Training squadron or trainers?

Hello everyone ... :)

With thanks to gibsonm, I'm newly returned to SB. I used to be involved back in 2003 or so, but real life got in the way and I also ended up in a pure Apple MacBook Pro world, which initially prevented me from using SB.

I've just re-ordered SB PRO and am waiting for it to arrive, but currently using a borrowed key to get up to speed, using my MacBook Pro running Parallels Build 7.0.150547 and it seems to be running fine with little performance hit on frame rates etc, even being an emulator. There is the odd pause, which might be background processes from the MacBook Pro.

I'd appreciate any feedback from other Mac users under a similar configuration as to best settings they've found for SB, as well as any specific add-on hardware they've used successfully. I also have a headset and can connect to TeamSpeak servers using the MacBook OSX version of TeamSpeak 3.

I'm an old tanker from the 1960's ... :eek2:

Originally qualifed on Sherman (M4A2E8) & Centurion

Group 3 Gunner (RCAC)

Group 2 Driver Mechanic Tracked (RCAC)

Group 2 Signaler (RCAC)

CC and Troop Leader Instructor

So, I'm looking for a SB training squadron, or trainer who can help shorten the learning curve for me on these modern vehicles, as well as ease me into multi-player games where I don't embarrass anyone too badly. :D

Anyway, is there anyone out there who can provide some answers or direct me to the right place to get them?

Thanks for any feedback ... :)

Regards,

Doug

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask away, I'll answer what I can. And I believe someone will be along shortly to answer anything that I can't. You'll find this is a very active and helpful community. (As long as you're not a whiner. :biggrin: )

And if you like we can run a few small MP scenarios for some "on-the-job training." Just say the word. I work nights so I'm usually available most of the day.

Cheers and welcome back!

Doug,

Well I must admit when I've used it on a Mac I've run it natively via BootCamp (not an emulator). Indeed my "fill in" server is currently a MacBook Pro runnning Win XP via Bootcamp, but if your configuration works, great!

As for "training" opportunities, BG ANZAC is always happy to have visitors but we tend to run them 0900 - 1100Z so unsure what that equates to in the Great North.

Our next session is Thursday night (our time) which from here:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20120517T09

Looks like:

Ottawa / Toronto: 0500 (assuming your location information is accurate)

Vancouver: 0200

Which probably isn't too convenient?

But details of what will be covered is here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=16550

The guys are at various stages and I try to guide them to do it "right" whilst avoiding security issues and trying not to be too much of a martinet.

Of course closer to home is "Canada's Own" - 1 CAD (1st Canadian Armoured Division) and they often meet up on Wednesday evenings (your time).

Greetings, and welcome to the lair of tank-nuts ;-)

As you are from canada(?), the was one virtual unit 1st CAD me thinks.

Maybe 12alfa could help out?

The best we to get on here would be:

-try out the tutorials to get handy with vehicles

-keep it to ONE vehicle first and get good with it

-the handbook gives good info about the "new stuff" like laser range finder

dynamic lead and similar sistems

-then just jump in. The friday night games are a good place to go (esp. when you are from north amerika). The guys are realy welcoming and eager to help.

Believe me, most here didn't start as "masters"...there is no way one could embarass himself in a simulation ;-)

-try out the tutorials to get handy with vehicles

Yes, I'm a Canuck ... :)

I have started throught the tutorials and I'm on the 3rd one with the M1A1... freakin thing is a computer on tracks compared to the old Sherman .. :D

My day job can ramp up and get demanding, but I'll try to join one of the evening adventures that isn't too far out of my time zone. Being an old guy, I'm usually in bed early with the PJ's on (with the feet and trapdoor) and I tend to be up early (old army habit) ... :cul:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and feedback ..

Regards,

Doug

A Sherman tanker!

