Campaign: Red Tide '85 (discussion thread)

Volcano

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the red side have cookies? :)

No doubt the best that the combined efforts of Cookie Plant No.6 and the Central Cookie Production Plan for 1930 - 1935 could produce.

Due to the heroic efforts of the plant staff, there was a surplus of the now famous "Aniseed / Tofu / Anchovy Cream Delight" made so Comrade you need to eat your way through those before the plant commences production on a new run.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators

FWIW, Mogwa (the campaign co-coordinator) and I have discussed the Recon Battle schedule and we have decided that what we will do for the Wednesday Recon Battle is the following:

• The first such battle will be played as mentioned before at 2100 CST on Wednesday JUL 11th.
  • If there isn't 6 or so people in attendance, then we will likely try the 2nd week's recon battle (on Wednesday JUL 18th) to 1500 CST, which would be an attempt to cater to you guys in Europe (it would be 2100 in England, 2200 in Germany).

But as mentioned, we will see how it goes and what the turnout is in North America for the Recon Battle, but I suppose the point is that if the turnout is very little then we WILL actively seek to move it to a slot that draws more people who want to actually participate in it. Whatever we do we will certainly announce it of course.

FWIW, Mogwa (the campaign co-coordinator) and I have discussed the Recon Battle schedule and we have decided that what we will do for the Wednesday Recon Battle is the following:

• The first such battle will be played as mentioned before at 2100 CST on Wednesday JUL 11th.
  • If there isn't 6 or so people in attendance, then we will likely try the 2nd week's recon battle (on Wednesday JUL 18th) to 1500 CST, which would be an attempt to cater to you guys in Europe (it would be 2100 in England, 2200 in Germany).

But as mentioned, we will see how it goes and what the turnout is in North America for the Recon Battle, but I suppose the point is that if the turnout is very little then we WILL actively seek to move it to a slot that draws more people who want to actually participate in it. Whatever we do we will certainly announce it of course.

For a complete list of relative times:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20120718T20

Certainly 0600 in Sydney is more "doable" during the week than Noon.

• Moderators
So is the Redfor Division limited to the yellow deployment area? Or a single regiment?

Be sure to read the rules if you haven't already:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Red_Tide

But for the sake of the fact that I probably didn't explain either one of these in the rules...

For unit size in battle: OPFOR is a division in total and they use only a brigade at one time, BLUEFOR is a brigade in total and they only use a battalion at one time.

As for the yellow bracket, that is explained in the rules: it is the maximum distance that the next OPFOR attack can shift. Basically the bracket is the division front, and OPFOR can decide to shift up or down the current axis of advance at the expense of giving up some ground.

Unfortunately mid-afternoon Saturday (local time here) is difficult for me with a two-year-old running around and wanting daddy's attention but I've negotiated some time out on Saturday, July 21 to join the fray.

I'm happy to fulfil any role in Gibsonm's organisation if the UK Task Force is in action on that date and he's leading it (rather than being in overall command) or - in order of preference - an M1, M2 or M113 slot in the US Task Force or a Leopard 2 or Fuchs slot in the DE Task Force. I can command up to squadron / company strength but equally happy with a troop / platoon depending on requirements.

Cheers

Yes to all. Limited objectives will be something that would typically be an objective in a TGIF scenario, something that won't be easy to accomplish, but it shouldn't be impossible either. In most cases both sides may have the exact same objective (traditional) such as hold/capture a specific spot on the terrain, but in other cases they might have different objectives entirely -- neither side will fully know until the end.

Recon battles are somewhat similar with their objectives, something difficult but not impossible to accomplish, although if one side is doing particularly bad then they might get a slight nod in their recon objective for that week as a sort of natural balancing factor of sorts. As for the recon battle units, they will consist of reconnaissance type forces/units which may or may not be the same units in the TOE of the line units. OPFOR will consist of their doctrinal forward elements such as the CRP, FP, and FSE -- so they will be quite uniform, but blue will consist of a mixture of reconnaissance type units that may vary. In most cases BLUEFOR recon units will consist of things like HMMWVs, M3 Bradleys, and in some cases M1 tanks (for US Cav), ASLAV-25 for SpPz Luchs and Leopard 1 or 2, and whatever we decide to represent British Scimitars, what-nots and so-forths. :biggrin:

Cool, And you will decide which, what and where it is?

Awesome, hmm yes the Pizarro is already taken as stand-in and is a little too powerful. Maybe just go with ASLAV-25s for Brits also? :)

Awesome, hmm yes the Pizarro is already taken as stand-in and is a little too powerful. Maybe just go with ASLAV-25s for Brits also? :)

Except the Rarden cannon on Scimitar only carries 165 rounds in clips.

The chaingun on ASLAV is a much different beastie.

Also ASLAV is amphib, Scimitar isn't (without prep anyway).

etc.

Except the Rarden cannon on Scimitar only carries 165 rounds in clips.

The chaingun on ASLAV is a much different beastie.

Also ASLAV is amphib, Scimitar isn't (without prep anyway).

etc.

And the scimitar runs on tracks, tiny bit of a difference there.

• Moderators

Yes, I will decide on the objectives for the Main Battle scenarios, and the campaign co-creator (Mogwa) will decide on the objectives in the Recon Battle scenarios. As for the Main Battle scenario objectives: where possible I will try to present two or more objectives to both sides to allow them to choose what they want to go after. All they need to do is accomplish one, accomplishing several will not have any additional bonuses other than going after several will increase the odds that you capture one, or not, depending on the circumstances of course. Some of those objectives may be shared by the enemy, or they may be different to what the enemy objective is altogether. All of the objectives will be obtainable -- they won't be something at the far edge of the map for example, but they won't be easy either, and they will place emphasis areas of the map which would be fought over (such as a cross roads, town or hill).

Also, objectives may vary from week to week to give a nod to one side of the other if that side is doing particularly bad. Essentially it is the one thing that will be decided on the fly as a sort of handicap/balance factor to try to meet the skills and capability of the side -- sort of like some overall commander adjusting his goals to meet the ability of his troops on the ground. Of course the objectives only determine so much anyway, luck with the Attachment Roll plays the other half. ;)

I would like if possible to get a meeting with all the guys who will play red (Command positions anyway) before the campaign kicks off. When would be convenient with you guys?.

I'm on Central Time here in Kansas City so what ever you guys setup I will be there.

I would like if possible to get a meeting with all the guys who will play red (Command positions anyway) before the campaign kicks off. When would be convenient with you guys?.

I can make time basically anytime as long as I'm given at least 24 hours notice.

Can you send details of when you will hold the meeting

Blue force side would really like to know as we need to re-task a satellite

Regards

Blue force participant.

PS.we have already planted a spy.

Well it is set in the cold war.ha

With a bit of lead I should be good for just about any time. That said, evenings are best for me.