How do extra licenses work?

johnki

So, I might finally be able to afford SBPPE. But I have a question first.

I read something about one Codemeter dongle having up to 8 licenses or something similar so that others can play off of your Codemeter...program. Does it come with those 8 licenses or do I have to buy each one separately? And then to buy them, is it as easy as filling the payment form to have one dongle, and one extra license, or do I need to make a special request of some kind?

Thanks in advance. I'm just a bit confused on how it works.

The dongle comes with a single license pre loaded.

If you want more then you buy them separately (and pay for their upgrade separately).

The additional licenses let you run the software on extra machines.

So I have my dongle filled so I can let seven other people try the software out, each one using one of the spare licenses, but still retain a license for my use.

Or I could setup multiplayer at home with up to eight machines running on a LAN but all drawing their license from the one dongle.

Edited by Gibsonm

Well if you went here:

http://www.esimgames.com/purchase.htm

Which details how to buy (new copies, additional licenses, etc.), you'd know. :)

But effectively US$25 to buy and then a reduced amount to upgrade in due course.

When at some point in the future, you upgrade to the next release (let's call it 2.7X) then you need to upgrade all the licenses.

Otherwise you'll have one computer running 2.7X and the others capped at 2.654 (or whatever was current when you bought the additional licenses).

Are the extra licences available today, and if so, how much would

they cost?

I just upgraded to 2.6, bought a new supercomputer and has built a

game lan here at home with two very strong machines...

character0284.gif

Hmm I'd say the most astonishing thing and luckiest thing is that you have someone to play with at home.:)

They are a great deal. Once the licenses are loaded on your Dongle:

1. The dongle sits on a usb port on your LAN (typically one of the PCs)

2. You install SB on as many PCs as you have licenses for.

3. In each PC go into the codemeter's Webadmin and under configuration you check the box named server. You may also have to enter in the LAN ip address of the PC that has the dongle hanging off it.

4. Now as long as the PC with the dongle is turned on, you can run simultaneously as many Steel beasts sessions as you have licenses on the one dongle. Great for LAN action.

Los

3. In each PC go into the codemeter's Webadmin and under configuration you check the box named server.

You only need to do that on the one machine with the dongle to tell it to share the licenses (i.e. to act as a server).

I guess if you moved the dongle around you'd end up doing it on all the machines.

You may also have to enter in the LAN ip address of the PC that has the dongle hanging off it.

No you don't - it automatically searches your local subnet. :)

You only need to specify an address if one computer is say on the 10.x.x.x subnet and the one with the license is on say 192.168.x.x.

Usually a LAN has DHCP running on the Router so all devices on that LAN should be on the same sub net.

if you would like a little written tutorial to connect to a server I can send it to you. PM me your email address.

i have mine set up to hand out my spare licenses, i even use my server for my license as i do not have to mess with the dongle.

It's really swell how it works honestly - it's a great compromise for when you want to be able to play with friends and they are unsure if they want to commit to the full price yet. It reminds me of "spawn" copies during the early days of gaming. It's a great way to support esims and still have the flexibility and freedom to play how you want.