Challenger 2 Colour pics?

Kingtiger

OK ive been testing that colour out a bit... so for comparions here the alternativ is:

1. The colour I got from pictures.

CR2D2.jpg

2. The colour Tacbat served me

Original.jpg

3. a Modified version, I have done it a bit sunbleached kinda.

modified.jpg

Any of them or non of them? I want to get an as good colourmatch as possible.

/KT

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi once again KT

and once again excellant work. Have you tried using black for the C/S boards. This may not be authentic for a 2RTR vehicle but it is used widely by other regiments.

If you have ever saw CR1 pics from Gulf War 1, all the vehicles from 7 Armd Bde with white C/Ss were Scots DG and the vehicles with black C/Ss were the QRIH.

Keep up the good work

Irish

I agree to, as stated in my first post with pics the C/S is from the old Woodland skin an will be replaced by black C/S (already started with the tripes on the barrel)

guess I will be working with No1 then, may darken it a bit first because when I add wear&tear it will get a bit pale.

/KT

OK the markings are finished. Ive added some kind of ID flag (I guess its for the airforce to recognize own units right?) that ive seen on some photos.

the sand colour seems to be almost mustard yellow insome way, compare the original pic with the colour I have here...

basrah_cr2.jpg

and

Basrah_SBCR2.jpg

Looks like im getting closer, gonna try to get ewen closer.

and here is the ID flag, hope its right?

IdflagCR2.jpg

/KT

CharlieB: Nice, can you ask him what registration number he has on it? cant find a good pick of that. No2 would be what brigad marking does 2RTR have above the gun?

RN12: thinking of those TIS IFF things? cant, they would look damn silly on the leo2A5dks extra armour. only part that will be good is the rear of the turret. I either have to position them between the smokelauncher and extra armour, wich will make them look grotesct small, or on the extra armor itself where it will look damn out of place.

next problem is the front ones. the GPS disrupts the armour form on the front wich would give the effect that the left front side have a full panel while the right side would have a 50% panel. So I decided to leave them out.

/KT

There are 2 Osprey books out on the Challenger2, one is the Modelling book, and the other one of their standard line books on the subject by Simon Dunstan. Small, but very good illustrations, and he does a good job covering how the tank was used in Telic, including the RSDG incident where a Challenger deflected a Milan round, and 7 RPGs.

Ive got to say, the desert Skin is IMHO the best of the lot. Its a lovely mustard colour in photos, and you have captured it exceptionally well.

Might I request similar treatment for the M113, to fill in for the FV432 (and latterly the 'Bulldog'). The Sand and Green scheme as seen at Warminster would also be highly welcome, and make it exceptionally difficult to pick up on the Plains map.

Pleasing to see how popular British equipment is with Steel Beasts fans. Hopefully we might see one of these magnificent machines in the sim before it leaves service.

On the other hand, a Leopard2 in British colours isnt so fanciful. The British army trialled a Leopard2 back in the Mid 80s fitted with a new turret (with the L11 gun). Didnt go any further because we were already procuring Challenger1, but the turret was developed and eventually became the turret we see in Challenger2. So its not a bad stand in at all IMHO.

Sounds like I need to do a british force pack :P

CR2 in desert, Woodland and BATUS scheme (BATUS is fast and simple to fix)

CV90 in Woodland (for Stalins Falklandscampaign) and BATUS (might do a quick desert as well)

M113A3 in woodland, BATUS and Desert...

I just need to get hold of a M113A3 template from Deja thoe.

Will I become a British honourcitizen then? :)

/KT

Ill try and look a photo of the Vickers Mk7 out (The Leopard with British turret). I cant help but think that would make an interesting scheme as well. You might want to consider a scheme for the Bridgelayer as well. Sorry, I guess you have a lot on your plate already. :)

Yeah, i guess you can call yourself a British citizen. You guys pretty much colonised York anyway. :)

There are 2 Osprey books out on the Challenger2, one is the Modelling book, and the other one of their standard line books on the subject by Simon Dunstan. Small, but very good illustrations, and he does a good job covering how the tank was used in Telic, including the RSDG incident where a Challenger deflected a Milan round, and 7 RPGs.

