DCS: Combined Arms

Alicatt

Well, the exterior shots (like the tank firing and explosions) were well-made, as was the AC-10 with ambient ground light, but interior stuff like that isn't going to count for 'simulation' to any tanker.

I don't know, are there copyright infringements for making fully-interactive tank compartments? :)

Anyway, everything that I have seen has shown me that either you get a game where you get lots of awesome special effects and (sometimes) good storylines, or you get realistic simulators that often don't hold as much in the way of graphics, but do great things for interaction as far as crewing and gunning a tank.

Between these choices, obviously, SB Pro PE appeares to be the latter of the two extremes, however the graphics are seemingly being improved a great deal with the last two updates, and there's always the chance for other folks out there to use the 'mods' to create special effects for the rest of the community that could rival even some of those we see in BF3 and their ilk.

Of course, I'm speaking as one who is from the outside looking in, but hey...

We are talking about two different things here. combined Arms it is not an armour simulator the quality or level of Steel Beasts, this is even stated by the developers.

Steel Beasts is unbeatable on that field and will remain this for the foresable future.

However Combined Arms covers a gap not well covered by Steel Beasts properly that is the actual interaction between ground units and air units.

With Conbined Arms you can exercise CAS with human JTAC and human pilots, you can manage the ground war with a heavy and smart air component, be allied or enemy.

It is true that in the pure sense of hardcore simulation related to armour, Combines Arms seems to be far far away from Steel Beast, but I see it not as a replacement but as another ground sim where I can have the air component and air defence as a factor.

Lets admit it that on that very point of air defence and air influence on the battlegield, Steel Beasts Pro Pe is poor and we always play thinking the Wright Brothers have not been born yet. ;)

So for me both sims complement each other nicely.

I have a feeling DCS is exploring the market for military customers to show off what the future DCS World can do for them. There is already SB Pro and VBS2. And general customers already have SB Pro PE, ArmA2 and soon ArmA3. We can already use combined arms in those.

I have a feeling DCS is exploring the market for military customers to show off what the future DCS World can do for them. There is already SB Pro and VBS2. And general customers already have SB Pro PE, ArmA2 and soon ArmA3. We can already use combined arms in those.

That is pretty much what I think too, that ED want to get into the "Combined Arms" market for professional military sims, with ED also having the desktop A10C sim for the USAF to train with this does seem like a logical step forward for them.

I think the combined arms is a step in the right direction of a dynamic campaign to the likes of falcon. People have been clammoring for a dynamic campaign world since the inception of dcs. ED is on pace for some great things in the near future, the new "world" thing tying all the modules together is brilliant. Also of note is the incorporation of third party developers to pick up the workload of turning out more aircraft. A dcs f-15e has been assigned to a third party and I'm pretty excited about that. The possibilities are endless with this new development strategy, I can't wait to see how it turns out. I suspect I may finally be throwing away my falcon cd in a couple years. Hell, bms might be employed by dcs as a third party to develop dcs f-16 in a couple years.