IMZ-Ural from outta left field

SeanPatrick

So, a few months ago I was at work when I went outside for a break. As I'm standing there (it's about midnight) a guy pulls up in full uniform riding an IMZ-Ural.

(Sorry the pic is so blurry, but I snapped it with my phone and it was dark.)

0825110003.jpg

Didn't get a pic of the guy in uniform as I thought that might be a bit rude. But I told him I liked his bike, anyway. He was returning a rented movie to a kiosk outside. (And performing recce for the invasion, I guess.) :)

Nice bike

Funny that, Dark and I were talking about Urals last wednesday :D There was one for sale in the local dealer back in 1976 when I went to pick up my Suzuki GT380. A friend used one as his everyday transport and eventualy equiped it up with a sidecar and all the fittings as a WW2 replica BMW. He even lived in a WW2 airfield observation bunker which he had dug out :)

Edit: a bit from the local field club about the "bunker" http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfieldclub/bulletins/2001/world_war_two_defences.htm

Another important defence related structure is the RAF Battle Headquarters. This was an underground command post, intended to be manned only during an attack on the airfield and was usually positioned on high ground overlooking the airfield for good visibility. Built of reinforced concrete with a complex of five rooms they could control the entire local defence around the airfield, with contact by telephone, radio and messengers to all local defence areas. At one end a square observation cupola protrudes 3ft. from the ground giving a 360deg. field of view.

The best surviving example is that at Castletown which was cleaned out, repaired and operated quite successfully as a military museum some years ago by a fellow enthusiast and myself. Skitten's is demolished and Wick's, unusual in that it was built above ground, has been completely demolished as it is sited close to the runway and posed a hazard to aircraft using the airport.