on my HDD.

The most of them need to rework for 2.640, so I wait until the new Patch is released.

Feel free to join us on 30th March, so you get the next ;-)

Oh, your Google is broken, didn´t know that.

Here you go:

http://www.steelbeasts.org/downloads.php

but you have to register first ;-)

But back to Topick and sorry for kidnapping the Threat.

- The Order is not that clear to me, you have 3 Tasks in there

1. Advance in the Central...

2. Go to West direction....

3. Try to attack the East....

- Attacking Troops need a bit more Arty (and Smoke Option) to get closer for an Attack

- Change the RPG Mix to the Standart RPG 7L

- Change to BMP, or BTR only Mech Inf Co and give them 3x3x3+1 strength

Sounds fun. Ideally, Soviet-style forces would utilize their tank forces in an exploitation role, not against a prepared position. An attack such as the one described would be initiated after weak point had been discovered (or created) by motorized rifle units. Tanks would be better used in a more fluid situation.

- The Order is not that clear to me, you have 3 Tasks in there

1. Advance in the Central...

2. Go to West direction....

3. Try to attack the East....

It's not a tasks. It is written "you have 3 options". When you are driving and see 3 road signs, do you perceive it like you have to move in all the 3 directions one by one?
- Attacking Troops need a bit more Arty (and Smoke Option) to get closer for an Attack

- Change the RPG Mix to the Standart RPG 7L

- Change to BMP, or BTR only Mech Inf Co and give them 3x3x3+1 strength

I think, I will change that in the next version.
Soviet-style forces would utilize their tank forces in an exploitation role' date=' not against a prepared position. An attack such as the one described would be initiated after weak point had been discovered (or created) by motorized rifle units. Tanks would be better used in a more fluid situation.[/quote']1) The practice is always more complicated than the theory. It's only in theory Red should do that, and Blue should do that. In the reality of battle everything could happen.

2) If you read briefing carefully, you can understand that your aim is to find optimal way of solving the problem, i.e. find a weak point.

3) Blue forces in the mission do have a mobile defense.

It's not a tasks. It is written "you have 3 options". When you are driving and see 3 road signs, do you perceive it like you have to move in all the 3 directions one by one?

I think, I will change that in the next version.

1) The practice is always more complicated than the theory. It's only in theory Red should do that, and Blue should do that. In the reality of battle everything could happen.

2) If you read briefing carefully, you can understand that your aim is to find optimal way of solving the problem, i.e. find a weak point.

3) Blue forces in the mission do have a mobile defense.

I will admit, I have not downloaded and played the scenario. I guess your description led me to believe that a large, tank-heavy force was attacking into the teeth of a prepared defense, and capturing a town behind this defense. Whether I'm Red or Blue, I'd question the logic in such an attack. But, orders are orders, right?

I will admit, I have not downloaded and played the scenario. I guess your description led me to believe that a large, tank-heavy force was attacking into the teeth of a prepared defense, and capturing a town behind this defense. Whether I'm Red or Blue, I'd question the logic in such an attack. But, orders are orders, right?

My main point is that, first of all, I tried to make an interesting scenario. I didn't want it to fit any abstract theory.

In the second place, I think that the situation, presented in the scenario, is absolutely possible and it doesn't contradict the reality of the battle.

"Large, tank-heavy force" is attacking the heavy fortified front of NATO defense, which undertake mobile defense measures. I don't see why it is not possible in the tactics theory of the 1980's.

P.S. I suppose, I should make a notice in the briefing not to spread forces in the 3 different ways, because, maybe I didn't make it clear enough.

My main point is that, first of all, I tried to make an interesting scenario. I didn't want it to fit any abstract theory.

In the second place, I think that the situation, presented in the scenario, is absolutely possible and it doesn't contradict the reality of the battle.

"Large, tank-heavy force" is attacking the heavy fortified front of NATO defense, which undertake mobile defense measures. I don't see why it is not possible in the tactics theory of the 1980's.

P.S. I suppose, I should make a notice in the briefing not to spread forces in the 3 different ways, because, maybe I didn't make it clear enough.

I agree that the scenario that you have envisioned is POSSIBLE. I just don't think it was PROBABLE. But, if the idea is to examine the difficulties of planning and executing such an attack, I guess you've cooked up a winner. Sounds like a very tough scenario. By the way, splitting up the forces three ways would violate the principle of MASS. But a supporting and main effort should be enough in this situation (the "heavily fortified mobile defense").