Leopard 1A5 Tutorial Help

Tracer1

Hi Guys,

I am new to SB, been playing now for about a week. I came over from playing a mass multiplayer online tank game that has no resemblance of realism and find this sim a refreshing change. On their forum a person said they play Steel Beasts so I checked it out, sent an email in and within a couple of hours Sean had me up and running. I loved it so much I purchased a license last Wed night. I hope some time in the future when I can get some more experience I can join in on some online play.

I started the tutorials with the Leopard 1A5. Everything was great till the TC tutorials. So I switched over and learned the M1A1 and the M2A2. Now I'm back trying to learn the Leopard but am stuck on tutorial 17 Leo 1A5 TC B in particular I am unable to select the override. It gives the button to select for a joystick but none for the keyboard.

Can someone with more Leo time help me out? Or is there a bug in the Leopards in general? If so, how do you play them if you can't override the gunner? If its a tutorial issue, are there any current ones?

Thanks for any help, enjoying the ride so far.

Brian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can't rule out an issue with the tutorial. If you don't mind, have a look at the hotkeys described in the briefing text, and compare them with the Controls dialog box settings. There may have been (recent) changes that do not reflect in the (older) tutorial texts.

Hi Ssnake,

I just opened up the briefing text for Gunners Primary Sight Extension and it indicates.

To fire: Joystick #1, or spacebar

To lase: Joystick #2, or Ctrl

Override: Joystick #3

Dynamic Lead: "P" Key

The keys all work except for the Override.

I just tried (Sunday Morning) to map a key to the TC palm switch(Leo1) and it worked. I mapped the shift + P key. LOL Itried late last night before bed and I selected the Palm Switch (Leopard Gunner). Can't believe I did that last night, I shouldn't be driving tanks so late at night while having a few beers :).

So I'm guessing the briefing text is right but should be changed as well as the default setting for that key on the tank as there is non?

Thanks for your help. I'll proceed with the tutorial and post if any other issues surface.

Brian

Crap ok its not working. The light KH/P and KH/HZF do light up appropriately but as soon as I let go of the key they go out. I tried remapping to the J key and using the shift key as in the M1A1 but no joy. I assume this should be a toggle in order to let you then take over the sight?

Not sure what to try next?

Thanks

Brian

Hold the Trigger (you choose to have control the Turret with TRP) while push the Space Bar for give the TG "fire "this Target".

Control Lamp KH-P must be lightened while doing this !!

Then get your Finger OFF the Trigger, so TG have the Turret Control back.

Overriding the TG with the TRP is a little different to modern PERI´s ;-=

Hope it works.......

Hope I can help. I'm new and old to SB.

OOPS, I just checked and the Leo 1 series does not work the way I've described below. The Leo 2 series does seem to work as I described.

I jumped the gun a bit. Sorry for any confusion. I'm going to delete the post to avoid confusing anyone.

My TC controls relative to slaving the gun to the Peri seem to be working ... for the Leo 2 series mbts. I'll check out the Leo 1.

Right now I'm using a mouse and keyboard.

Hope that helps.

I just tried to TC in a Leo 1A5 and it is very difficult. I can't figure it out either.

I did not realize the 1 series and 2 series were that different. Sorry for the misinformation.

I hope someone can shed some light on how that one works.

• Members

Working from memory, these are some of the things to keep in mind:

1) The TRP is designed to be used while stationary.

2) You have to activate some sort of a "turret trap" before you override, if the TRP is on target. You can then rotate the turret until it alingns with the TRP, at which point it will lock in place. you then let go of the override, and the gunner can shoot.

Thanks for the replies, I am currently using the mouse and keyboard so don't have a joystick. In the process of buying one as I want to get back into Falcon 4 as well. My old gear no longer connects to my newer computer.

So in the Leopard 1 you cannot take control of the turret like you can say the M1A1, all you can do is follow along with the gunner and either fire yourself or give him the order to fire? I can do that much at least. And there is no override?

What does TRP mean?

Sorry for the basic questions but my military experience has been as Grizzly driver, all that mounted was the .50 cal and GPMG in the turret, then I spent 8 years in the air force.

