DarkAngel

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

Here is an OSM based map of the more westerly map as discussed in the beginning. There are 2 optional Height maps One is the standard 90m SRTM sampled at 30M. The other is a test of the SRTM 30m data sampled at 30m. This data source is pretty new (in the public domain) and I am trying some maps out with it. It seems pretty good but there is possibly a bit too much noise. Be interested to see peoples opinions on it.

4 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

Here is an OSM based map of the more westerly map as discussed in the beginning. There are 2 optional Height maps One is the standard 90m SRTM sampled at 30M. The other is a test of the SRTM 30m data sampled at 30m. This data source is pretty new (in the public domain) and I am trying some maps out with it. It seems pretty good but there is possibly a bit too much noise. Be interested to see peoples opinions on it.

Oh WOW, you finally did it, DarkAngel! These are a godsend! This location definitely allows for a deeper WP thrust (towards Frankfurt) and greater NATO defensive depth. I'll probably end up using either the 2b1 or 2b2 file. Looks great to me. I'll end up cleaning up the terrain some, to give it a more uniform look, and a lot of the buildings need to be switched (from industrial to residential, for example) and moved/swiveled in place for a more dress-right-dress appearance . Some fine-tuning of segment nodes here in there which I totally expected. The only pain in the ass work left is rendering all those agricultural fields. Everything else like major road networks, water ways, and forest growth, are miraculously already in place, making a map so much easier to work with than ever before (I wish they were all like this!).

Great work! Thank you! :D

BTW, if you are ever considering another Cold War theatre, please consider the Uijongbu, Korea map. In like two months, I've only completed less than nine grid-squares worth.

Edited by Scrapper_511

7 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

This may also be worth looking at (nothing against your work Dark :)).

We used it for Rolling Thunder '16 Mission #2.

Oh yeah, I've used Falli's Fulda maps plenty especially now that the crazy hillside roads have been fixed by 4.0. As I got more familiar with the area, I also realized how the original location was a bit too eastward (the original focus of this thread), and a NATO counter offensive/invasion campaign didn't really appeal to me. Dark's new location, shifts everything towards a classic Russian invasion and U.S. Army delaying action, which is more right up my alley. And to be honest, I have a different artistic approach to my maps which is the driving force of my editing efforts, and to produce one is a great reward in itself. But it is so time consuming and I'm prone to burning out. A map like the b21 file is a great starter template!

I must add, editing a map from a blank hgt file is like having a baby and raising it to adulthood. These new maps is like having a newborn that's ready to move out and go to college before the doctor can even spank its brand new butt! :D

10 minutes ago, Scrapper_511 said:

As I got more familiar with the area, I also realized how the original location was a bit too eastward (the original focus of this thread), and a NATO counter offensive/invasion campaign didn't really appeal to me.

OK but it seems Dark's map stops at the 35th Easting and the one I referenced uses the 32nd so the Manteuffel's one is actually 3km more Westward.

But whichever one does what you need I guess. :) (esp. if you are already halfway through editing it).

40 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

This may also be worth looking at (nothing against your work Dark :) ).

Oh this was not meant to diminish the great work that the guys have done on the "Other" fulda Gap. This was an alternative for a more westerly map.

1 hour ago, Scrapper_511 said:

Oh WOW, you finally did it, DarkAngel! These are a godsend! This location definitely allows for a deeper WP thrust (towards Frankfurt) and greater NATO defensive depth. I'll probably end up using either the 2b1 or 2b2 file. Looks great to me. I'll end up cleaning up the terrain some, to give it a more uniform look, and a lot of the buildings need to be switched (from industrial to residential, for example) and moved/swiveled in place for a more dress-right-dress appearance . Some fine-tuning of segment nodes here in there which I totally expected. The only pain in the ass work left is rendering all those agricultural fields. Everything else like major road networks, water ways, and forest growth, are miraculously already in place, making a map so much easier to work with than ever before (I wish they were all like this!).

Great work! Thank you! :D

BTW, if you are ever considering another Cold War theatre, please consider the Uijongbu, Korea map. In like two months, I've only completed less than nine grid-squares worth.

Thanks Scrapper. The problem with Suweon Osan and Uijongbu (Which is being worked on by Mogwa) is the lack of data available. You can check the available data at the open street map site:-  http://www.openstreetmap.org/

5 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

OK but it seems Dark's map stops at the 35th Easting and the one I referenced uses the 32nd so the Manteuffel's one is actually 3km more Westward.

But whichever one does what you need I guess. :) (esp. if you are already halfway through editing it).

Its probably a different Easting as origin. Refer to the second link in the original post. This is the westernmost square in the image.

7 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

The problem with Suweon Osan and Uijongbu (Which is being worked on by Mogwa) is the lack of data available. You can check the available data at the open street map site:-  http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Thanks for letting me know Mogwa's already working on it, I'll ask him how it's going. If he's far along, it's probably best I abandon my own work (*tear*) just like I will with my own Fulda map. At least I can say that I've gotten real intimate with the editor and I can still tweak any map to my liking. Thanks for the link too. Be checking it out shortly.

As for the new Fulda maps, I just noticed a large forest missing southwest of Fulda, surrounding the small town Giesel. Just a heads up.

They are different stages in the process used to create the map. The "real" map is the b2 with around 150-200 k buildings. I just include the others so people can see the process stages. Plus if someone doesn't want the buildings they can use one of the previous versions.

The stages I use are usually:-

Data Prep - Global Mapper

Basic Height map - SB Pro

Basic terrain types - SB Pro (imported shape files)

Roads, Rail and water Line features - SB Mapper Pro (Importing and joining shape files)

Walls/ fences around some terrain types - SB Mapper Pro (Not done on this map)

Buildings - SB Mapper Pro (Imported Shape files in batches of like types)

10 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

They are different stages in the process used to create the map. The "real" map is the b2 with around 150-200 k buildings. I just include the others so people can see the process stages. Plus if someone doesn't want the buildings they can use one of the previous versions.

I want to start editing a map that doesn't have buildings and I honestly cannot tell the difference between 2a1 and 2b1. I'm trying to pick between the two, but I would guess that 2b1 would be a little further along somehow.

Edited by Scrapper_511

7 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

What's wrong with the one with buildings?. Its easier to change building types and remove them than it is to add that many by hand.

Oh nothing's wrong with it. I just want to put some work into it...add my own personal touch. After all, with these new Fulda maps, I'm abandoning my own project with the original Fulda maps which have been in progress for a couple of years. It's bitter sweet, but I'll never get done if I don't just adopt these awesome new ones. As for not using the b2b file with buildings, I feel like it'll actually be easier for me to work with a blank slate (no buildings...I will keep the roads and waterways, thank you very much). We'll see how it goes. I didn't mean to imply in any way that the b2b file had no merit. I still think it's a great map and I've already used it to play some quick scenarios around Alsfeld.