Leopard 1 Sound Mod

Eisenschwein

Perfectly normal (for us atleast) to do that, my PBV302 had a less charming name of "mean green frog machine" :biggrin:

Haha epic name

That's funny, my cat's name is Sally. :)

Awww, She is like my bella :D So cute ^_^

All my vehicles have names, especially in ARMA. Heck even my tanks for the WWI mod all have names :biggrin:

But I could see me getting and using this sound mod for the 1A5's :)

It´s still WIP, but nearly done.

I like Sally and I like Cats. I have got one with me, doing Tank shooting Practice in Bergen, a long time ago.

I find him in our Garrison, nearly famishes and more dead than alive.

His Name was FRITZ and it was a real TANK CAT, sitting aside of me on the Turret, while marching around in Bergen, hunting Shepherds ( yes he did), Squirrels and anything coming around.

My Gunner takes him to his home and I think he have a good Cats live.

Sadly he´s died after 15 Years......

Back to Toppick ...

It´s nearly done, just have to sample a little bit the Startup und Shutdown Sequences.

Now my Baby sounds a little bit more like the real Thing !

Oh, German Tankers name their Tanks to.

From 1985 - 1989 my Tank have the Names of my Girlfriends (Claudia, Nicole, Karola, Andrea, Petra, Franzisca, Ines, Agnes, Manuela, Steffanie, Ute, Maria)

;-=

Then in 1989 we are ordered to name our Tanks with the Name of the Commander, so my Cats are named KÖPPEN.

Until 1996 my Tanks are named VIVIEN, that´s my daughter.

So look at your Leo 1 Books and I´m shure you will find one of my Tanks ;-)

It´s still WIP, but nearly done.

I like Sally and I like Cats. I have got one with me, doing Tank shooting Practice in Bergen, a long time ago.

I find him in our Garrison, nearly famishes and more dead than alive.

His Name was FRITZ and it was a real TANK CAT, sitting aside of me on the Turret, while marching around in Bergen, hunting Shepherds ( yes he did), Squirrels and anything coming around.

My Gunner takes him to his home and I think he have a good Cats live.

Sadly he´s died after 15 Years......

Back to Toppick ...

It´s nearly done, just have to sample a little bit the Startup und Shutdown Sequences.

Now my Baby sounds a little bit more like the real Thing !

Very nice!

Looking forward to use it :)

Oh, German Tankers name their Tanks to.

From 1985 - 1989 my Tank have the Names of my Girlfriends (Claudia, Nicole, Karola, Andrea, Petra, Franzisca, Ines, Agnes, Manuela, Steffanie, Ute, Maria)

;-=

Then in 1989 we are ordered to name our Tanks with the Name of the Commander, so my Cats are named KÖPPEN.

Until 1996 my Tanks are named VIVIEN, that´s my daughter.

So look at your Leo 1 Books and I´m shure you will find one of my Tanks ;-)

12 Girlfriends in 4 years??!

You Player!

I doff my cap, sir! :)

I named my B Squadron HQ - Befuddled, Bewildered and Bemused (my wagon). :)

Was that cos they were always getting lost? :)

Oi! Eisen - great sound mod, I really like it!

Just two things:

- on the external rumble sound the volume should be adjusted down by ~70%, so that it would be 30-40% of the original, otherwhise it's going to be too loud (its around 1.0 dB a the moment, I think for external rumble it should be around 0.3-0.4 dB) - Volcano can you tell us the suggested volume levels maybe?

- rumble sound is not looping currectly (popping when it loops)

I could give you a hand if you want in fixing those. I think this is a really great sound mod.

Sure, feel free to do what you can.

My Sound System is as lousy as it was on the Leopard (cheat Headset, cheap Soundcard...)

But don´t forget this Baby is loud, very loud. I don´t know any Diesel Engine Tank with that Sound..... and I know a lot..

If you need any references (youtube Vdeos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=30guIVxTrtM

• Members

Still, we are overall attempting to reduce the volume of engines and vehicle rumble effects to preserve some dynamic range for the really loud things, like big guns going off.

I'm mentioning this because it is a trend that we'll follow in sound design for the next months (if not years), so you sound modders may want to know about it.

• Moderators

Yes indeed. The idea here is that your turn up the volume on your system, which will make the droning engine louder. The gun sounds then become close to a realistic volume level because they are not washed out by everything else.

I have to say this again and again, the problem with "quiet engines" and etc is that users have their volume level turned down so low that the engine sounds very quiet. If you just simply raise the volume of the engine sound itself, then you lose the dynamic range of all the sounds in general, and therefore the detail of the sounds are lost. Sound mods have to be made with special care otherwise they will be inappropriate to the rest of the sound scene. It is really more complicated than some think -- you cannot just make everything LOUD. Well, I suppose you can, but the above is a more advanced level of thinking about sound design.

Currently though, the rule o' thumb for tank engine/movement sounds are the following (normalize peak to X dB):

Engine idle, -12 dB

Movement [aka. "Rumble"], -6 dB

Startup, -24 dB

Shutdown, -24 dB

Brake, -12 dB

...naturally, you have to use your ear though because some sounds will have higher peaks than others, but this will get you close to the current level. Generally speaking NOTHING should be higher than -6 dB, unless you are talking about first person sounds where only one instance of it can be heard.

Hope that helps...

Nice work BTW. :)

If you just simply raise the volume of the engine sound itself, then you lose the dynamic range of all the sounds in general, and therefore the detail of the sounds are lost. Sound mods have to be made with special care otherwise they will be inappropriate to the rest of the sound scene. It is really more complicated than some think -- you cannot just make everything LOUD. Well, I suppose you can, but the above is a more advanced level of thinking about sound design.

Some sims have volume sliders for different type of sound - one of which is invariably 'engine'. Would that be possible, or too big an ask?

• Members

It's not "too big an ask". It can't be done however with everything else remaining the same. What we need to do is to either develop, or to license a sound engine. In fact, the ground work for that to happen is already scheduled for this summer/autumn. If things go according to plan, this will allow us to group sounds into different categories, e.g. "engine sound", "crew voices", "music" (if there was some), "bang and boom", etc. for which you could then have separate sliders. So what we need to do is to develop (or integrate) a sound engine first, then to put the different sounds into supported categories, remix the sounds of the same category to have roughly the same volume, and finally to add user interface elements to control this stuff - be it just in the Options screen, or even at runtime.

So you see that several steps are necessary. Volcano's move to limit the volume of certain sound categories can be seen as a preparatory step so to reduce the time needed for step three in the process.

• 2 weeks later...