Thanks again guys

Brian

PS: I posted this after you wrote Ssnake. My problem is that when I do select the override key in my case J it does nothing other than above. I am unable to move the turret. All I can do is release it and watch the gunner move the turret. Sorry to be a pain but all my info comes from the tutorial as I have no real world frame of reference, could someone give me a step by step process using the keyboard and mouse as an example? Or will the tutorial be updated in the near future, if so I'll just wait.

You first have to set 2 Buttons to your Hot Keys List

(sorry only in german)

- Kdt Handballenschalter

- Pano Kopplung Kdt Leopard 1

Ssnake can you translate ?

First push "Pano Kopplung"

Then push "Hnadballenschalter" AND hold "Handballenschalter" to override, that´s it.

So far I can select the Ubersteurung so that it turn on (RED) and off using the * key on the keypad or clicking on the lower right lamp, in my mapping its called Toggle pano select (Leo1 TC). Now that I mapped key J to TC Palm switch (Leo1) I can illuminate both KH P and KH HZF but cannot move the turret or reticle. But I do see the display jiggle slightly each time I release the J key. Could this be a bug in the sim?

I don't know which two keys you are talking about Eisenschwein, I wish I spoke more German. Do those keys map to the ones listed in SB Ssnake?

And thanks Hank, I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this, I was starting to wonder. I finished the Leopard 2A5 tutorial as well with no problems. Would still like to finish the Leopard 1 if possible.

Thanks

Brian

Ok, It's a bug!

the mouse control does not working. Only the joystick works. Even if you left click in the F2 view (gunner GPSE), the cursor of the mouse stay there, the mouse is not used to control the turret. (If you are using a joystick, it works fine.)

Problem was already there with 2.640 : http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?p=206114#post206114

I managed through a Leo 1A5 sce last night. I noticed in the control keys there was no key assigned to Leo1 palm so I mapped it to the Ctrl key. I have an almost stock control setup (reminder to me, when I get home from work to export that stock setting before I mess it up too much).

I was able to hold down the Ctrl key and do some scanning with it held down and use the up and down keys to lock and unlock the turret slew. But not nearly as good as the Leo2s.

Hope it gets fixed. Is it possible to fix it with controls tweeks? Something the user can just change?

thanks to all ... have a nice Monday

So you have set a Key for the TC (that´s what I´m trying to say above , sorry for my bad english)

Now comes a little Bit of the Leo 1 knowledge. If the TC control is switched, he is under control of the complete Turret ! If you want to override the Gunner you have to swing the Turret to your Optics or the Target you want to fight at.

So real Leo 1 TC never use the TRP to override, they always look out the Hatch.

Try to look out the Hatch and to override the Gunner. You have to get a feeling how far you have to go with the Crosshairs and how fast the movement will be.

Then loose CTRL and push "T". That work perfectly and is much faster as in a Leo 2.

In RL we allways have a Tape on the EMES Housing as a helping Line like this

bild103g.jpg

I've discovered the following interesting behavior as well. I don't think this was mentioned before:

If you press the key which you have mapped to the TC override and then press F2 (either in F1 or F2 view), the mouse will work. However, once this is done, the mouse control of the F1 view is disabled until you leave (and re-enter) the TC position.

Hey slow down my Friend ;-=

Thats right, but only as long as you hold your "override Knop" for the EMES and TIS.

On the real Thing it was possible to have two different Sights for Gunner and TC in TIS.

For Example TC wide View and Gunner Crosshairs, so the TC can overwatch and override and the Gunner can fire immediately.

Haven´t figured out that so far.

Pushing F2 or another Button for that just change the "Betriebsart", the way Computer get´s the Signals from. In German Leo 1 A5 we haven´t dynamic Lead for the TC, the Dänes have.

I have the Override and the Slave/Unslave TRP Buttons on my 6 Button Mouse and the "F2" (what was called "KHHZF" TC leads Turret with Main Optics) on G1 on the G15 Keyboard.

That work perfekt, quick (with AI- and human Gunner) and precise as in RL.

