Von Manstein as NATO advisor

Scrapper_511

Just caught a few minutes of Military Channel (Secrets of WW2?) and just learned that Von Manstein was pulled out of prison to serve as an advisor for NATO. His skill in maneuver was that great of an asset. Everything on that channel seem to be reruns for me so I was surprised about this one.

Just caught a few minutes of Military Channel (Secrets of WW2?) and just learned that Von Manstein was pulled out of prison to serve as an advisor for NATO. His skill in maneuver was that great of an asset. Everything on that channel seem to be reruns for me so I was surprised about this one.

Yes, I've often wondered about this. If the Germans couldn't beat the Soviets with superior equipment and tactics but numerical inferiority what made NATO think they could? Nukes? Wishful thinking?

I read that NATO, in particular US and UK were very impressed by the Wehrmacht's performance on the Eastern Front in 44/45(Moving Encirclement, Mobile Defense and so forth) and tried to gain knowlege and gather as much information from first-hand tactical and strategical reports and interviews of the commanding officers. Hence many reading tours and study seminars of Generals like Mellenthin, Manstein and Manteuffel in the USA.

Yes, I've often wondered about this. If the Germans couldn't beat the Soviets with superior equipment and tactics but numerical inferiority what made NATO think they could? Nukes? Wishful thinking?

NATO had to, so every little bit helped.

...If the Germans couldn't beat the Soviets with superior equipment and tactics but numerical inferiority what made NATO think they could? Nukes? Wishful thinking?

This is my sentiment exactly after studying the Eastern Front. However, is it naive to think that NATO air-superiority can be maintained and make a big difference in the ground war? Or does this issue with air-superiority remain along the lines of what existed in the Eastern Front also?

Some of the main reasons the Germans could not completely defeat the Soviets and they were quite close to make it, had nothing to do with tactics or maneuvering art from the Soviet side, but with some other factors such as the intelligence provided by Enigma from London that gave them plenty of information in advance about the Wermacht upcoming operations like happened in Kursk.

Other reasons were that Germany was fighting in several fronts at the same time. A very serious political error.

Another very relevant factor was war production. While German factories and cities were reduced to rubble, Soviet factories east of the Urals were working at full production and counting with the additional material support from the Allied.

So as tactical and strategically wise, Von Manstein knew very well how to handle Soviet Armies as he clearly demosntrated it, provide the Soviets didn't had Enigma, spies, someone else bombing German factories for them and so :biggrin:

All of course IMHO

• Members

Well, the remaining Wehrmacht generals had all the incentive in their memoirs to lay blame for everything that went wrong on the one guy who

a) was clearly out of his mind at the time

b) had conveniently committed suicide

c) was burnt to ashes

d) didn't leave a diary or other contradicting point of view

At the same time the public was all too willing to ignore that it was the same great generals who were

a) appointed by said corporal

b) were all falling over themselves to carry out his lunacy

Hopefully no longer. ;)