Call for OPFOR Players

Tonight we play the third battle in the excellent H2H campaign put together by Mogwa and Volcano. It is quite exciting to be able to have human crew actual Russian vehicles as opposed to NATO vehicles standing in as Russian. You learn very quickly the technological differences between the opposing sides' armor.

Currently, those on the OPFOR team are handicapped by small numbers of humans crewing the vehicles for OPFOR. We have very few people as opposed to those playing BLUEFOR. We have large numbers of AI platoons to deal with.

I would like to invite any and all "watchers" of this forum, "fence sitters" so to speak, people who have this excellent sim but are unsure as to whether to play online with others. Come on in...the water is great.

The OPFOR vehicles are not that sophisticated, thus easier to learn. They are good vehicles in which to start out with. Please see the Multiplayer Netiquette thread sticked at the top of this forum for additional details when playing online.

Hope to see you there tonight.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would have no problem switching over. I've been Bluefor the past two missions, but at the lowest level so I don't have any info on Blue strategy/planning. However, I know switching is "frowned upon" so I've been reluctant to do so. But if the need is that great, I would be happy to uh...defect as it were. (As bad as that sounds. :) ) Let me know if you really need some players.

Seriously if you want / need to switch I have no objection.

Of course would prefer you to stay.

But the whole reason why I am not using the "Red Tide '85 Blue" thread is so people can move back and forth without me needing to worry about you still being able to read our "secrets" (where the coffee is kept, etc.).

Worse case is you know how Blue intended to fight the last battle, based on what your component commander has told you and what you experienced.

If however you have already been briefed on what will happen in 2hrs or so (Conops sent out to Blue commanders a few hours ago and may have been passed to you) then I'd rather you wait to swap sides until "tomorrow".

Also please purge your whisper lists if you swap over.

Nothing personal. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators

So far I don't think it is necessary to swap sides, better if we get the fence sitters and all those who signed up on OPFOR who have yet to participate yet *cough cough* to play first. At some point near the end that may change though, there might be an emergency call for OPFOR 3+ weeks from now. ;)

I can offer a tip here. If you have the same problem next week, just leave most of the AI units on the start line. That makes things much more manageable. It's a technique I frequently use to good effect when playing offline. :diable:

So far I don't think it is necessary to swap sides, better if we get the fence sitters and all those who signed up on OPFOR who have yet to participate yet *cough cough* to play first. At some point near the end that may change though, there might be an emergency call for OPFOR 3+ weeks from now. ;)

But if Red don't have any vehicles left - which looks highly likely - calling for players won't help much. :debile2:

I have played for Leader Konstantin Chernenko/ Mikhail Gorbachev for two games now and its great fun, the T-72M1 have to be the most underestimated tank in the game :-) I will try to play as many games i can, but might have to work on one or two.

I have played for Leader Konstantin Chernenko/ Mikhail Gorbachev for two games now and its great fun, the T-72M1 have to be the most underestimated tank in the game :-) I will try to play as many games i can, but might have to work on one or two.

Glad to work with you last night. Well Done! :biggrin:

...you still interested?

I will gladly go where I am needed most. However, now that we are several missions deep I'm becoming quite fond of my team and am developing a vested interest in seeing "us" win. ;)

Having said that, I have intentionally left myself out of the Bluefor information loop...so if you really need bodies over there just let me know. Loyalty is admirable, but so is fighting a fair fight. I think Blue outnumbered Red something like 3:1 last match.

• Moderators
I will gladly go where I am needed most. However, now that we are several missions deep I'm becoming quite fond of my team and am developing a vested interest in seeing "us" win. ;)

Having said that, I have intentionally left myself out of the Bluefor information loop...so if you really need bodies over there just let me know. Loyalty is admirable, but so is fighting a fair fight. I think Blue outnumbered Red something like 3:1 last match.

OK, lets see what happens next Friday. If OPFOR has only 7 or less then yeah, they will need someone to defect. I understand though that you might be building a bond with the team, so it is up to you of course. What we really have to avoid is so few OPFOR showing up that the campaign ends up ending because of that, but so far it is just a concern. I will put the call out over TS next Friday if it becomes an emergency.

Any other "regulars" out there that have been so far sitting on the fence until now? I saw Dr. Device show up 30-40 minutes after we started planning... if only he could participate. ;)

Same as before from my point of view, hate to see you go but if "needs must" then its fine.

Ideally though you'll know before you get the Blue briefing .:)

Roger that. I'll show up early and hang out in the main SB lobby until I find out if Opfor needs anyone. That way I won't hear anything I shouldn't. :) I missed most of the debrief as well due to my bad habits. (I don't smoke in the house.) So I'm as neutral as possible info-wise.

My guess is I'll be staying on Bluefor, though. Which is fine.

OK, lets see what happens next Friday. If OPFOR has only 7 or less then yeah, they will need someone to defect. I understand though that you might be building a bond with the team, so it is up to you of course. What we really have to avoid is so few OPFOR showing up that the campaign ends up ending because of that, but so far it is just a concern. I will put the call out over TS next Friday if it becomes an emergency.

Any other "regulars" out there that have been so far sitting on the fence until now? I saw Dr. Device show up 30-40 minutes after we started planning... if only he could participate. ;)

Perhaps having a few top quality players rather than an undisciplined multitude is actually an advantage? :diable:

Perhaps having a few top quality players rather than an undisciplined multitude is actually an advantage? :diable:

It's just a question of "span of control:" how many units/icons can one person effectively control over a frontage of X km against a heightened level of engagement over a lengthened time frame before his efficiency level drops below the minimum requirement?

"A few top quality players" with many units/icons all engaged directly and concurrently across, say, a six kilometer front (or more) makes things interesting, no matter how experienced the player. For example, I had 22 last night, 30 in the last recce battle. Not complaining, but that's just the way it is, so we suck it up and do the best we can to give BLUE a worthwhile run for their money. This is a first rate campaign that Volcano has set up, and it simply needs a reasonable number of players on both sides to make it work.

See you Wednesday!! :sonic: