Question about terrain..

Malakie

Hi,

I am finally able to get into really digging into Steel Beasts Pro PE so bear with me as I learn the nuances of the sim finally.

A couple questions have come to mind at this point..

First, why do rocks block tanks and tracked vehicles? Large boulders I can understand. But smaller rocks even on the large side should be able to be tracked over easily or pushed aside at worst. Yet every time I try to move through a rock field, my tracked vehicles are stopped. Is there a specific reason for this design decision or something that will be fixed/changed in the future?

Next, Why do units separate attachment when they get a certain distance from each other?

Finally, Is there any plan to allow external guns (i.e. commanders mounted 50 .cal) to be mouse enabled for aiming etc?

One other thing, any mods or scenarios that are highly recommended for use?

Thanks for any help...

Todd

First, why do rocks block tanks and tracked vehicles?

Sometimes it depends on the theme settings. If you're not getting enough traction, you can try opening the sce [or map] in the mission [or map] editor and adjust the theme or swap it out for a new one.

Next, Why do units separate attachment when they get a certain distance from each other?

Seems as though this has gotten a little more sensitive recently. My guess would be to allow individual units more freedom of movement in case of an emergency like having to get out from under an artillery barrage. But that's just a guess. Ssnake or Volcano or someone else might know better.

Finally, Is there any plan to allow external guns (i.e. commanders mounted 50 .cal) to be mouse enabled for aiming etc?

Don't know about this one, sorry. (Did you try hitting F3 and then clicking somewhere on the screen?)

One other thing, any mods or scenarios that are highly recommended for use?

There are so many, really. Most of the more recent (i.e. designed for the more recent releases) will not disappoint.

Todd

Well it depends on which vehicle (and which view) you are talking about.

The 0.50" on the M1A1 HA has "mouse traveres" if you like but manual elevation and depression because that's what is on the real vehicle (hitting the keyboard key to adjust for line reflects the use of the hand crank on the actual vehicle).

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
First, why do rocks block tanks and tracked vehicles?

It's an abstraction. The rock clusters are intended to symbolize that it is not traversable terrain for vehicles. They are internally treated as a single object, not just as a collection of minor stones. When we introduced them, it was done for performance reasons. Having a gazillion of these rocks on the screen could cause serious slowdowns for a number of reasons. So we grouped six or seven rocks into a single objects that covers a larger area. At the same time we didn't want to make them too big.

There is a cut-off distance beyond which it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to treat the vehicles as one single maneuver element. If, for example, one vehicle is not immobilized (read: has still a working engine and tracks) yet still is stuck in some swamp hole, the user should no be kept in the dark that one of his vehicles can't follow the rest of the platoon. That's best done by detaching it visually on the map screen.

Not if the real vehicle is awkward to use as well. For example, in the M1A1 you get powered traverse horizontally but not in elevation. Therefore the hand cranks for elevation are simulated by arrow keys. It's intentional.