Training squadron or trainers?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, lurking in TS lobby.

Ah just re read your post I'm 24 hours early! ;)

Good rehearsal.

See you "tomorrow". :)

See you tonight... Friday morning your time as per previous "warning order" ...

I have everything working, albeit using a standalone LAN connection with fixed IP and having my Apple Extreme router passing data through all open ports with DMZ set on just for that IP address...

So, we shouldn't have to waste a lot of time dealing with getting connected and technical issues.

I'm only up to speed in the gunner's seat (normal mode) of the M1, so anything outside of that expectation will be shaky. My wife says "if you give him a coffee break, you have to retrain him"... :eek2:

Thanks ... :)

Regards,

Doug

I have the Airport Utility and can talk you through the "port forwarding" / "port mapping" as well and get you out of the DMZ.

Can you attach a pic of your port forwarding setup on your Apple Airport Extreme router?

Thanks .. :)

Regards,

Doug

Sure,

First question do you still have "Airport Utility" 5.6 or earlier (the old setup with the devices listed in a column on the left and the settings on the right) or do you have the newer one with the picture of the globe for internet access and a wire diagram of your network?

The screenshots vary.

Edited by Gibsonm

Thanks for the on-line training session Mark .... :)

Even though with me in the gunner's seat of the M1, we only lasted 5 minutes against the bad guys, I learned a lot about the "map" usage and other aspects of scenarios, not covered in manuals.

You have to admit, I did help with the deforestation project for the area, managing to kill a lot of trees with sabot ... :eek2:

Appreciated your time, but it's obvious I need to get much better before getting into multiplayer with more experienced folks. :D

I bet there's a lot of newbies like me who would benefit from a simple (like tank range) multi-player coop scenario that pits one tank crew and against a few AI bad guys? New guys could practice crew (CC/Gunner) positions until they got proficient. Heck, maybe that's all a lot of buyers of this game who just only want to do that? Even if it was a QB (Quick Battle) multi-player with some options to select force and type of match, that would be interesting.

Perhaps it could also have option instead of being only coop, to turn it into a one versus one scenario, which would also be a quick and fun multi-player setup for those wanting a real life head-to-head opponent as a quick fix bunch of games?

Anyway, maybe these exist now and I don't see them in the scenario areas, or how to set them up?

Thanks again... much appreciated.. :)

Regards,

Doug

There is a nice little scenario called "Tanks Pro PE" it is single player/tank Vs 9 enemy, not sure if it is already in the scenario files with the sim. Sean Patrick has modified a version with the T72 as the player vehicle available in the downloads section of this site.

The "Byto" series of missions are quite good as well and in the single player folder with the game.

The Austrian Firebrigade Missions are also quite good for single player.

There is a nice little scenario called "Tanks Pro PE" it is single player/tank Vs 9 enemy, not sure if it is already in the scenario files with the sim.

I've played that single player and I agree, it's simple and fun ... :)

What I'd like is that scenario to be multi-player coop so two of us newbies could work together in that single vehicle to learn SB and also have fun.

I'd also like a simple multi-player head-to-head scenario where one guy starts at one end of the map and the opponent starts at the other end, driving towards each other with good use of ground, locating and engaging the other guy. Again, the concept of quick start, simple plan and clear mission, solely designed so the newbie (or casual player) gets to know the product better, but has fun doing it.

Thanks for the feedback .. :)

Regards,

Doug

Edited by BadgerDog
Spelling

Okay. You can contact me by clicking my name above and give me your email address. The server is up now and will be so for about an hour (maybe more) if you remember my ip from last time. (I think it's still the same.)

Sent you an email...

I tried the IP from last time but nothing showing...

Thanks ... :)

I'm on TS as well ..

Regards,

Doug

Thanks .. :)

Any chance you can put up a server for a bit so I can test this port forwarding stuff I've now changed?

Regards,

Doug

Doug,

Well its running now (is up 24/7).

IP address as per earlier (not there at the moment so don't have easy access) and should still be in Teamspeak "chat" window.

Doug,

Well its running now (is up 24/7).

IP address as per earlier (not there at the moment so don't have easy access) and should still be in Teamspeak "chat" window.