I think we have found a new winner for the "Veteran Tanker" award. :)

I have started through the tutorials and I'm on the 3rd one with the M1A1... freaking thing is a computer on tracks compared to the old Sherman .. :grin:

You haven't seen the CV90s yet :biggrin:

I think anything from Powered Traverse upwards is "New" compared to a Sherman.

Anyway welcome to the SB community.

Welcome to the forum BD.

There are a few Canuks around. I'd get in touch with 12Alfa, as he's the go to guy for everything 1 CAD. Also Tango29 has some Centurion time, so you should have no problem finding someone with similar experiences.

The SB Wiki is a great resource to read through as well.

Hello everyone ... :)

I'm an old tanker from the 1960's ... :eek2:

Originally qualifed on Sherman (M4A2E8) & Centurion

Group 3 Gunner (RCAC)

Group 2 Driver Mechanic Tracked (RCAC)

Group 2 Signaler (RCAC)

CC and Troop Leader Instructor

Regards,

Doug

Hooray! Another RCAC player, and qualified on Centurions as well. We can swap stories of seeing Sabot rounds fired on the HESH scale and watching the tracer disappear over Georgian Bay at Meaford (Doug'll know just what I mean!:biggrin:) I'm a '60's guy as well, much the same qualifications, so we'll get along just great. Welcome, Doug! :)

Sabot on the HESH scale was really impessive. 105 ranging technique called for the use of a .50 cal ranging gun. When you got the range, and were using HESH, you just touched off the round and that was it. BUT, if you were using sabot, you had to depress the gun and use one of five dots at the top of the graticle pattern to engage the target (Sabot=4850 fps, HESH=2400 +- fps). Of course, with the gun elevated for ranging and a sabot touched off, the effect was beautiful: that trace just continued to climb, out of the firing range, out of the training area, and was last seen starting its descent into Lake Huron. No surprise that fishermen were warned off prior to a range practice! Everybody was watching, everybody knew what had happened...and the poor officer cadet gunner had to get out of the turret and face the consequences! :diable:

105 ranging technique called for the use of a .50 cal ranging gun.

Now, that brings back memories ... :biggrin:

Manual and dongle arrive in the mail, so I guess I better start practicing to get ready for multiplayer ... ;)

Thanks for all the posts and warm welcome from everyone ...

I see the community hasn't change much from by experiences years ago. Still as friendly and helpful as ever .. :bigsmile:

Regards,

Doug

BTW, anyone using a Mac computer have a keyboard map and layout they use for it, that they could share with me?

Well if you had said 20Pdr then I'd have given you some cred, but 105mm L7 = "newbie". :)

As for the keyboard layout, at home I actually cheat and use a cheap (but entirely practical) USB keyboard for it.

When travelling I use one of those rubberised "roll up" type keyboards. This sort of thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Portable-Roll-Up-Keyboard-Keypad/dp/B001GC9C9Q/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0/182-8937037-5366454

Well if you had said 20Pdr then I'd have given you some cred, but 105mm L7 = "newbie". :)

WRONG!! :)

As officer cadets taking gunnery training, neither we nor our instructors knew where we'd be posted on commissioning. Those going to regiments in Canada would have the standard 20-pdr, but those going to Germany would have the upgunned Centurions with the 105. So the School modified the tanks in Gunnery Squadron so that the 105 graticle pattern was matched to the 20-pdr gun. Hence we took 105 gunnery using the 20-pdr. It was jury-rigged, but it worked. "If it's stupid, but it works,then it ain't stupid!"

"Newbie??" Ptooie! :biggrin:

As for the keyboard layout, at home I actually cheat and use a cheap (but entirely practical) USB keyboard for it.

When travelling I use one of those rubberised "roll up" type keyboards. This sort of thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Portable-Roll-Up-Keyboard-Keypad/dp/B001GC9C9Q/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0/182-8937037-5366454

Thanks.... :)

Can you use a Windows specifically layed out keyboard on a Mac computer? I didn't know you could do that. I wonder if they make a Bluetooth version?

Regards

Doug

Yes.

Just plug it in.

