Should I comeback or not? Hummmm??

Redemption

Damm was watching a documentary about The greatest tank battle of WW2, on Discovery channel, and here I am.

Should I comeback or not? Silly question that I can't even answer by myself. The reason of this thread is maybe to get some insight from you guy's, to help me out decide if I comeback to this game or not, and invest some valuable free times of mine and your's ( teaching me hopefully ), to learn to be a proper TC.

My main concern for me not to comeback and I think it would be the only one reason, is the support that I did not received from the SB community. I don't want to be rude to anyone, and mark my words please, but this is how I felt when I was learning the ropes of TC, and I did not sense that I fit in. I felt really left out to myself, or I felt I was annoying to most of you, and also that I was more of a disturbance then a future asset to you people, has a TC. Sometimes there were plenty of players online, but they did not seem to bother much about me and other noobs.

You know I play other sims and games online and I have to say most community that I am involved with, are very helpfull and open minded with noobs like me.

But sincerely I wasn't impress by the helping mode with this community. Of course some of you were more incline to help a noob, then some other individual. It seem also that your comunity is very bonded together wich is good but when it comes again to noobs, you're not that open minded, well this is my opinion or I should say the way I felt been part for a short time of the SB community.

Now for me it's a matter of serious thinking, and maybe reading some of you, before I get back to this sim or not.

Sincerely,

Thank you! :)

I have to disagree with you.The support on this site is excellent.

Members have spent many hours writing articles for the Wiki pages.

And the tech support is second to none.

But if you do decide to come back i recommend you join a virtual unit.

Theres a hell of a lot to learn. But its ultimately satisfying when you

Do start to get to grips with the game.

Having flown over your statistics and past threads and postings I fail to see that support let you down and people did not answer your questions last year.

You can at any time use your old copy, install it, and start playing away, offline. Get some training first, then check in for online if that is what attracts you. I myself play SBP since many years offline exclusively, so that definitely is a way to go.

If you are interested in restarting, do it. If you are not interested, don't. Where is the problem?

This is one of the most supportive communities that I've ever seen for a game. I once had a total stranger from these parts offer to send me his backup router when I was having issues with mine.

The game is a different story. While I have my copy of SB currently shelved, I eagerly await future developments of the game, and still lurk these parts.

• Administrators

I'm not sure what it is that you expect to get that will properly complete your experience. I think you have been on here under a few different names and every time you post something similar. Could it be that your experience is negative due to your perception rather than the reality? Everyone is welcome here! As far as teamspeak goes, if people are in a game or busy with development work, I would not expect folks to greet everyone that passes through. If that irritates you, then I would suggest you lower your expectations some.

Maybe something has been misinterpreted about this community when you put it the context of other communities you have been around. This place is probably different from them, not necessarily in a bad way, just different.

You know I play other sims and games online and I have to say most community that I am involved with, are very helpfull and open minded with noobs like me.

I've been playing SB and frequenting the forum for almost 10 years now and can honestly say that this is one of the best online communities I've ever seen.

Especially if you take into account that this is a mixed community, both military and civilian come here.

Sure, on occasions there a frictions, but I've never seen a 'noob' being burned just for being a 'noob'. Bitching about your pet peeve (e.g. roadwheels or Gavin) every second post you make might invoke some harsh reactions, but that's about it.

I don't play multiplayer, but from what I get from the forum the attitude towards new players is very forgiving.

And even if you can't get along with the people on the forum, what's stoping you from enjoining the best tank simulator on the market?

Just buy it, enjoy it and do your own thing.

- My two cents

- Rump

People are going to give you advise on military art and science, help you get online, set up TS, provide ideas on how to use the vehicles, etc. In other words it is generally a helpful community towards new guys. I have seen this many times and I haven't seen anything other than that in the forum posts that you were involved in that I have viewed.

What more do you expect?

