Campaign: Red Tide '85 (discussion thread)

Volcano

• Moderators

Hello everyone,

Now that Top Tank Platoon 2012 is complete, I wanted to host a Cold War era type campaign called "Red Tide". The campaign is self is straight forward Soviet / NATO engagements, set in 1985. It is not promised to be perfect, but I can promise you that it will definitely evolve into an improved "2.0" for future play.

The rules for the campaign are here (overall CO and Bn COs should read this):

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Red_Tide

(note that they are subject to change before and during the campaign, if it is discovered that something needs to be changed after first hand experience)

The TOE for the campaign, and the map is here:

www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Red_Tide_85

/////////////////////////////

The campaign is PLANNED to begin on Friday, July 13th (doom's day).

The scenarios will be played each TGIF, regardless of who is present. Also, every Wednesday at 2100 CST (unless told otherwise) we will have a "Recon Battle" scenario during the week, where the winner of that small battle will influence the actual scenario on Friday (think reconnaissance and preparedness bonuses). The first such "Recon Battle" will occur the Wednesday BEFORE the 13th, so technically the campaign begins on the 11th of July.

In any case, between now and then I need a few volunteers for commanders. Basically, what we need are:

NOTE: This list is a list of PREFERRED positions, the actual assignments are up to the overall commander of that side, which he will decide/assign at the first mission.

***OPFOR***

Overall commander: Darkangel (Friday and Wednesday(?))

1st battalion commander: Toyguy

1st Bn, COY commanders:
Dejawolf, Gary Owen,
Roguesnake79

2nd battalion commander: Sean, Enigma

2nd Bn, COY commanders:
Trackpad, Shot Magnet

3rd battalion commander: Tankhunter, JohnO

3rd Bn, COY commanders:
Zipuli, Tarball

***BLUEFOR***

Overall commander: Gibsonm (Friday:Main Body), 12Alfa (Wednesday:Recon Force)

XO: Krause

US battalion commander: dta Delta

US Bn members:
Tacbat
, Brun, WA Lancer, beta, Falcon 565, JazJar

German battalion commander: Eisenschwein

GE Bn
members
:
Kingtiger, Duke911, Mark Interiis, Falli, Mastec, Jake Peril

British battalion commander: Tonywjones44

UK Bn
members
:
Marko, PincerDK,
Phantom12,
Induction

...also if anyone prefers to be IN a certain battalion, then please let me know and I will add your name if you like. If you don't really care, then you can just pick which side/unit to play at TGIF.

------------------------------

Basically, volunteers state their preferred position. The final say comes down the overall commander at the time of the first match where he will assign everyone accordingly, heck, he may even promote/change assignments throughout the campaign based on performance too. However, the point is, everyone should state their preferred position and then the CO can then use this list to decide final assignments, so it will be very helpful for him to determine the official list.

The overall commander will command the side, and should be present on Fridays. The battalion commanders are second in commands if the overall commander is not present, plus they are the battalion/company commander if their respective forces in each scenario. As mentioned, the campaign will continue each Friday (and Wednesday for Recon Battle) regardless of who shows up, if the overall commander is not present on Friday then one of the battalion commanders will act in his place, etc.

So anyway, let me know if you volunteer for a position or have any questions.

Edited by Volcano

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators
Happy to be the Brit Regt Commander.

But unsure what kit you are going to give me as this is post Centurion and pre Challenger 2 and there are no Chieftan, FV432, Scimitar, Striker, Scorpion, etc. modelled?

Correct, we do not yet have all the units for British, so we have to fudge a bit there. You can find the details on UK battalion strengths and vehicles here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Red_Tide_85#UK_Task_Force

• Moderators
OK happy to go with Challenger 2 instead of Challenger 1 (massive improvement - unless you have broken parts of it?).

Nah, it will be Challenger 2 with nothing broken -- it is just a formality, but close enough. ;)

To make a long story short though (I should have clarified), basically, the OPFOR commander will choose a regiment to use on Friday. At the same time, the BLUEFOR commander will choose a company from each US, DE, UK battalion to use in a combined nationality task force. This BLUEFOR company selection can be influenced by the battalion commanders (ie. you guys can suggest to the overall commander which of your companies you would like to use in the battle, and he chooses from there). The strength of the TOE page there will update throughout the campaign so that everyone will know what the strengths are.

So basically, the engagements will be OPFOR Regt vs. BLUEFOR multinational Bn from week to week (the classic 3:1), but of course strengths will vary depending on losses that are suffered previously, and the composition will vary depending on the command choice of which units to use.

Do you want me to adjust the Wiki entry to reflect "UK speak" (Battlegroup for Task Force, Coy or Sqn for "CO", etc.)?

Actually, I did that at first but then I changed it back because I didn't want to confuse people with the difference in terminology. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt, sure go ahead. But I do have to stress that some of this is for game play purposes to keep things as simple as possible, and as interesting as possible (ie. the mixes task force organization versus a homogenous one).

Do you want me to adjust the Wiki entry to reflect "UK speak" (Battlegroup for Task Force, Coy or Sqn for "CO", etc.)?

Disregard - its locked. :)

FWIW though:

1 CO should be A Coy and have the CO in a "Warrior" instead of a tank since its INF heavy and would be commanded by the Inf Company Commander.

2 CO should be B Sqn to keep it simple.

3 CO should be C Sqn to keep it simple.

4 CO should be D Coy and have the CO in a "Warrior" instead of a tank since its INF heavy and would be commanded by the Inf Company Commander.

Can provide the callsigns too if required (or edit the scenario file accordingly if you like).

• Moderators
Sorry last question.

Where's my echelon?

Or does re arming and refueling happen between engagements and vehicles damaged are left "on the field"?

Correct, all that happens off map between missions, behind the scenes. You will have one company "on the line" and the rest are off map to the rear "somewhere".

• Moderators
Disregard - its locked. :)

FWIW though:

1 CO should be A Coy and have the CO in a "Warrior" instead of a tank since its INF heavy and would be commanded by the Inf Company Commander.

2 CO should be B Sqn to keep it simple.

3 CO should be C Sqn to keep it simple.

4 CO should be D Coy and have the CO in a "Warrior" instead of a tank since its INF heavy and would be commanded by the Inf Company Commander.

Can provide the callsigns too if required (or edit the scenario file accordingly if you like).

Done, but for now I will keep the tank as the CO -- reason being, well, there are some game balance issues at work (you are going to need those tanks).

• Moderators
Done, but for now I will keep the tank as the CO -- reason being, well, there are some game balance issues at work (you are going to need those tanks).

Actually, well, I changed it back to "CO" but put it as a note (SQDN) -- I recall why I chose to keep the terms uniform, because the rules reference "company" and I don't want any confusion. Also, we open the door to "kompanie" for Germans, I really don't want to get into all of that if we can avoid it. ;)

Fair enough I wont complain. :)

I don't think it needs to be edited again but just in case, the UK abbreviation for Company is "Coy" (not CO) and Squadron is "Sqn" (not SQDN).

(Note: Not an attempt to p*ss off the organiser before we start) :)

I plan to.

Kids on school holidays.And i will offer to decorate something

That Normally keeps the CO/wife. Happy.

Looking forward to it.

Great!

Surely GOC (General Officer Commanding) Home Command already has a big enough distraction in the form of a Granddaughter - why commit to something more? :)

Which Brit Sqn/Coy do you want to command (or are you going to lurk on the dark side)?