It didn't appear using last night's IP address, but I was able to view Sean's server he put up for test.

Unfortunately, to be able to do that, I had to do port forwarding to the actual IP I'm running SB Pro on. I switched the port forwarding as a test to the MacMini server IP address running the dongle, but that didn't see Sean's server. When I switch the port forwarding back to my LAN machine's IP address, it could see Sean's server. :confused:

So, if each LAN machine/per license needs to be setup on the Apple Router for port forwarding to its own IP address, then there will be conflicts?

Regards,

Doug

Perhaps it could also have option instead of being only coop, to turn it into a one versus one scenario, which would also be a quick and fun multi-player setup for those wanting a real life head-to-head opponent as a quick fix bunch of games?

Anyway, maybe these exist now and I don't see them in the scenario areas, or how to set them up?

Hi BadgerDog

I haven't played it myself so can't comment on its quality but Werewolf created a single tank v single tank scenario exactly along these lines called 'A Matter of Honor'. You can download it here: http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/266/p13_fileid/2246.

Cheers

It didn't appear using last night's IP address, but I was able to view Sean's server he put up for test.

Weird.

Should have been alright. Anyway is going now on the 58.173.x.x address.

Unfortunately, to be able to do that, I had to do port forwarding to the actual IP I'm running SB Pro on. I switched the port forwarding as a test to the MacMini server IP address running the dongle, but that didn't see Sean's server. When I switch the port forwarding back to my LAN machine's IP address, it could see Sean's server. :confused:

So, if each LAN machine/per license needs to be setup on the Apple Router for port forwarding to its own IP address, then there will be conflicts?

Regards,

Doug

I think there are a few mutually exclusive scenarios here:

1. You want to put the dongle in "a" machine (lets call it a "License Server") that you can access and use SB from when away from home. This also minimizes possible damage to the dongle.

- This needs the port forwarding setup to access the license from the license server and the codemeter software on your laptop setup to use the "external"/WAN IP address of the router.

- This will also allow you to access SB while "at home" (inside the router) without reconfiguring the port forwarding (as port forwarding doesn't apply to "internal traffic").

2. You want to access the license from the "License Server" but use this second machine as a "Network Session Client" to an external "Network Session Host" machine.

- This needs the port forwarding set up so the traffic is forwarded to the "Network Session Client" not the "License Server".

3. If you want your non server machine to act as a "Network Session Host" then again you need the port forwarding setup to "point" to that machine.

Short of buying a stackable router and sending IP4 traffic to one address and IP6 to another (or somesuch), I don't think you can have the SB network traffic moving through the router being directed to/from two different machines.

Personally I think the easiest option is to move the dongle as required and change the port forwarding to which ever machine needs it.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Hi BadgerDog

I haven't played it myself so can't comment on its quality but Werewolf created a single tank v single tank scenario exactly along these lines called 'A Matter of Honor'. You can download it here: http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/266/p13_fileid/2246.

Cheers

Thanks partner .. :)

I'll see if I can find someone to set up a server for them and give it a try with me ..

Appreciate the feedback ..

Regards,

Doug

Weird.

Should have been alright. Anyway is going now on the 58.173.x.x address.

I'll try again this morning (my time) and let you know ..

Edit: Nope, no server showing at that address. I did see Sean's last night just fine, so I don't know what else could be wrong.

Short of buying a stackable router and sending IP4 traffic to one address and IP6 to another (or somesuch), I don't think you can have the SB network traffic moving through the router being directed to/from two different machines.

Personally I think the easiest option is to move the dongle as required and change the port forwarding to which ever machine needs it.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

I haven't found you wrong so far .. :D

I believe you're right in this assessment ...

It's most likely not possible to have the dongle plugged into my MacMini LAN server with two licenses, then have those two machines being able to go out on the Internet to BOTH play SB Pro at the same time on an external (to my LAN) server, such as yours.

Simply because you can't direct the data arriving at the router for the same ports to two different machines on the LAN. It creates confusion for each individual machine, although it would be an interesting experiment to see what happens if I set up a second forwarding set of instructions on the router for the second machine, while the first one is also there. ;)

Thanks for your help ...

Regards,

Doug