Tank Platoon in Attack -mission pack

Zipuli

Just uploaded the mission pack, should be available soon...

In this mission, you are in command of a single tank platoon, with a mission to attack along route Papa, destroy the enemy in your way and cut a major highway. Stay sharp, they say the enemy has reserves in the area! Good news is that the FO is supporting you according to your plan with indirect fires!

The enemy plan and deployment is randomized each time you open the scenario.

There are total of 6 missions in this mission pack. The task at hand is the same, but you have a choice in equipment and weather conditions:

- Leopard 2A4

- M1A1(HA)

- T-72M1

- summer with 4k visibility, winter with 1,5k visibility

The western tanks have a warsaw pact OPFOR, T-72 has 1980s american OPFOR, with M60s and such. For maximum sadistic experience, go for T-tanks in winter. The platoon has only 3 tanks and the enemy has TIS in their tanks and ATGM launchers!

tankplatoon.jpg.36862e5dbd5702b9f7ff4810

tankplatoon.jpg.36862e5dbd5702b9f7ff4810

Good to hear you like it!

Now, maybe some quick AARs on how the mission(s) went and did you manage to accomplish the task at hand? Same with the company mission.

And as for T-72 version, AAR file or it didn't happen :D

Hi Zipuli

I just tried the scenario with the Leopard 2A4 platoon.

I destroyed most the enemy counterattack and only serious tank casualty was my driver but the mission still ended before the time was up and i received a 20 out of 100 resulting in an incomplete mission.

Is this correct?

Unfortunately I don't have the AAR.

• 6 months later...

After watching cobra's attempt to beat the impossible, here is a little tip:

First step:

Blue 1) Move a section (or in T-72 mission 1-2 vehicles) to Teuroinen area to overwatch the school area

Red 1) Fire artillery at the school area

Blue 2) attack with the second section to the buildings and consolidate

Red 2) Fire artillery at P24 buildings

Blue 3) Move the supporting section west of the school to overwatch the P24 buildings...

Step 2:

Blue 4) supported by the other section, attack with left section along the road some 300m and establish eyes on P25-P26 area

Blue 5) assault with the other section to P24 once the overwatching section is ready. Establish eyes on the OBJ area, neutralize anything you see, use artillery... Remember to move up to fire only, and return to the (relative) safety of the buildings...

RELOAD all vehicles...

Step 3:

Grey 1) fire a smoke screen to the narrow open, to cover your next move

Blue 6) move the section from P24 to the barn on the right boundary. Move so that you cannot be seen from OBJ and the area west of that. "Slice the pie" so that you can establish eyes on the P30 direction, so you can clear that area with fire to allow...

Blue 7) ...the other section to move along the road to establish eyes on due south. Before moving in to fire positions at the edge of the forest, fire artillery at the...

Red 3-5) ...areas to neutralize any infantry threats. Then move up to engage with direct fire.

RELOAD all vehicles...

Final step:

Grey 2-3) isolate the OBJ area by firing smoke screens on both sides of it. This way enemies without TIS cannot engage you while you...

Blue 8) ...assault with the whole platoon across the open field to the (relative) safety of the OBJ area buildings. Engage everything you see prior to this move. Be ready to engage everything on the move with SUFFICIENT VOLUME OF FIRE. For you non-combatants out there, that means a shitload of lead. And then some.

Consolidate at the OBJ, remember to watch your flanks and repel any counterattacks you will face.

Remember that the enemy has same amount of equipment and units each time you run the mission, but each unit has X possible plans, that are randomly chosen at the beginning of the mission. This mission is better in multiplayer COOP where you can utilize the full firepower of the platoon (AI is not good at that).

Plan.jpg.588d11893dc3c7ee67a111c5ce65563

Plan.jpg.588d11893dc3c7ee67a111c5ce65563

• 2 weeks later...
It kinda spoils the fun if you blast all the potential spawn points with artillery before you actually spot the enemies. ;)

Here's a winter M1A1 run I recorded today:

7NpnmKvjjOo

Nice. I totally agree with your sentiment about over-use of artillery. Artillery is 'Queen of the Battlefield' and a war winner in RL, but blasting your opponents area willy-nilly or simply advancing behind a creeping artillery barrage and mopping up any left overs makes for a very dull game IMHO.

Nice. I totally agree with your sentiment about over-use of artillery. Artillery is 'Queen of the Battlefield' and a war winner in RL, but blasting your opponents area willy-nilly or simply advancing behind a creeping artillery barrage and mopping up any left overs makes for a very dull game IMHO.

Maybe someday SB allows defining number of arty ammunition available to make this more realistic. In RL a platoon could maybe have 1 firemission available before the need to ask for more, and then not getting it ;)

For me, at some point in the scenario, all the artillery I ordered got the status 'waiting for approval', and never materialized. Can't recall how many mission I ordered before that though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...