Have you ever try to use the TRP (what means "Turret Roundview Pankrad) as a Range Finder ?

No? Next Step ! ;-=

Thanks for all the help in this guys. And Sean I was able to make the mouse work by pressing my J key + F2 as you indicated but its very clunky. I tried to map that combination but am only able to map a single key. ANd great info on the Leopard 1 Eisenschwein, its good to have people with first hand knowledge of the real thing.

I do know that this was brought up earlier in another thread but no one mentioned whether the bug / ticket was submitted or accepted by the developers. And being so new I don't know what the process is. How do I submit a ticket on this issue? Do I have to email one of the admins?

Thanks all, its great this board is so active.

Brian

Next one is Range Finding with the TRP.

When you go to F3 you see a yellow Frame esim call PANO Box (in German it was Schätzrahmen so it would be in English "Guess Frame" ;-= ).

You can change the Size of this frame with CTRL + Page up/down and Alt + Page up/down (That´s what I have, take a look at your shortcut List for the Pano Box what it is for your Machine...).

If you do so, you will see the high and wide in Meters at a Range of 600 Meters.

To check what you put in there are two small Displays left and right to the Ocular when are in F1 View.

How to find the (nearly) Range.

Set your Panobox to a known Size of a Tank (Example: T55 is 3,27 m wide and 2,30 m high)

Now there are two different Technics to find the Range and shoot at him:

- Use "N" to zoom in or out until the Frame fits the Tank (Range is shown on the right side)

- Or put in a Range before Battle (1.200 ~ 1.500 Meters), compare Size of Tank and Size of Frame and if the Tank is smaller than the Frame aim high, if it´s bigger aim low (That´s much more faster and if you shoot with the TRP ALLWAYS use APDS/KE AMMO)

If the Target is extremely smaller than you Frame use Technic one!!

You never will see a complete Tank on Battle Field, so it is enough to use what you see, mostly the wide of the Hull.

If you only see the Turret, use your Imagination how wide the Hull must be.

In RL we do not use the TRP much often. It is very good to find Hull Down Positions (we call that Eye, TRP, TZF when we have to go to a Hill) and its very good Tool to guide the Arty if you don´t want to use Laser (Laserwarner ahead) and to observe our Officers ;-= or place your Headset there.....

This little Thingy is nearly perfect simulated, nearly. In RL you can´t use the TRP while moving, because it swings around when you are in STAB Mode, it allways follow the Main Gun.

I hope that works propper and we gain some more Friends for my ol´Lady ;-=

Last 3 Shoots fired on a Leo 1A5DK March 2004/ Oksbøl DK

3 Hits and Competition Winner ;-=

But..... that´s 8 Years ago now did I´m getting old ??

...and its very good Tool to guide the Arty if you don´t want to use Laser (Laserwarner ahead)

That's interesting. Never would have thought of that.

This little Thingy is nearly perfect simulated, nearly. In RL you can´t use the TRP while moving, because it swings around when you are in STAB Mode, it allways follow the Main Gun.

Ssnake: are there any plans to change the behavior in SB to match this? I like being able to use the Pano on the move, but I like more realism even better. :)

• Members

The sight follows the swing motion of the vehicle. With a better model of the vehicle suspension eventually the sight movement would become more realistic either. I see no reason to make it artifically worse for the time being.

I had a thought after reading another thread about having a joystick and mouse/keyboard hooked in. I have a cyborg I use for LOMAC FC2 and IL2 flight sims.

But to no avail, I tried using my joystick for TC control in the Leo 1a5 to scan and pass off targets to the gunner. I could not get it to work with any combo of keys, mouse picks and joystick buttons. .. I'll admit it may be that I don't read German very well ... a handicap of mine. ( I have thought of getting some language software to help )

I can scan around then rotate back and lock the gun to my TC reticle and force the turret to a target; but that's too slow.

Its not a big deal right now, I'm having a blast playing my first low light sce "Advance to Contact" ... a user sce.

I just thought I'd try it. As of now, I just play as gunner when I want to play a Leo 1a5 game.

thanks