About Loading or Re-loading and Priorities on M1A1!

gunnyhighway

I know the changing ammo key and the double tap.

Yet, the loading on the M1A1 being automatic there are some instances when the loading does not happen while there is still plenty of ammo.

Is there a key to force the crew to load?...

If the storage compartment is damaged, is there a way to make it a priority to be fixed first as in SHIII?

If the loader is killed, can he be replaced by the Driver?...Gunner?...While the TC replaces the driver or the gunner?...Those are situations that a crew is trained for in combat. The tank does not sit still in an engagement under the logic that since the driver died ie of a heart-attack, the TC has to get in touch with his "Union" to see if it is ok for someone else to drive the tank, etc...(please don't give me the answer that since the driver died, other mechanical damages immobilize the tank, ok!...There are some instances where snipers love sniping off heads peaking out of tanks, or some crew members are killed and the tank is still a viable contraption).

The loader should always load a new round as long as there is ammunition in the turret. (You may have to find a safe spot, click one of the unit icons in the lower right of the screen and select reload from the menu.)

If ammo storage is damaged, that tank is out of commission, period.

Yes, the TC or gunner will take the place of the loader and vice versa, but not the driver. And sorry, but since the driver died, "other mechanical damages immobilize the tank."

I don't understand the need to find a safe spot to reload. How come should I be looking for a safe spot to reload?...What is "Finding a safe spot" is suppose to represent or illustrate in the reality of a combat engagement in order to reload?

Damaged in my vocabulary does not mean destroyed of damaged beyond repairs. Yet here, it means that the storage is whether Totally and Utterly destroyed or in mint condition, even if one slot would be damaged, and an empty slot for that matter. To be or not to be!

How come not the driver?...How much the driver of a Tank is in a unique position that NO OTHER crew member could not replace him especially a TC, that undergo training in every position to become a TC?...What is it suppose to represent or illustrate as a real doctrine that a driver can only be replaced by another driver?...In reality, a Tank and it's entire crew is lost to combat because the driver died?...I am the one being lost here!

Perhaps I need to clarify:

RE. loading: When all of the ammunition in the turret is used, the crew must bring rounds up from the hull and put them in the ready rack. This process is time-consuming and renders the tank vulnerable as the crew is busy and cannot perform their primary functions. Therefore, it is not a good idea to just sit where the enemy can possibly fire at you while you reload. So the procedure is to break contact with the enemy, move to a "safer" location, reload (from the hull to the turret) and then re-engage the enemy.

RE. ammo storage/driver damage: Some of the damage models in SB are a bit simplified out of necessity. Remember this is a tactical simulator, not a reality simulator. If a round manages to penetrate either the ammo storage or driver's compartment, chances are there will be extensive damage to the interior of the vehicle/crewmembers. And SB assumes that the driver will not stick his head out of the hatch during an engagement. (AFAIK the AI driver is always buttoned up.)

Is there a chance that everything will still work? Yes.

Is it likely? No.

Still one question unanswered: is there a way to prioritize repairs or are they all repaired at the same time

The short answer is "no".

As meantioned repairs take a set time.

You can't reduce the time to replace a ballistic computer from say 2hrs to 15mins.

You need to get your damaged vehicle back to a recovery/repair asset (or get the asset forward) and once you link up those numbers will start to reduce as the repair is carried out.

Sometimes a crew can repair something on their own but a recovery asset will reduce it (reflecting their better skill, tools ,etc.).

Sometimes something can't be repaired at all without the recovery asset (say swapping a power pack).

Sometimes something can't be repaired at all because its a "return to workshop" type repair, not a "field" repair.

I know the changing ammo key and the double tap.

Yet, the loading on the M1A1 being automatic there are some instances when the loading does not happen while there is still plenty of ammo.

Is there a key to force the crew to load?...

If the storage compartment is damaged, is there a way to make it a priority to be fixed first as in SHIII?

If the loader is killed, can he be replaced by the Driver?...Gunner?...While the TC replaces the driver or the gunner?...Those are situations that a crew is trained for in combat. The tank does not sit still in an engagement under the logic that since the driver died ie of a heart-attack, the TC has to get in touch with his "Union" to see if it is ok for someone else to drive the tank, etc...(please don't give me the answer that since the driver died, other mechanical damages immobilize the tank, ok!...There are some instances where snipers love sniping off heads peaking out of tanks, or some crew members are killed and the tank is still a viable contraption).

in the abrams, and leopard, the ammunition storage is a compartment separated from the main turret interior compartment. when a round in this storage is hit, it causes a chain reaction where all of the rounds starts cooking off. however, because of protective blast doors, and blowoff panels in the roof, the explosion is vented out of the turret.

