Infantry and Chopper Questions...

BrandonKF

Okay, so I've searched through the forums a bit to see if there are any answers to these, but I'm not sure if I can find them on my own.

Anyway, since I have been thinking about joining in on SB Pro PE, I have been thinking up some different scenarios for a campaign that would be somewhat in the thread of Zipuli's Brave Rifles campaign.

My ideas, however, also involve multiple company-sized units from different nations, just to give everyone a taste of the action.

The question that I have, though, involves the infantry and helicopter units.

Infantry-wise, is it possible to 'simulate' a special forces team with automatic weapons, such as LMGs, thus upping their firepower and giving them a distinct advantage against rifle-equipped opponents? The idea I had was to throw together an FO team, one missile-equipped team, and a dozen or so men equipped with LMGs.

In addition, I've looked and cannot find whether or not the Hind-E can be equipped with unguided rockets... are there such rockets in the game, or are there stand-ins for them? If not, then it's AT-6s all the way for me, I suppose.

I don't want to reveal my hand as far as the scenario itself, but these questions might come up for others as well, and I am curious. God bless, all.

-Brandon F.

Q1: "Don't think so". Since Infantry is added as platoons (or at the smallest unit a Section / Squad). Not at the fireteam / brick level.

So a Section / Squad is a MG Team and a Rifle team (albeit with assault rifles). You can change the calibre of the "rifles" from 7.62 to 5.56 etc., but you can't replace the rifle with say a H&K MP5 or Skorpion or whatever.

Q2: "Yes".

Refer the ammo loadout of the Hind-E and it has 80 x S-8KOM which are the rockets.

Other things that may help:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/258/p13_fileid/2219

Can change passengers in helos too.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/258/p13_fileid/2234

and

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/258/p13_fileid/2205

Wasn't thinking of using MP5s or Skorpions... didn't even know those were options.

-Brandon F.

Well that's good - because they aren't. :)

But the same rule applies, you can't change a Section / Squad with a MG / Rifle grouping into one with a MG / MG grouping.

You could perhaps achieve the desired outcome by just using MG teams and setting the MG to a MG3 instead of the default 0.50" M2HB.

No. (that's why I said it). :)

You can certainly create lots of Infantry Sections / Squads and delete the rifle part but then you end up with a half strength Platoon (unless maybe you made it a five Section / Squad Platoon [the biggest you can make] to start with and then after removing the rifle parts you'd only have the five MG Teams left).

That would give you almost the right manning but they wouldn't recombine as three MG / MG paired Section / Squads but would remain as five individual fire teams.

The other alternative is (as mentioned above) just use six MG3 MG Teams, but again they wont re combine.

Follow-up question to the infantry, Colonel. Would these need to be an attached unit to a transport vehicle in order to be picked up by them in a scenario? Example would be to have the infantry outside of their vehicles at the beginning of the scenario, then have to be picked up in mid-stream and unloaded at some other point.

From what I've read so far, I don't see a generic 'load/un-load' being the option for all infantry and IFV/APC units... seems that you have to have the unit composition including the infantry at the start of the mission, and only those unit's IFV/APCs are able to pick them up.

Dare I say “yes as per the guides I provided links too” .:)

If you stick with the “standard” passengers then “you“ (not the AI. You cannot currently script Blue or Red to unload troops at a set point, etc.) can load and unload as you please.

If you change the composition of the “standard passengers” (as you intend to do) then you need to load and unload manually.

Nor can you turn up with an empty vehicle and load a random bunch of passengers (the vehicle is linked to the passengers it starts with and they are the only ones it will load or unload).

There are work arounds to represent helos arriving at a LZ and dropping troops off (but as they are documented in the guides, I won't repeat myself here).