Hi from the UK

Tiberiusx

Hi all,

The detail within SBPE looks astounding. I have watched many multiplayer battles on YouTube and other sites and have to admit the level of realism is amazing.

I have played a number of Sims including:

Arma II

Silent hunter Series

Janes Fleet Command

Dangerous Waters

IL2 Sturmovik

Etc etc..

I have yet to come across an Armour sim that does justice to armored warfare, well that is up until now.

I am ex UK Forces, But was infantry based. I have training in anti tank warfare but have always been jealous of the tank jockeys and would like to to sample what SBPE has to offer.

I am mainly interested in multiplayer scenarios and would eventually like to join one of the multiplayer tank regiments/teams/Clans.

I have just downloaded the Demo and am currently running through the training scenarios, lots to learn hear!

I have a few questions if I may:

1. Do I need a joystick to control this software or can I get away with mouse and keyboard? (if I do need a joystick what model would you recommend?)

2. Can I join multiplayer games with the Demo software?

3. Are there any UK teams recruiting and how often do you play?

4. How long does the Demo last?

5. Is it possible to pay in installments for the full game software?

I am very much looking forward to getting to know the community and partaking in some online battles.

Regards to you all

Tiberius

Welcome Tiberiusx.

Answer to question 1. You don't need a joystick to play, you can use mouse and keyboard. I find gunning with a joystick a bit more stable a precise but that is for you to decide. If you want to use the joy as much as possible then get one with alot of buttons so you don't have to keep a hand on the keyboard to. I have an older joystick with few buttons and use joystick just for gunning and the keyboard for everything else. I don't know enough about differrent joysticks to recommend a particular brand other than I know Microsoft Joysticks are solid.

Answer to question 2. No. Everyone needs the same version to play online, 2.640 currently with a newer patch comming soon.

Answer to question 3. There is a UK unit currenlty active and they get together often. They have a SteelBeasts TS channel. Check in the multiplayer threads for specific info on that.

Answer to question 4. Not sure about the demo.

Answer to question 5. My guess would be no. I have never herd about paying in installments.

Just tell the Co of whatever battle you play in that you are new and they will probably not give you more than you can handle.

Hi all,

3. Are there any UK teams recruiting and how often do you play?

Tiberius

Hi Tiberius

You are very welcome to apply to join UK Armour. The entry requirements are not too rigorous - you just have to ask. Which you have done. :)

We are a mix of ex-service personnel and 'civilians' - plus one very fierce, serving Australian RAAC Lt Col. See post above.

At the moment we are spread between a Yahoo Group at http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/UKArmour/ and a temporary website at http://www.rapidbusinessimprovement.co.uk/uka/. We will shortly be transferring to a brand new website which is currently 'under development'. So head on over to the Yahoo group and sign up.

Our 'parades' are on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 2000A and we currently split our time between 'pure training' and 'practice battles' - which are effectively coops with AI eny. UK Armour has its own set of 'frequencies' on the SB TS server. (The IP is on here somewhere...

That said, we have just completed our first big online scenario (http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=16400) and didn't do too badly at all.

I hope you can make this Sunday evening. I look forward to meeting you.

Sorry, I had assumed from the original post ("am currently running through the training scenarios ...") that he had already arranged to "borrow" a license, hence his questions re the life of the demo.

However happy to loan one of mine - if that's the real question.

Edited by Gibsonm

Hi all

Many thanks for the welcome :)

Just to clarify, I have the latest version of the game (2,640) downloaded from the SB website. So I believe from what you guys have said that i have the current version of the software. I have no idea who the license is borrowed from but would like to find out.

I am currently playing through the tutorials trying to pick up as much Intel on controls etc as I can in order that I can at least have basic control of my vehicle,. I have a funny feeling its not something you pick up over night lol

I would very much like to take you up on the offer of joining UK Armour! I am a keen multiplayer gamer and have been looking for a decent armor sim for a quite a while now.

