Soviet virtual unit.

Marko

Hi all

I have been contemplating starting a Virtual unit. dedicated to using soviet equipment only.

A sort of American NTC style concept.so If you Fancy taking on the best the west

Has to offer then sign up comrades.

If enough interest is shown we can arrange a meeting on team speak.

To iron out the details.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure, happy to.

The lack of a first person perspective (e.g. gunner's view) doesn't worry me as the quantity of vehicles forces you to take a "collective" view.

Of course the T-72M1 drivers can always follow my T-80s in the second echelon. :)

A mutually convenient time and networking issues will remain the main challenges though.

A mutually convenient time and networking issues will remain the main challenges though.

There is another group of individuals in the process of putting together a red based virtual unit (yours truly being one of them) and I can attest to Gibsonm's statement. Mutual convenient time and networking issues are indeed difficult but with patience a way will be found.

@Marko...I think your best bet is to try and attract others in your time zone for I fear anyone not in same time zone as you will find it difficult to make engagements on a consistent basis.

There is another group of individuals in the process of putting together a red based virtual unit (yours truly being one of them) and I can attest to Gibsonm's statement. Mutual convenient time and networking issues are indeed difficult but with patience a way will be found.

@Marko...I think your best bet is to try and attract others in your time zone for I fear anyone not in same time zone as you will find it difficult to make engagements on a consistent basis.

Hi Enigma.

Thanks for the advice.

I know from previous experience time zones are an issue.

Also connectivity Even in Europe can be problematic.

If there is enough interest I'm sure we can collectively resolve the issues.

hopefully we will have two red opfor units up and running.

Will you guys be using soviet style tactics as well as equipment.

This is something that i find very intriguing.

I once viewed an interview with a well respected US officer( just after GW1)

Who basically said he had so much confidence in his men

And the tactics they used. That even if they were using inferior equipment

He believed the outcome would have been the same.

Edited by Marko

Hi Enigma.

Thanks for the advice.

I know from previous experience time zones are an issue.

Also connectivity Even in Europe can be problematic.

If there is enough interest I'm sure we can collectively resolve the issues.

hopefully we will have two red opfor units up and running.

Will you guys be using soviet style tactics as well as equipment.

This is something that i find very intriguing.

I once viewed an interview with a well respected US officer( just after GW1)

Who basically said he had so much confidence in his men

And the tactics they used. That even if they were using inferior equipment

He believed the outcome would have been the same.

Well assuming by "GW1" you mean the popular term in the US for OP DESERT STORM (as opposed to the eight year long "Gulf War" [1980-1988] between Iran and Iraq that preceeded it).

Then I suspect even if they were using inferior equipment they would have won given the 100,000+ air sorties flown by the coalition before the ground forces crossed the border.

I suspect though he would be less enthusiastic about being on the Iraqi side with the inferior equipment, lower morale and being on the receiving end of the preliminary air campaign. ;)

With the Iraqi's surrendering to UAVs and Helos, I suspect you could have attacked with Second World War vintage gear and beaten the remnants of the Iraqi army.

Is this likely to be at the same time as the UK Armour meetings and is the primary role as OPFOR to them?

If so that may cause some friction.

No Mark its a stand alone Virtual unit.

My concept is to provide a credible Opfor for other units to pair against.

And to see how affective soviet equipment can be using none soviet doctrine.

No Mark its a stand alone Virtual unit.

My concept is to provide a credible Opfor for other units to pair against.

And to see how affective soviet equipment can be using none soviet doctrine.

Well I'm not sure how you can provide a "credible" Soviet opfor and not use their doctrine?

After all their doctrine provided much of the basis of the force structure and indeed vehicle design characteristics.

That is, a T-72 looks and works the way it is, and is employed the way it is, in accordance with Soviet doctrine.

Using it with say US, German or UK doctrine will probably result in failure.

Guest Killjoy

A Ruskie team could add abit more Umpf! to a scenario.

..and I dont think there's a need to boot anyone. A smaller OPFOR unit within a unit would be helpful for training purposes.

Edited by Killjoy

Hi Enigma.

Will you guys be using soviet style tactics as well as equipment. This is something that i find very intriguing.

That is the plan. There are many documents up on the internet with respect to Soviet era tactical doctrine. I have a few books myself. Go to Gary Owen's website, specifically the "Red Guards" section and you will see some excellent material on Soviet TO&Es, plus tactics. It is from this information I expect our unit to learn from and try and use in cooperative gameplay and H2H. Now having said that, scenarios are going to have to be created in which the numbers of red vehicles and how they are used are kept as real as we can from within the strengths and weakness of the game/simulation. I see a lot of AI scripting needing to be done in these scenarios for many of the AI only controlled vehicles on the red side. The red side is going to have to have numbers and no matter how many actual humans you have playing, you are still going to need quite a bit of scripting when it comes to working out a Soviet motorized regimental attack. I think it can be done with Esim's excellent mission editor and the scripting tools along with triggers. The human componant would then be able to concentrate on controlling a tank company or something like that. Details are still being worked out.

Yes this is what we do with trainees.

The scenarios are heavily scripted for Red (but with decision points, etc. to adapt as required).

A bit of work for sure but good fun. :)

I'm assuming you guys are actually using the PLA as the red force though. Yes? Are there any good online and public sources for PLA armored tactics? Or are they similarly based on Soviet tactics?

I'm assuming you guys are actually using the PLA as the red force though. Yes? Are there any good online and public sources for PLA armored tactics? Or are they similarly based on Soviet tactics?

No, not using the PLA.

Politically sensitive as to who they are based on but not PLA.