M60 sights?

Stratos

• Moderators
Can someone confirm this please?

Yes, I believe that is correct, IIRC the TC has a box that has the readout from the LRF. Whether he has to lase the target, I don't know, but I think it has more to do with the LRF being added later, and an old way of thinking where the TC gave the gunner the range (or at least verified it).

Never seen a M60 gunner sight but I read the M1 sights are directly based on the Patton gunsight. Can someone confirm this and provide pics of the M60 gunner sights please?

Thanks.

M60A3 is equipped with AN/VSG-2 thermal periscope. You can see the gunner sight in attached images.

M60A1 doesn't have thermal periscope and LRF. The TC have M17A1 coincidence image instrument to calculate the range and it is connected with ballistics computer. The gunner is equipped with M32E1 day periscope but i don't have any pictures.

VGS-2.jpg.fa25f3891a2dec7cf7cfa584105e03

VGS-2-2.jpg.428b2550008d05dd771390bd4dc3

VGS-2.jpg.fa25f3891a2dec7cf7cfa584105e03

VGS-2-2.jpg.428b2550008d05dd771390bd4dc3

Looks nearly the same

m-60-10-m35e1.jpg

But in M48 and M60 I think the TC is getting the right distance, the Gunner is just put it in his mechanical "Computer" or FCS.

Correct. I served in M-60's and the A1 version.

The rangefinding in one of those is done with telescopic stereo sights. You can see them on the turret sides the optics are in those bubbles sticking out.

When looking thru the TC's sight there will be a double image.

The TC locates the target and using a hand crank adjusts the double image of the target so that it becomes one.

The adjustment is connected mechanically to the analog fire control computer which adjusts the gunner's sight accordingly.

Very quick to use and very accurate.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/250/p13_fileid/1810

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/250/p13_fileid/1813

Description: US Army field manual on tank gunnery that predates introduction of M60A3 and M1 series main battle tanks. Techniques discussed primarily relate to M60A1, although M48, M551, & M60A2 are mentioned. This is being uploaded in two parts due to size.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/250/p13_fileid/1810

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/250/p13_fileid/1813

Description: US Army field manual on tank gunnery that predates introduction of M60A3 and M1 series main battle tanks. Techniques discussed primarily relate to M60A1, although M48, M551, & M60A2 are mentioned. This is being uploaded in two parts due to size.

Thanks a lot!

So it's pretty much like an old camera viewfinder?

Yep...

Except two separate optics are used, separated by the width of the turret. As mentioned previously each optic is housed in the bubble like enclosures on each side of the turret of the M-60 and M-60A1.

Assuming correct modeling of the M-60A3 it seems that the LRF is housed in the right side bubble and I would guesstimate that the left side bubble is unused.

SS_21_33_11.jpg.2058b966e885d4df859f188d

SS_21_33_11.jpg.2058b966e885d4df859f188d

Edited by Werewolf
Add Picture

Yep...

Except two separate optics are used, separated by the width of the turret. As mentioned previously each optic is housed in the bubble like enclosures on each side of the turret of the M-60 and M-60A1.

Assuming correct modeling of the M-60A3 it seems that the LRF is housed in the right side bubble and I would guesstimate that the left side bubble is unused.

Oh I dunno about that, might get a couple of coke cans in there? :)

Not quite.

She was built that way to achieve almost all the protection she needed while retaining the speed required.

The financial issue came into effect when they continued to delay the uparmouring programme (which had been identified as a weakness) during the inter war years.

Edited by Gibsonm