naturally the ammunition compartment will be trashed beyond repair, with the ammunition racks partially melting and adhering to walls and such, and most likely melting and warping the walls.

as for the driver damage, in 99% of the cases, the driver is sitting inside the vehicle behind armour. if he sticks his head out on many tanks, his head will obstruct turret traverse. an RPG or main gun round punching into the drivers compartment, will usually end up trashing all sorts of vital stuff, like the steering yoke, brake linkages, and such.

as for the driver damage, in 99% of the cases, the driver is sitting inside the vehicle behind armour. if he sticks his head out on many tanks, his head will obstruct turret traverse. an RPG or main gun round punching into the drivers compartment, will usually end up trashing all sorts of vital stuff, like the steering yoke, brake linkages, and such.

I dont think any tank driver would ever do that during engagements though and If the vital stuff is trashed and the driver is still alive he could always use the battle override to get the trashed tank to safety, hopefully. Thats when its time to see how much luck you have.

I dont think any tank driver would ever do that during engagements though and If the vital stuff is trashed and the driver is still alive he could always use the battle override to get the trashed tank to safety, hopefully. Thats when its time to see how much luck you have.

Thats sounds more like a fault rather than battle damage.

If the Driver Compartment is hit, the interior is decorated with arterial red.

And they usually hose out the mess, (After Bagging the big bits)

There is no armour between the driver and his controls.

What damages the controls damages the driver

Thats sounds more like a fault rather than battle damage.

If the Driver Compartment is hit, the interior is decorated with arterial red.

And they usually hose out the mess, (After Bagging the big bits)

There is no armour between the driver and his controls.

What damages the controls damages the driver

Thats why I said "driver is still alive", also there could be damage to the controls if the tank was hit in the front. The driver could survive, if the driver's compartment wasnt hit directly. There are many if's. If the crew was not killed they could traverse the turret to the rear and the loader could crawl in to activate the battle override.

One of the coolest additions to Pro PE was how the commander can order the loader to pry the breech and change rounds. Wow. I never thought they would add that but they sure did! I was in a pinch last night in a night mission with T-72s crawling all over me. No FLIR, a track out. A T-72 ran the road behind my tank, I had a sabot in the breech. I couldn't fire over the rear quarter of my tank (sabot petals would imbed in my engine deck) so I ordered the loader to replace the round with HEAT. Sure enough, he did it and BAM! Got 2 kills.

Thanks for adding it.

• Members
... I had a sabot in the breech. I couldn't fire over the rear quarter of my tank (sabot petals would imbed in my engine deck)...

No, they wouldn't. Not even if we modeled them (which we don't). Not in real life either. Sabot separation occurs only several dozen meters behind the muzzle with actual impacts on the ground only some 300...800m away.

Well 6mm of rubber is a stretch (no pun):biggrin:. We use steel/Kevlar plates that are rather heavy:decu:. So yes there is more Armour to go through after the AFV's Armour that will surly be DE-graded when it hits the body Armour (if it's not rubber).:debile2:

No, they wouldn't. Not even if we modeled them (which we don't). Not in real life either. Sabot separation occurs only several dozen meters behind the muzzle with actual impacts on the ground only some 300...800m away.

The Discarding Sabot separation starts after the round has left the end of the gun tube. The Discarding Sabot comes off the Penetrator as showen here in the beginning of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNjzK8bNUU. There is a danger zone area that extends out to 1000 meters and 70 meters on both sides. This danger is for Troops may be struck by the discarded components.

I had a sabot in the breech. I couldn't fire over the rear quarter of my tank (sabot petals would imbed in my engine deck).

The main gun extends over the back deck so you would have nothing to worry about. The Azimuth Interference Zone goes out from the rear deck center line 70 degrees on both sides. This switch raises the Main gun to avoid the Thermal Shroud from hitting the back deck when you traverse over the rear.

• Members
The Discarding Sabot separation starts after the round has left the end of the gun tube. The Discarding Sabot comes off the Penetrator as showen here in the beginning of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNjzK8bNUU. There is a danger zone area that extends out to 1000 meters and 70 meters on both sides. This danger is for Troops may be struck by the discarded components.

Yes, but the separation process is comparatively slow at the beginning (if compared to the velocity of the projectile assembly), so before the petals have moved away a meaningful distance from the sabot, the entire round has already traveled dozens of meters.

Well if the 105 Sabots are any indication of the distance of separation from the penetrator, and hitting the ground, I would say 100Ft or more.

But what would I know, spending all that time on the range:redface:

Ahh, I'll just look it up:biggrin: on the web