The only difference might be that there will be a key with a Windows logo where the "option" key is on a Mac keyboard.

When connected to a Mac it works as an option key, when attached to a Windows box it works as a Windows key. Its only a label.

Yes.

Just plug it in.

The only difference might be that there will be a key with a Windows logo where the "option" key is on a Mac keyboard.

When connected to a Mac it works as an option key, when attached to a Windows box it works as a Windows key. Its only a label.

Thanks ... :)

I'll have to go out and buy one of those that supports BT ..

Regards,

Doug

Ok, been logging some time in the M1A1 gunner seat tutorials and also the tank range....

It's been a lot of fun shooting at things that don't shoot back .. :D

Unfortunately, I don't have access to any PC, so I have to run SB Pro under Parallels on my MacBook Pro (system config below). I have the Parallels emulator using Windows XP set for 4Gb main memory and 1 Gb video memory.

With the frame rate shown, I'm getting about 15 to 23 FPS. It seems ok and I'm able to use SB fairly well, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to improve that FPS and get it up to at least 25 to 30 FPS?

I don't want to be a burden on anyone else in a multi- player game that causes me to be a drag on their fun. ;)

Also, I tried to contact the Canadian virtual unit using the link from here, but their web site seems to be non-existant now. Are they still operating, or do I have to get another unit to take me in? :biggrin:

Thanks for any feedback ..

Regards,

Doug

System Config:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Mac OSX 10.7.4

SDRAM 4-CT512M4SSD2

Capacity: 512.11 GB (512,110,190,592 bytes)

Model: M4-CT512M4SSD2

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0647

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 3437

gMux Version: 1.7.3

Displays:

LED Cinema Display:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: 2A0433LR6JL

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Connection Type: DisplayPort

Doug,

Unsure of any options to improve the frame rate, except perhaps checking that you haven't got the "detail" sliders at maximum? Or perhaps there are options in Parallels to optimize the graphics or some such?

But I think the fundamental issue is using Parallels, VM Fusion, or other emulation software. These are designed as a compromise for convenience so you can run Windows and Mac OS X concurrently.

In effect the chip is driving Mac OS X and then losses some more performance running Windows on top of that again.

I almost never need to use both at the same time so for "dedicated Windows sessions" where I accept the fact I can't use OS X, I start up in Windows via Boot Camp so Windows is running the machine directly without the extra burden of OS X as well. Not as convenient but better performance.

As for the Canadians, I think the best option is to post something here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=15172&page=10

And perhaps PM 12Alfa, McDLT or one of the other Canadians there directly. I don't think they have regular (say weekly) sessions.

More than happy to welcome you as a visitor to BG ANZAC but suspect the time zones would not be practical (unless you like getting up early)? :)

Edited by Gibsonm

Thanks partner... appreciate the offer, but the time zone thing might be a real problem. I'm an old guy and I need my beauty rest ... :biggrin:

The other thing I just tried was to move off of tutorials and the range, to try a basic scenario ....

Unfortunately, when I did that, my frame rate dropped to 4 FPS .. doh !! :(

It's virtually unplayable at that level....

So, I'm off to the computer store to buy Windows 7 and install it along with Boot Camp on the MacBook Pro to see if that works any better ....

I hope this darn Code Meter dongle thing works when I go and do that exercise. I assume all I need to do after I install Windows 7 with Boot Camp, is to re-download SB PRO and Code Meter under that new environment, re-installing both and then plug the dongle into it?

I'll let you know what happens ... :)

Regards,

Doug

Well this MacBook Pro has the same graphics card as yours and is running Windows XP (but Windows 7 should be fine too).

Its not a "regular machine" but its been doing sterling service for the last few weeks as a stand in while a desktop machine is being repaired / replaced.

So far its happily acted as a server a couple of times for seven player engagements and has been fine for use during TGIF sessions.

Its also happily acted as a host for people wishing to borrow licenses.

No issues with codemeter / dongle.