On the other hand, a Leopard2 in British colours isnt so fanciful. The British army trialled a Leopard2 back in the Mid 80s fitted with a new turret (with the L11 gun). Didnt go any further because we were already procuring Challenger1, but the turret was developed and eventually became the turret we see in Challenger2. So its not a bad stand in at all IMHO.

Do you have more information about that RSDG CR2 incident? I only found wikipedia as a source and would love to hear more about that.

The Leo2 (Improved) was even in the talks of being the Chally1s successor, but lost due to obvious reasons against the CR2. ;)

Do you have more information about that RSDG CR2 incident? I only found wikipedia as a source and would love to hear more about that.

The Leo2 (Improved) was even in the talks of being the Chally1s successor, but lost due to obvious reasons against the CR2. ;)

There is an episode of Battle stations on Discovery channel that covers the incident far better than I can (and im sure the British army contingent on here can give a better account). Suffice to say according to the commander his tank was ambushed and seperated from the rest of his troop. The gunners primary sight and commanders CIV were disabled either by RPG or 7.62. The commander ordered the driver to backup, and blind, backed into a ditch and pulled the tracks off. At some point while all the excitement was going on, the vehicle was hit by a Milan (possibly on the TOGs box) and at least 7 rpgs (though one accounts puts the volley of fire as up to 99 RPGs, which presumably missed). For a while they gave back fire with the Coax, but I gather either the aux sight was damaged, or the gun jammed and they were treated to the sound of people stamping on the turret and trying to pry the hatch open. Then the rest of the troop counterattacked, and forced the Iraqis off with a mix of mg and Hesh.

The tank was recovered with some difficulty, and the vehicle and the crew were back in action inside a week. At some point it then had a point blank hit from a 100mm gun from a T55, which it seemed to shrug off with little more than destruction of a headlight. Through the conflict, the main problems they had (the challenger fleet) were destruction of roadwheels (which were just eaten up for various reasons) and a lower power to weight ratio by (at least some of the time) using American Avgas from a US army pipeline. Reliablity seems to have been pretty good.

I dont think Challenger1 was half as bad a tank as often claimed. It mainly suffered from 1970s designed electronics, but its often forgot they were pretty good when designed, and the TOGS equipment, whilst poorly integrated with the tank, was pretty good. A friend of mine told me they once watched a couple park in the woods with their TOGS system one day. By the time they finished, the car was glowing bright white. Anyway, I can see why they bought challenger2, though in hindsight a smoothbore may have been a better buy, whatever advantages the Rifle undoubtedly gave.

KT, appologies for being such a demanding taskmaster. :) Suffice to say its good work, and we Brits appreciate all the work you put in. The knighthoods in the post.

KT,

I am getting very excited. I could have a tank that looks like my first Tank at Warminster.

I you replace the St Andrews Cross with the Attached Chinese Eye.

Change the C/S to 10 in a triangle and the VRN to DS23AA then it would be my first tank. They would also need to be black.

With reference to your earlier question. The Comd can't remember the VRN.

The Bde marking for Falcon 2RTR from Telic is the Desert Rat of Y Armd Bde as you already have.

The Batus/Warminster BG colour scheme is spot on.

Excellent work

The Red CV90 looks like a Batus Saftey Warrior!

56e83c607c7b1_ChineseEye.jpg.372cdc95719

56e83c607c7b1_ChineseEye.jpg.372cdc95719

KT,

I am very impressed.

I noticed on the current download that there isn't a turret file. I know its eye candy and not critical on the "green" version but will look a bit strange on the desert, BATUS and Warminster versions.

Not that I am sure you are busy enough already.

I am very impressed, pleased with your work. I can feel a change in skin coming on again!

CharlieB