• Moderators

Well, I don't know the whole story but spit balling here:

No one wants to hold someone's hand too much, but generally speaking everyone in the community doesn't mind helping a new guy learn the ropes. However, it is always better to learn the basic fundamentals on how to operate a vehicle in SB on your own, and then discuss the finer details with others; everyone loves to discuss the tactical details as this is where the true beauty of the game is. Perhaps you felt you were getting on people's nerves because you were frequently asking questions that can be answered in the tutorials, manual, or SBwiki? (I don't know)

But besides that, the question is what do you expect to get out of the community? I think we have seen that some people in the community take things far too seriously. We are all supposed to be adults that show up and play a GAME together. Outside of that, I really don't get what more some expect above and beyond that point. Casual acquaintance friends that share one single interest? OK. But once you start making the community more than it is, you end up with with all sorts of hard feelings out of manufactured drama; and there are those in the community that seem to use the community itself as a source of much needed drama in their life - like a soap opera. Steer clear of those people and you should be fine.

So really, only you can answer whether you should come back or not. People come and go on TS, play games and are usually busy doing their own thing. Sometimes people have bad days as Gibson said, sometimes people are easily irritated, and sometimes not. I think you will find that to be true anywhere you go where you hang out with the same people week in week out (everyone has arguments with family for example, usually the more mature parties involved get over it).

• Members

Anyone with a serious interest in contemporary armor is interested. You'll have to invest time and brains into learning at least the fundamentals, no doubt about it. Much of that can be accomplished by studying all the tutorials of at least one or two vehicles (ideally one IFV and one MBT to give you some flexibility in multiplayer events).

The rest will come through three things:

Practice, practice, and more practice.

However, if the practice isn't fun to you your interests may lay elsewhere. Only you can decide.

People are going to give you advise on military art and science, help you get online, set up TS, provide ideas on how to use the vehicles, etc. In other words it is generally a helpful community towards new guys.

As a noob myself (Jan this year) I thoroughly endorse the above. I have had all my questions on this forum answered quite satisfactorily, and have been helped out on a one-to-one basis on Teamspeak by various people on several occasions.

An engineer, looking for the reason for repeated failures will try to find a common denominator present in all instances - and fix that first.

Wish I could take credit, but I got it from someone else here. (So no, I don't mind.) :biggrin:

Seriously though, my offer of assistance is sincere. If there is anyone out there who is considering purchasing SB Pro PE and wants a "grand tour" or if you've already bought it or downloaded the demo and you're either totally lost or just have a few questions, I would be more than happy to help.

I can walk you through just about any vehicle/situation in the sim. What I can't help with is military procedure. (I'm a civilian.) Just post here, send me a PM or look for me on Teamspeak. (I'm usually only on TS on Fri. night.)

I'm on the East coast of the U.S. but I work nights so I'm available most days. Cheers, and relax...after all as V said: it is a game. :)

Happy to cover the time zones when SeanPatrick is asleep or at work. :)

As one of the email addresses offered for the demo, that's a standing offer that the people who borrow from me receive anyway.

These might also be useful:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=16426

I think people will help you more if it looks like you have made an attempt yourself already (i.e. read the manual, run the tutorials, looked here, etc. and then ask).

I suspect people are less accommodating if you want all the work done for you and just be delivered the solution on a platter.

Also happy to dispense cans of "harden the F up!" or "concrete pills" if people want them too. :)

I remember back in june of 2001 when I played my first mp game without getting familir with the tutorials first. I had played other lesser tank sims online before SB and thought I was the Man. I did everything wrong with my units, went against my co's plans, and baisicly aided the enemy more than my side.

So I stopped mp and played about 3 months of single player and tutorials and got my $hit together with the basics. Upon returning I made sure to let whoever the Co was know of my noobness and what I was comfortable with. After that I was not given more than I could handle in mp sessions.

Of course back then there was alot less to learn with only 2 playable vehicles. Just learn how to operate one vehicles systems at a time. Hang around for the AAR and ask questions about what you did and what could have done better. Your knowledge and confidence will grow and before you know it you will be calling the shots.

I know this formula works. However in 10.5 years I have never seen complaining improve anyones ability at SB.

People are going to give you advise on military art and science, ...

And you can have sensable arguments in this community, that may get you further in the virtual-tanking skills.

I for one would argue with tankhunter!

Art/science...bollox, its a craft, no more no less ;-)