Campaign: Red Tide '85 (discussion thread)

Volcano

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll try the OPFOR side, but I'm pretty sure that I can't make it next week. Thereafter I should be in for the duration. Best for me to play with a platoon of T-birds initially, with an option for a company if the opportunity presents itself.

Great!

Which Brit Sqn/Coy do you want to command (or are you going to lurk on the dark side)?

Hi Mark.

My preference is the.2 CO (SQN) if possible.

I have to admit, having read the TOE for the campaign

The Opfor side does interest me though.

Thanks to all involved in this excellent campaign

And i hope it gets the support from the community

It deserves.

• Moderators
Oh, and one Thing: Can you change the TOE for the DE to 3 Plt´s with 4 Tanks each and 1 CO Tank ?

Or is this done already and I misunderstand something ?

Yes, this is done already, but I mistakenly have their single platoon in the TOE as 3 instead of 4. I will fix that.

I will assign you as the German battalion CO and let me know if you change your mind (of course you don't have to attend every session if you are unable to do so, no problem, someone else can take over for that game).

Please sign me up! My preferences:

1. Abrams - I will lead up to a company or a platoon.

2. Bradley - same as above.

3. Russian AI commander of companies/battalions - I know you probably really need this, so feel free to slot me in as needed

4. XO to a high level commander

Edited by krause

• Moderators

Wow, I am overwhelmed and excited about all the interest. :) Please, keep it coming!

I added everyone's preferred assignments to the list in post #1, if I missed someone then please let me know (post again). I should stress too, that the final say of who commands what resides in the overall CO of that side. This list in post #1 is basically what people PREFER which will help the overall CO assign roles; I should of made that more clear (I will edit the post accordingly). Anyway, the point is, the overall CO will have a list of who prefers what and then he can make his decision on who to actually assign to what accordingly. So, by all means if you someone else wants to command a BN then please speak up and you will also be added to the slot for the CO to choose from.

Just read through the Red Tide rules, and I was wondering what could a limited objective be? Seize this particular terrain, defend this area longer than XX.XX minutes? Something like that?

And regarding the Recon battle, is it dedicated reconnaissance units for BLUFOR or just tank and mech platoons taken from the companies?

Otherwise keep it up Volcano, this looks to be a lot of fun! :biggrin:

• Moderators
Just read through the Red Tide rules, and I was wondering what could a limited objective be? Seize this particular terrain, defend this area longer than XX.XX minutes? Something like that?

And regarding the Recon battle, is it dedicated reconnaissance units for BLUFOR or just tank and mech platoons taken from the companies?

Otherwise keep it up Volcano, this looks to be a lot of fun! :biggrin:

Yes to all. Limited objectives will be something that would typically be an objective in a TGIF scenario, something that won't be easy to accomplish, but it shouldn't be impossible either. In most cases both sides may have the exact same objective (traditional) such as hold/capture a specific spot on the terrain, but in other cases they might have different objectives entirely -- neither side will fully know until the end.

Recon battles are somewhat similar with their objectives, something difficult but not impossible to accomplish, although if one side is doing particularly bad then they might get a slight nod in their recon objective for that week as a sort of natural balancing factor of sorts. As for the recon battle units, they will consist of reconnaissance type forces/units which may or may not be the same units in the TOE of the line units. OPFOR will consist of their doctrinal forward elements such as the CRP, FP, and FSE -- so they will be quite uniform, but blue will consist of a mixture of reconnaissance type units that may vary. In most cases BLUEFOR recon units will consist of things like HMMWVs, M3 Bradleys, and in some cases M1 tanks (for US Cav), ASLAV-25 for SpPz Luchs and Leopard 1 or 2, and whatever we decide to represent British Scimitars, what-nots and so-forths. :biggrin:

• Moderators
I will be the overall commander for blufor if needed. I'd like to know what my responsibilities will be and how much flexibility I have to deploy units initially.

OK, I will keep you in mind, but no offense, I haven't seen you around too much for TGIF so I would rather prefer to see a TGIF veteran get first dibs, just because I want to make sure that it is someone that has proven to be around from week to week (providing that no real life issues prevent it of course). Also, it would be preferred if it were someone who has CO'd a company for TGIF too, someone who has proven to be a good goat herder. ;)

But then again, if no TGIF vet steps up then your name is certainly on the short list...

OK, I will keep you in mind, but no offense, I haven't seen you around too much for TGIF so I would rather prefer to see a TGIF veteran get first dibs, just because I want to make sure that it is someone that has proven to be around from week to week (providing that no real life issues prevent it of course). Also, it would be preferred if it were someone who has CO'd a company for TGIF too, someone who has proven to be a good goat herder. ;)

But then again, if no TGIF vet steps up then your name is certainly on the short list...

I understand completely.

I have played in Zipuli's Gatekeeper campaign and I am a military historian who does milsim stuff in his free time - for what it's worth. Maybe I can be an XO? I think XO will be an important slot as well to organize such an extensive campaign.

Basically, I am at your disposal in whatever facility I am needed. I am also signing up with at least 5 guys from unitedoperations.net - so i'd like to be with them if possible.

Thanks for organizing this!

If you need a Blue CO, I can herd cats with the best of them but am unsure as to the pre and post requirements (and what the external service demands will be during the period).

Don’t want to jump in and then have to apologise for dropping the ball.