New single player missions?

Itkovian

Salutations.

I haven't touched SB Pro in over a year now, probably 2 in fact (I missed at least 2 big upgrades), and I was wondering:

Have the upgrades come with new single player missions?

Sadly, I generally don't have the time to do multiplayer missions (even though they're bloody awesome), so I mostly focus on single player missions. As such I'm hopijng the new upgrades have more single player offerings.

Thank you.

Itkovian

I suspect if you haven’t touched it for a year that you might find the existing scenarios “fresh” just because you haven’t played them for a while?

Also the “downloads” section has an entire category set aside for single player missions:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/24

Surely one of the 271 missions currently there will be of interest?

Aye, I updated and installed the latest version, and noticed there were more contest entries now. Plus, turn out my old collection of single player scenarios was on my new computer already, and remained even after uninstalling the old version.

That said: is there a easy way for me to find out if a scenario is meant to be single-player compatible? Anything in particular I should look for, in the designer for example? (I ask because mission descriptions don't always mention it)

Thank you,

Itkovian

Salutations.

I haven't touched SB Pro in over a year now, probably 2 in fact (I missed at least 2 big upgrades), and I was wondering:

Have the upgrades come with new single player missions?

Sadly, I generally don't have the time to do multiplayer missions (even though they're bloody awesome), so I mostly focus on single player missions. As such I'm hopijng the new upgrades have more single player offerings.

Thank you.

Itkovian

I too recently upgraded to vs 2.654 after a 3 year (really almost a 5 year hiatus). It seems like the single player missions are pretty much the ones that came with the 1st release of SB Pro PE with just a few exceptions.

That said: the primary focus also seems to be on the European, Australian and New Zealand armed forces as there are very few scenarios built using US units. There also seems to be more of a focus on MP than SP these days.

Kind'a frustrating if like me one is more familiar with and prefers using US units but I imagine there are good reasons for the shift in focus.

The improvements made to SB Pro Pe since I left the community are myriad. Unfortunately that translates to having to relearn many of the aspects of the sim most especially the mission editor.

Lots of fun doing it so far.

I think it'd be good business for e-Sim to build accessible single-player scenarios, which leverage new features (from vehicles to the map/scenario editor). As it stands, much of the improvement seems buried in the weeds, where only the already-converted can easily appreciate it. Even then, the editors can be daunting...

I suspect most of the included scenarios could be substantially improved, since most don't seem to have been reworked since their authorship.

"Do it yourself" isn't an answer, because many people are leary of sifting through work from the wilds, and will judge the sim by the "official" scenarios. Someone investigating this sim is likely to draw conclusions based on a 2006 feature-set from present scenarios.

E-Sim deserves better. :)

• Members

There isn't enough manpower at eSim Games to spend it on scenario development, I must confess. We're pretty much maxed out with the work on improving the actual tools in the simulation, and I don't see a viable economic solution to change that if that solution involved hiring people to work on scenarios. This isn't about making a few "levels", it's about applying a certain amount of actual know-how about tactical procedures and doctrinal principles, about scripting the behavior of computer-controlled forces, and testing, testing, testing.

If you have any suggestions how we could make the scenario design contests more attractive without becoming downright ruinous for us, I'll be happy to hearing them. I'm willing to go beyond what could be justified if looked at from a strictly economical point of view, but even then my enthusiasm for the subject matter is moderated by what we can actually afford.

Maybe ESim could approach the mission designers within the community to build some?

Draft a list of mission types with a description of the requirements, and any interested designers would pick one from the list to develop. Once a scenario was deemed acceptable, they would be compensated for their efforts. This could be with a mousepad, free upgrade to the next version or whatever ESim can come up with. Maybe a "pay scale" for the different levels of complexity required for the mission.

At least there would be some control over the quality and costs of getting extra SP content added to SB while spending very few man hours to accomplish. Just an idea.

Well, I'll be happy to participate in the scenario design contests, if it will be announced. I don't think that it is necessary to provide any valuable prizes or any prizes at all. The status of the winner itself, especially if the mission would be included in the next version of the game, would be enough.

By the way, where can I look at the list of the last contests winner? Didn't find it in the thread here http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=14174&page=6

By the way, where can I look at the list of the last contests winner?

Look in the "missions>contest" folder in the offline session menu in-game.

There are quite a few good single player missions in the downloads section. Maybe the community could vote on existing missions to be added to future releases? It would certainly be faster/easier than coming up with a bunch of new missions. Or maybe a combination of the two?

There isn't enough manpower at eSim Games to spend it on scenario development, I must confess. We're pretty much maxed out with the work on improving the actual tools in the simulation, and I don't see a viable economic solution to change that if that solution involved hiring people to work on scenarios. This isn't about making a few "levels", it's about applying a certain amount of actual know-how about tactical procedures and doctrinal principles, about scripting the behavior of computer-controlled forces, and testing, testing, testing.

If you have any suggestions how we could make the scenario design contests more attractive without becoming downright ruinous for us, I'll be happy to hearing them. I'm willing to go beyond what could be justified if looked at from a strictly economical point of view, but even then my enthusiasm for the subject matter is moderated by what we can actually afford.

I think an acknowledgement for the designer in the credits in any future update. And a free Update.would be a good remuneration.

• Members

Well, all contest winners received a free-upgrade-for-life in addition to up to four digit dollars ... and one of the collectible mousepads (model #3 is coming soon). And they are in the credits, too. It's not as if these things weren't part of our deal. Still, the total number of submissions hasn't been satisfactory, I have to say. So apparently these elements aren't enough to motivate enough people to invest some time into these contests. No doubt, this is harder work than just to mail in a postcard with a simple code word. But it ought to be a lot more satisfying as well to actually win such a contest. Hard work and talent will definitely be rewarded.

Well, I will step up to the plate and put together a US based single player mission. All I ask is some simple feedback as to the missions quality or lack there of.

Right now the one of the way to measure how well you have designed a mission is by the number of downloads. Very difficult to see as a designer if your "on the right track". I am sure other designer would agree.

Another way I have found to determine quality of a mission, is to bring a single player mission to the multi player areana for play test.

I believe many missions multi and single player missions are developed almost every weekend this way. Most never make it to the downloads section though. As to why this culture exist, I'm not sure. I for one know it does exist though.

Solve that riddle and I think you will see the Downloads section explode with new missions. IMHO.

ChanceBS

Well, I will step up to the plate and put together a US based single player mission. All I ask is some simple feedback as to the missions quality or lack there of.

I am up for that Chance, in worst case scenario we can test the missions once per week on our Wednesday games, and I am more than happy to give feedback on the tested missions.

I have designed many single player missions. or should i say redesigned.

Mission made by others.by simpley changing the terrain. vehicles.time

Its a relatively simple task and can really lead to some interesting results.

I have tried a little mission scripting.But i have to say i do not find it easy.

But i have more time these days.so i will give it a go as well

^^^^^^^

This!

Unfortunately a look at the download section and the number of times scenarios are rated and commented on shows that it doesn't happen very often.

Pre 2007 the topic of rating scenarios as a means to get better ones built by the good builders came up often enough on the forum to be considered a regular topic. IIRC many said they'd start rating the scenarios they DL'd and played. Never happened. As a result I believe most scenario designer's feedback came from the number of DL's as ChanceBS stated.

Not the best feedback since the primary reason a scenario is DL'd is how it is marketed/presented in the download section. Flashy graphic, coupled with an exciting scenario description equaled DL.

A scenario designer's rep shouldn't be based on his marketing abilities but his design skills.