I will be available for the mission on Sunday and also any other training missions that come up, but please be gentle with me as i still have much to learn :)

Not used TS in a while now and need to download it. Any tips on setting it up ready for Sunday would be great fully appreciated. Also Tips on how to join the squad in a specific scenario would be handy (don't want to be late for the party)

Once again, many thanks for the welcome :)

Tiberius

Actually, you'll be wanting the 2.654 update now :)

Joining multiplayer is easy. The host will generally post the IP on Teamspeak. You connect as a client and will be in the Assembly Area. From there you can choose either Red or Blue, pick a vehicle and jump in it as Commander. You want to be Commander on whatever unit you choose because if you choose something less than that, you can't move around during the game, which you will want to do. Once everyone has hopped in somewhere, the host launches the mission and off you go. You don't want to tab away while the game is launching - that often causes problems. Other than that, it's very straightforward.

One other thing is to check the forum for the post on multiplayer setup and make sure your router port forwarding is all set up. I'd suggest getting on TS early and usually someone can launch a test host session to make sure that's all working.

Most of all - have fun!

I have no idea who the license is borrowed from but would like to find out.

Tiberius

Well who did you arrange the "demo" through (or ask about it before now)?

You can't just download the software and use it - someone had to lend you one of their licenses (and then you need to go through some steps on your machine to access it).

Well who did you arrange the "demo" through (or ask about it before now)?

You can't just download the software and use it - someone had to lend you one of their licenses (and then you need to go through some steps on your machine to access it).

Ok, I must be losing my head lol. I contacted Sean via mail as instructed by website, so i am guessing it is Sean that has loaned me the license.

Many thanks Sean for giving me the chance to try out the software :)

Hi all

I have no idea who the license is borrowed from but would like to find out.

Tiberius

That's odd, because AFAIK, to 'borrow' a licence you first have to connect to a computer which is fitted with a dongle that has a spare licence installed. Either that, or you have to have your own dongle. But I could be wrong. Can you start the game and play it without either connecting as above or having a dongle?

Hi all

Many thanks for the welcome :)

I would very much like to take you up on the offer of joining UK Armour! I am a keen multiplayer gamer and have been looking for a decent armor sim for a quite a while now.

I will be available for the mission on Sunday and also any other training missions that come up, but please be gentle with me as i still have much to learn :)

Not used TS in a while now and need to download it. Any tips on setting it up ready for Sunday would be great fully appreciated. Also Tips on how to join the squad in a specific scenario would be handy (don't want to be late for the party)

Once again, many thanks for the welcome :)Tiberius

That's great. Just Google and DL the latest version of TS, and then find the IP address of the SB server - which is on this forum somewhere. (Sorry, I don't have TS on the computer on which I'm writing this). Then pitch up at 2000 BST on Sunday and introduce yourself.

I get the impression you are keen to jump straight in to multiplayer battles, but as you probably know there are no 24/7 'open' servers for SB as there are for IL2 and CloD, for example. This Sunday we will be practicing x-country movement procedure, followed by an ambush coop involving demounted infantry heavy weapons and tanks.

Look forward to seeing you.

Actually, you'll be wanting the 2.654 update now :)

Joining multiplayer is easy. The host will generally post the IP on Teamspeak. You connect as a client and will be in the Assembly Area. From there you can choose either Red or Blue, pick a vehicle and jump in it as Commander. You want to be Commander on whatever unit you choose because if you choose something less than that, you can't move around during the game, which you will want to do. Once everyone has hopped in somewhere, the host launches the mission and off you go. You don't want to tab away while the game is launching - that often causes problems. Other than that, it's very straightforward.

One other thing is to check the forum for the post on multiplayer setup and make sure your router port forwarding is all set up. I'd suggest getting on TS early and usually someone can launch a test host session to make sure that's all working.

Most of all - have fun!

Cheers for the info :)

I am still unable to find update 2.654, could anyone please give me a direct link.

T

Ok, I must be losing my head lol. I contacted Sean via mail as instructed by website, so i am guessing it is Sean that has loaned me the license.

Many thanks Sean for giving me the chance to try out the software :)

I thought it would be Sean (as he is the first option) since I hadn't received an email. :)

So to get back to the question, you need to talk to him as to how long he is willing to lend the license to you for. :)

• Administrators

Yes, I sent you the email. It should have my name on the reply I sent. I've been telling people two weeks on the demo if they ask. Hopefully that will be enough to get some idea of what SB is like.